Do Spoilers Bring The Value Of The Car Down?

i know that any spoiler installed by lexus is aftermarket since lexus doesnt make spoilers. i've seen lexus cars at lexus dealerships with all different styles of spoilers; two styles for the 2nd gen es300. i doubt that a carbon fiber spoiler on an es300 would add value to the car despite costing a lot of money. do factory style spoilers add value to the car?

I think that spoilers detract from the value of a car. I sure would not want to pay for one! They are worthless aerodynamically. To me they are an unsightly appendage. At least that is my opinion. Others certainly disagree owing to the popularity of such items. I guess that they help you to pretend that you have a "fast" car or something like that.

Ever since I had Lexus put a spoiler on my 2003 ES I've had nothing but positive responses from young and old people alike. I did this for two reasons. 1- It makes it easier to find my car amongst similar models that might be in for service at my Lexus dealer or parking areas. 2- You can't see the back of the car when looking thru the rearview mirror without a spoiler. Now I can get an idea where the back of the car ends.

LexusSpoiler.jpg

i agree with alan, spoiler does help to judge the backend of the car. for me, this is very useful in parallel parking. spoilers supposedly lower the coefficient of drag and provide downforce. them porsches have that automatic lip spoiler that rises up at 70 or something to make the car more stable. to what extent a spoiler can do for a es300's performance is questionable or non-existent but its something to install if u want to individualize your car. :)

spoilers are in real use on a race track

as they add downforce at higher speeds

do they decrease the value,

no , unless it is 3 feet tall

but i doubt you ever get back the money for them

when selling the car

i think they might add drag to a car rather than lowering its co-efficent of drag though

i personally like a nice spoiler that sit on the trunk and forms to the cars lines

just my taste

• 8 months later...

The spoilers (at least in my opinion) I think look much better on the 02' & newer model years. Steviej, yours looks awesome!! B) I'm not a fan of the spoilerdepot's one for the 97 - 01 ES's however, kind of ruins the car. :blink: Maybe if they had a more classy one available that accented the back end as opposed to destroying it, I might be more inclined to getting one for mine.

:cheers:

I agree with Lexusfreak. I've always been a fan of spoilers, but the '97-'01 looks a bit freakish with a spoiler. The '02+ looks great with or without.

There are also those cars that look terrible without the spoiler... my '95 Maxima looked rather frumpy without the spoiler... and my '01 Maxima sans spoiler was even worse.

IMHO- I don't like them for front wheel drive cars. They are basically there to reduce lift or drag on rear wheel drive cars. That's why I always thought it was weird to see a little honda civic with a massive wing on it. I guess they're fine for show. They might decrease the value of the car if they are cheap looking and installed poorly. Another annoying thing is they block the third break signal in the car. I know you can't remove it, but it would look cleaner if you did. To each their own! :cheers:

Guys we are talking about a ES300 not a ricer. With a 210 HP engine and auto tranny a spoiler will add nothing for speed or areodynamics. Do you guys really believe that the spoiler will make the car hug the road any better ?

As for looks?, I don't like them. It makes an otherwise elegant car look silly and cheap. But to each his own.

George

Neil, that spoiler looks quite unique on your Coach Edition ES. I don't think it looks too bad, but I probably wouldn't go crazy installing that mod on an ES. I used to own a black '96 Coach Edition ES, and I thought it looked great w/out any exterior modifications.

if you trade it in, the dealer will give you zero for it. If you re-sell it to a middle age person, no. If you sell it to a young kind, maybe 30% back.

I never customize my toys since you will never get back the $$$. Just because you like it, the odds of the next guy is very slim.

I didn't put the spoiler on my car with the thought of how much more or less the car would be worth at trade in time. I put it on to get the enjoyment and individuality that this add-on afforded me. <_<

i think when they coined the name "spoiler" as an option to add to the back of an already well fashioned car ( sc's in general) it was a good choice of words...a detraction in my opinion; but, not to many buyers

who are fortunately much younger than my 68 yrs of existence and have a different view of what is "cool".

it's hell to be old but great to be above ground,

lx

I didn't put the spoiler on my car with the thought of how much more or less the car would be worth at trade in time. I put it on to get the enjoyment and individuality that this add-on afforded me. <_<

Exactly !!

Its my own choice... and im not plannin to sell the car. I love the looks... as do SO many others... even elders.

Its all bout the individual.

ps. BullSh~t - yall know it looks fly

hey guys, i guess i had a couple of wines too many at happy hour

yest eve and wasn't very diplomatic with my comments re the spoiler.

it is an individual thing (choice) and as commented by exdot, just the

mere fact that the topic can be discussed freely is...well isn't america

just great.

hope you don't kick me out of the club because i sure am reaping big

benifits with all the knowledge avaiable here.

peace,

lx

Like byo mentioned, it depends on the vehicle......my 01 Maxima looked sharp with the factory spoiler as it is considered a "sports sedan" the ES however (at least in model year 97 - 01 form). The ES is considered an "entry level luxury car" & IMHO cheapens the asthetics of the vehicle that's why a spoiler was never offered from the factory to begin with (specifically for the ES) at least the brochures I've seen ( both an American & a Canadian 01 ES brochure) & one can only get one via the aftermarket. :whistles: To each their own yes & whatever floats your boat. If I had a 02 or newer ES, I think I would put a spoiler on as it compliments the styling of the car (steviej has the one that looks the nicest & most classy I think), but not on the previous generation, it's not that kind of car. One can only do so much to a vehicle like the ES to "enhance" the appearance of the car & there is a fine line doing that & !Removed! it up completely. There is a reason why Lexus does DOES offer a spoiler on other models like the IS, GS & SC & not the 97 - 01 ES. Would you put a spoiler on a car like a Buick Park Avenue or Lincoln Town Car? Yes you would stand out but not in a good way as it just wouldn't look right. :rolleyes: :whistles:

:cheers: