Looking At Purchaing A Craftsman Mech. Toolset

widowmaker03

I told you so....and good choice in tools too my friend :cheers:

This is the meat & potatos of what I have, and seems to work very well.

Standard issue wratchet set, ranging from tiny, to about 22mm in size. Normal depth of sockets.

Standard issue screw driver set + screw bits for drill.

You want: A DEEP socket set, starting at 8mm and going up. I got a set for about $60. This has been very crucial to my tool set. Especially in dealing with control arms.

You want: A breaker bar, probably 36in in length.

You want: A good torque wrench that can handle up to 100lb's

You must have: plenty of adapters for different socket sizes

You want: Jack stands

You need: Craftsman rolling floor jack

You want: A set of ramps

You'll love: A drill with plenty of different attachment adapters for sockets. Great for after you use your breaker bar, and realize you've got miles of thread to go before the bolt comes off.

YOU MUST: learn what parts you can borrow from autozone when they're needed. You put down a deposit, borrow the tool, use it, take it back, and get your deposit back.

You want: a set of stripped screw head bits to back out those screws that you accidently stripped when you get lazy with that power drill. Case in point, the tiny little screws on the rotors that are soft in nature. Trust me, the dealership charges $2 per screw, and they strip faster than a former Ms. Myrtle Beach during biker week.

You must: have patience, a sense of humor and the abilty to run to the auto store when your LS is on stands for that funky metric size that you don't have.

Craftsman is a great choice, however regradless of what brand you buy make sure it has EVERY metric size with the set! I've been burned too many times with sets that leave out the 18mm metric or 12 metric based on someones assumption that these sizes are not normally used, well they are.

Agreeeeeddd!!! 1000% :cheers:

10,12 and 17 seem to be the main ones i've needed the most. but it's that one wierd one that you must have to get to that part you need to replace that will send you to the store. Alsalih is absolutly right! Heck, don't think about buying the tool set for just your car either. Think about the rest of your life, especially with Craftsmen! I love those tools. It's like a father - son thing. My dad passed down his Craftsmen to me, I added to them, and one day I'll pass down mine to my kids.

It will take you about thirty years minimum to collect all the tools and sizes you need. Bought a really complete craftsman set in 1963 and I still make "fetch" trips every so often. Don't forget a Torx set.

Agreeeeeddd!!! 1000%  :cheers:

10,12 and 17 seem to be the main ones i've needed the most. but it's that one wierd one that you must have to get to that part you need to replace that will send you to the store. Alsalih is absolutly right! Heck, don't think about buying the tool set for just your car either.

It sucks that they sometimes leave out those kind of sizes. I was eyeing a wrench set that had ratcheting ends on them and again, not all the sizes were there... and it was like $50 or more.

I have a ton of Craftsman sockets & wrenches but I've recently discovered the Husky line of ratchets. Their professional series ones have very fine gearing so you if you're in a tight spot you can still use the ratchet even if the travel is like 1/8" whereas the Craftsman ratchets (and especially the ratcheting wrenches) are kinda clunky in comparison.

Get the sockets with laser etched sizes on them.

Wish they were around 25 years ago when I started

my collection. The problem with those 1001 peice sets is

that they cheap out on the quality of the wrenches and

ratchets. In the long run you'll replace them with the

ergonomic ones anyway. The fully polished ratcheting

wremches have been my favorite, then the extra long

handled wrenches. An impact driver is super nice to have

to losen lug nuts and such. Take your time and build

up the set as things go on sale. That's my 2 cents.

Not a bad deal if you have no sockets at all. I find that I use my metric stuff 90% of the time. A set like that has so much stuff I wouldn't use (like all those allen keys).

Your best bet is to buy smaller sets of specific items as you need them. I use my 3/8" drive 6-point metric sockets the most and my hex key sockets a lot too (everything on my motorcycle needs those). 1/2" drive sockets are nice to have for heavier duty jobs so it helps to have a 1/2" drive breaker bar too.

I have freinds that work with the Danaher Tool Group (Craftman, Allen,Matco, Armstrong and Allied) Turns out that over 62% of Craftsman tools are sold to women, who give them as gifts. Est. that over 60% never get used!!! thus the lifetime warranty.

I told you so....and good choice in tools too my friend  :cheers:

Standard issue wratchet set, ranging from tiny, to about 22mm in size. Normal depth of sockets.

You want: A DEEP socket set, starting at 8mm and going up. I got a set for about $60. This has been very crucial to my tool set. Especially in dealing with control arms.

You'll love: A drill with plenty of different attachment adapters for sockets. Great for after you use your breaker bar, and realize you've got miles of thread to go before the bolt comes off.

YOU MUST: learn what parts you can borrow from autozone when they're needed. You put down a deposit, borrow the tool, use it, take it back, and get your deposit back.

