Your Future Car.

Dust

Just want some inputs on what you guys are going to be doing in the future as far as purchasing something "different or better" for yourself.

Because quite frankly, we all want to buy something that we can stick with for a long time. No more trades, rip off deals, technical problems etc...

So who is here already saving up, planning, looking into the car which is gonna be yours for a long time and money well spent, no regrets.

Personally as I stated in other threads, The LS 400 series gave a lot of people here a joy ride and nothing but positivity out of it. My next big thing is going to be LS 430, Whatever year I am going to buy it, that's the year of the model I am probably going to finance and stick with it. But my time hasn't come yet.

:cheers:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheers: Could not help but "smile" at your entry! You cannot go wrong at all with the LS series. (I drive a 1990 LS400 original and am in love still with the car)

I happen to be a licensed California new car broker so have lots of contact with my clients. I have NEVER heard one negative word regarding any Lexus since their inception!

You will not go wrong shooting for an LS or any other Lexus. Let me give you that encoouragement!

If you happen to live in California, give me an e-mail a couple of months before you are ready as the LS is a difficult car to arrange!

Happy dreaming!

Ron Johnson

ronsadvice@aol.com

http://ronsadvice.com

Having given up my 90 400 for a 02 430 is an awesome bounce. The NAV is a "must", if you are a gadget freak. I feel like I am back in college, studying the 3 manuals. Such a well thought out vehicle. I promise to do a whole right up when I figure it out myself. :blushing: Please don't think I am being Snobbish as I waited a long time for this and just want to share the experience and give you guys something to shoot for in one of life's few pleasures...a Lexus. And most importantly, a first hand critique of moving up to the 430 from a 400, which is such a great car and gave me years of pleasure. Honestly, I still look at 400's and see and feel the pride of the owners who have "cared" for them and give them a thumbs up. I can't describe it, but giving up the 400 was like losing a beloved pet. Never felt that way about a car and I have an appointment next week for "Lost Lexus Therapy" or LLT...... LOL

me, i happened to purchase a ls out of pure curiousity. just looking for something reliable(japanese) and that was well cared for (not a civic) and large(also not a civic). and stumbled upon a ls400, and never looked back. seriously i want one of each lexus cars, GS3/400 98-2004, IS, but next will definately be a SC300 92-2000, and based on my 90ls, any model year after that will obviously be better and more reliable, because the technology gets better!

just thinking about that sc.................. :whistles: candy red with tein edfc and a mean bodykit with vertical doors................. soon, real soon! i'll post pics when it happens

but yes another ls is definately on my wish list! you cant go wrong with 'em. :cheers:

You can't go wrong with the LS430.

A few months ago (may 3rd, 05) i purchased an 05 LS430 and it's the best car i have ever owned. I also had an S class, and the LS is still better if you ask me. The smooth ride, quiet, it's just a wonderful car. Now my wife has the LS and i'm stuck with the rx330.

Deffinetly wait for the navigation and smartkey system on the 04's+. UNBELEVABLE is the only word i can use to describe the LS. Just so much better than any other car. The best Lexus!

I cannot imagine selling my 98 GS400 - it will do me for a long time to come. The LS is a great car, but the style of the 98-2000 LS makes me want to upgrade the 92 for one of them, preferably green metallic with a tan or black interior. That's all I need......

As to changing brands that will not happen. I have never been so satisfied with any car as I am with these two Lexi. The only question is when to move up in model year.

If I have a regret it is that I took so long to determine how good Lexus are. I kind of ignored them, and although I knew they had a great reputation, I continued to mess about with other brands. I had respect for Japanese cars, but as I don't like front drive at all, I dismissed them all. My mistake. The first LS I drove made me a believer. I had no idea such cars existed.

Last week I dismounted the Michelins on the LS as I had a couple of slow leaks Costco was unwilling and unable to fix. I cleaned the beads carefully on the wheels and tires, and then I painted the stock 15 inch wheels with Sikkens Autocryl urethane, to match the silver colour of my GS 17 inch wheels. I then remounted the tires carefully and seated the beads properly. Then I found a shop that has a Hunter road force balancer, and took just the wheels to them. They balanced the tires without using outside weights, stick on only behind the spokes and clip on on the inner wheel edge. Unbelieveable difference. The car is a magic carpet ride - as it should be - and I can't imagine that it drove any better when it was brand new. Incredible. And the silver looks spectacular - the car looks brand new.

yes....we are planning to get something but unfotunately it wont be a lexus <_<..as my prents have reached that age when they're this close to retireing...so my dad wants 2 try something new...BMW or Merc...dont know yet but we will get one by november..cant wait....he'll probably only get one or (if were lucky) two more cars after that as he has accomplished his goal of being able to afford a lexus (set back in 89')...and has lost interest in cars....

I had respect for Japanese cars, but as I don't like front drive at all, I dismissed them all.  My mistake.  The first LS I drove made me a believer.  I had no idea such cars existed.

Actually, Toyota didn't have any front wheel drive cars until the early 80's. All the 60's & 70's Toyotas were rear wheel drive. Financially well-to-do people living in liberal, progressive States like California and Massachusetts bought lots of luxury rear wheel drive Toyota Cressidas in the late 70's and 1980's. In the late 60's and early 70's some also bought big, 6 cylinder powered luxury rear wheel drive Toyota Crown's and Corona Mark II's.

I own a 1996 LS400, and my future car could be one of the following:

Lexus 2006+ GS430

Mercedes Benz R class… I think this is a great vehicle but reliability is a concern.

Subaru B9 Tribeca… I wish this vehicle was a little bit faster.

It sounds crazy because these vehicles are totally different but I just like them… I wish I could get them all

I had respect for Japanese cars, but as I don't like front drive at all, I dismissed them all.  My mistake.  The first LS I drove made me a believer.  I had no idea such cars existed.

Actually, Toyota didn't have any front wheel drive cars until the early 80's. All the 60's & 70's Toyotas were rear wheel drive. Financially well-to-do people living in liberal, progressive States like California and Massachusetts bought lots of luxury rear wheel drive Toyota Cressidas in the late 70's and 1980's. In the late 60's and early 70's some also bought big, 6 cylinder powered luxury rear wheel drive Toyota Crown's and Corona Mark II's.

Being fifty years old I remember those cars quite well Monarch. I still have a fond spot for the Datsun 510 and 240. But those old Toyotas - a face only a mother could love, and ponderous handling to match. Which is why I had a 72 BMW 2002.

My next car will not be a Lexus, and it's not because I don't love the quality and reliability of mine. I am 6'4, and Lexus simply doesn't accomidate drivers over 6'1 or so like Mercedes, BMW, Lincoln, or Cadillac does. The LS430 is the most comfortable Lexus yet, but it's still no where near the competition at MB. I really like the new DTS, I've always loved the Town Car, and the current S500 is timeless and is the most roomy car I've ever driven. I love them all, so I guess an extensive test drive and who's more comfortable will decide. I'll never get rid of my '95 though! B)

My next car, if I can afford it, would be the new 2007 hybrid LS (I like Curtain airbags and Bluetooth technology...). But I won't get rid of my 1990 LS though.

My wife has a 2006 MB S500, and the engine noise does't sound as smooth as my 1990 LS400. I still feel like metal to metal grinding, or sort of.

And the first problem ( at ~900miles ) was the AC stopped working on a very hot day. The Outside Temperature Gauge showed -37 Farenheit (!) instead of +92 F. Maybe the thermostat coudn't go higher than +92F, and swung back to bottom of the scale to -37F. And maybe that confused and locked the AC operation in the Off position(?).

MB dealer said they have replaced the thermostat to fix the problem.

My next car, if I can afford it, would be the new 2007 hybrid LS (I like Curtain airbags and Bluetooth technology...). But I won't get rid of my 1990 LS though.

My wife has a 2006 MB S500, and the engine noise does't sound as smooth as my 1990 LS400. I still feel like metal to metal grinding, or sort of.

And the first problem ( at ~900miles ) was the AC stopped working on a very hot day. The Outside Temperature Gauge showed -37 Farenheit (!) instead of +92 F. Maybe the thermostat coudn't go higher than +92F, and swung back to bottom of the scale to -37F. And maybe that confused and locked the AC operation in the Off position(?).

MB dealer said they have replaced the thermostat to fix the problem.

Definetly a LS, Year to be determined at a future date. ;) Maybe a 1990??? :lol:

My plans for the future are another lexus LS. When I get rid of my BMW I will probably get a 98 LS400 or a newer ES300 it depends on the price of the car and the price of gas. But today after we got gas I figured out we were somehow getting like 25 MPG. i dont think thats right but I have been cutting down on the AC a lot on the roads. Luckily for me

I drive mostly in the mornings and evenings so the weather isnt that hot and rolling the windows down is nice. The BMW is a little higher but not like the Lexus. Sometimes I wonder why I even got that car. I should have gone for the Lexus all the way. Its been a good car so far though. I have almost 80k on it and when it gets to 106k I wll get rid of her. I cant wait to take the Lexus out and see Transporter 2 tonight!

thanks!

As much as I loved my 90' LS400, I am thinking my next car will probably be a larger GM car, or some others I have in mind.

I never thought I would say this, but I very much like the new Hyundai XG350, as well as the new Kia Amanti. Warranty is super and from what I can gather, they both are very reliable and refined automobiles. Something I never thought I would say about a Hyundai, but I have heard that their quality has exceptionally improved. :) Styling of the Amanti is still questionable. I am still not sure if I like it, but I do like the warranty and the luxury it has. I think I like it because it is different, but sometimes I wonder if it is not "too different" if that makes any sense. Its hard to believe that this car (Amanti) is heavier than a 01-05 Lexus LS430, but it is according to the data.

If I go with GM, (General Motors) I would like to get a Cadillac Escalade ESV, which is the large SUV, but with fuel prices now, that will be out of the questions. I really like the late 90s DeVilles, as well as this latest generation, so that is considered as well. However, I would probably go for the 2006 Impala, which is an all new design. Very nice looking car I think. Still thinking about the rear end though... what do you think? :unsure:

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/photogallery/

As far as trucks go, I really like the new Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tacoma, so more options there with those.

If I was going to buy a ultra luxury car, I would buy a 05' BMW 7-Series (extended wheelbase). Reliability is probably questionable, but I really like the styling of this car.

With all of that said, if I were to buy a brand new car, I would more than likely get a new 2005 VW Jetta before any of the mentioned cars above, *if* the reliability ratings have improved. I have been considering one ever since they came out. I am just waiting to see the reliability ratings, because I know that the previous generation Jetta has not been all that great. They do rate extremely high in crash tests. The VW Phaeton is a dream car. Its nice, but $66K+ (for base V8 model) is much more than I would pay for an automobile. I have only seen one of these cars in person. It was in the hospital parking lot. I could not believe how huge the car was. Odd to see a VW that large. They do not even sell them at any of our local VW dealers. Only sold in certain cities- basically only very large cities. Not sure about anyone else, but I love these cars, especially the extended wheelbase model.

http://www.vw.com/phaeton/photos_ext.html

For now, I am really happy with my Suburban (and no payments) :D , so I may wait at least a year before I go for the "new" car.

post-4085-1125888092_thumb.jpg

As much as I loved my 90' LS400, I am thinking my next car will probably be a larger GM car, or some others I have in mind. 

I never thought I would say this, but I very much like the new Hyundai XG350, as well as the new Kia Amanti.  Warranty is super and from what I can gather, they both are very reliable and refined automobiles.  Something I never thought I would say about a Hyundai, but I have heard that their quality has exceptionally improved.  :)     

If I go with GM, (General Motors) I would like to get a Cadillac Escalade ESV, which is the large SUV, but with fuel prices now, that will be out of the questions.  I really like the late 90s DeVilles, as well as this latest generation, so that is considered as well.  However, I would probably go for the 2006 Impala, which is an all new design.  Very nice looking car I think.  Still thinking about the rear end though...  what do you think?  :unsure: 

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/photogallery/

As far as trucks go, I really like the new Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tacoma, so more options there with those.

tisk, tisk, tisk LOL :P

I don't know what I'll get next time, probably wont be for another 2-3 years.

Maybe an LS but I might try a Mercedes next time.

As for LS size remember that the LS is significantly smaller than cars like the S class and 7 series, and a totally different car than the Town Car or DTS (ugh I HATE the new DTS...) Also remember the new LS will have a LWB option and will finally be in the same size class as the S class and 7 series.

We are hoping that Toyota will sell wagons in the U.S. again. Our ideal wagon would be fairly large and based on the Avalon but we would buy a Camry wagon if Toyota ever sells them here again.

I've ridden in Toyota Avensis Combi wagons (not the Avensis van) a few times outside the U.S. and I like them more that the similar size Camry they replaced: http://www.toyota.is/?PageID=11 I wish they would sell them here.

As much as we want a wagon, I can't bring myself to leave Toyota for another brand - we keep cars a looong time. For now, I'll continue to rent a truck or use a delivery service when we need to haul something that won't fit in one of our cars.

"Toyota, would you please build an Avalon wagon for us?"

Yeah, I love to visualize the future!

I will get a 98-00 LS400 next. Also I would like to get a GS or SC.

Something tight and fun! I cant wait to post the pictures on the site. You know all three pointing towards me! There is no doubt LEXUS is and will be a symbol of my success!

Cheers to LEXUS

Getting me started on wagons. I "dig" stationwagons- especially the classics. A few months ago, I almost bought a 90' Mercedes 300TE wagon, upon recommendation of my uncle, who owns one. He said his has been bulletproof, aside from a blower motor.

Yeah, with fuel prices the way they are, I think they would sell more wagons that SUVs and vans if more were available. I think Toyota should come back with the Camry wagon, as well as Honda with the Accord wagon.

The older wagons are really becoming collectors items. Even wagons of the 1980s are becoming somewhat collectible. I think this was because wagons became very scarce in the mid 1990s thru the early 2000s. They seem to be more and more models offered these days. I am a member of a stationwagon club and there are over 30,000 members if I recall. Probably more now.

I have not driven my 1989 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon for months now, but I have several of my friends that want to buy it from me. When I did drive it, I would have people ask me to sell it to them. I have no idea why- I just think of it as another car, but you do not see to many these days. Back in the 80s, the full-size wagons were very popular with the larger families. I may sell mine to a friend of my fathers who is a cave tour guide. He said he could use it in the business too.

Here are photos of my beast taken back in summer of 2001- the car was still in North Carolina here, just before I got it.

The last photo was my "classic" 1969 Pontiac Executive Safari wagon that I had planned on totally restoring. This photo was taken about 3-4 years ago right before I sold it to someone in Michigan that was going to totally restore it. I loved that woodgrain option- it was very "60s", but even through the 90s, some kept the woodgrain option. I think up until 1996, the Caprice wagon had woodgrain, then that was discontinued. The 96' Chevy Caprice and Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagons were the last large wagons built.

How many of you remember riding in the back of your parents old stationwagon as a kid? :) I think that is another reason so many people like them so.

The very last photo is one of my grandpas old 1927 Dodge. It was a touring sedan, but it looks like a wagon. If you look closely, you can see the back of my aunts 1990 LS400- which was bought nearly new, when it had about 35K miles on it. It now has nearly 200K and the only thing she has had to do to it was install a new starter. The LCD is going bad now- which is typical. Lexus quality rolls on. Pretty good for a 15 year old car. Not easy to top a Lexus!

SW- do you have more info on the LWB LS430? Any photo available yet of that car? I have been hoping they would make a LWB edition. Its about time.

post-4085-1125980454_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1125980755_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1125980839_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1125981873_thumb.jpg