You want: a set of stripped screw head bits to back out those screws that you accidently stripped when you get lazy with that power drill. Case in point, the tiny little screws on the rotors that are soft in nature. Trust me, the dealership charges $2 per screw, and they strip faster than a former Ms. Myrtle Beach during biker week.

You must: have patience, a sense of humor and the abilty to run to the auto store when your LS is on stands for that funky metric size that you don't have.

you guys have to see my tools. they put jasons to shame. i have a full nascar bench at work with Snap-On/Mac/Craftsman/husky tools. Mostly Snap on. my profession requires me to have everything imaginable. the army issues you ONE set of tools your entire career. and its worth almost $10,000. it goes wherever you go.

Hey Gusy,

Is this a good deal for the Craftsman 263 pc Toolset (~$200)?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00933263000

That's the set I have, and I'm 150% satisfied, you'll love it. It's really more than what you'll need for simple DIY stuff since a good 90+% of the bolts and screws on this car are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, or philips head screw.

:cheers:

Hey Gusy,

That's the set I have, and I'm 150% satisfied, you'll love it. It's really more than what you'll need for simple DIY stuff since a good 90+% of the bolts and screws on this car are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, or philips head screw.

:cheers:

I started with a similar set and bought tools as I needed them, As mentioned in previous responses you will always be adding to your tool treasure chest as you go, Heck you will find yourself buying things that you don't even need [ impulse buying ] We all do it. Just like the original set I bought I didn't need all of them. Good Luck with your purchase. :cheers:

Hey Santa Claus, do you need my address? I've been good this year "or at least haven't been caught!"

Hey Gusy,

Set of 6 point sockets is a must they tend to not destroy bolts when really putting the torque on. I agree watch the big sets as they give you 50 allens and count that as 50 pieces. Go for the smaller sets and buy special ones.1

Set of 6 point sockets is a must they tend to not destroy bolts when really putting the torque on.  I agree watch the big sets as they give you 50 allens and count that as 50 pieces.  Go for the smaller sets and buy special ones.1

For the average DIY'er, Craftsman is WAYYYYYY more than adequate as far as quality goes. with a LIFTIME Replacement gauruntee. whats not to like.

If it says craftsman, its worth it, trust me. I have a few craftsman rachets from the 60's!

Some more tool questions for all of you:

Are 1/4" drive sockets strong enough for most applications or is 3/8" drive better all around?

Under what conditions do Snap On - Craftsman replace tools? Just if they are broken? How about if they are loose or the fit of the sockets is sloppy?

glenmore

1990 LS400

getting lined up to change motor mounts

It is my experience that any form of defect on a Craftsman tool will warrant the free replacement, so you should be good if it's loose and such. On these cars, and especially if you're taking on bolts that heve never been removed since original manufact date, you'll want the 3/8 to be safe. But, what you'll really want and need is a good breaker bar! I learned that one the hard way too when trying to tackle my suspension control arms, I've had to use it for nearly every other bolt on the car as well, especially the rear brake caliper bolts...them things were mothers!

It is my experience that any form of defect on a Craftsman tool will warrant the free replacement, so you should be good if it's loose and such. On these cars, and especially if you're taking on bolts that heve never been removed since original manufact date, you'll want the 3/8 to be safe. But, what you'll really want and need is a good breaker bar! I learned that one the hard way too when trying to tackle my suspension control arms, I've had to use it for nearly every other bolt on the car as well, especially the rear brake caliper bolts...them things were mothers!

when using the breaker bar, you want 3/8" drive or higher. the smal ldrive will snap right off with a breaker bar. if you can get a breaker bar in that size...

craftsman and snap on will both replace tools that have sloppy fitment, bad or worn parts (such as ratchets) or busted tools )wrenches with cracks, or stripped ratchets).

Does a breaker bar even exist in 1/4" size? I ended up getting a 1/2" breaker bar along with a set of 1/2", 6 point metric sockets. My torque wrench is 1/2" also. The set only goes up 19mm and I've had to buy a few larger sizes to accomodate lug nuts and a big 32mm *BLEEP* for the bolt that holds my motorcycle clutch together.

If you don't have access to an impact wrench, a breaker bar and like a 3-5' section of pipe to extend the leverage is ALL you need. Bolts will either come off or snap off. :D

Craftsman is pretty good about replacing tools. I knew someone who deliberately used a screwdriver improperly to pry something and either broke or bent it. They exchanged it with no questions. Think about it this way - the people that work there don't give a crap - they'll just swap it out and keep you happy.

Snap-on stuff I know is better, but are much more $$. Plus, if you break something of theirs (less likely I know) - it's not as convenient to get it replaced. I don't see Snap-on stores all over the place like I do Sears!

Does a breaker bar even exist in 1/4" size?  I ended up getting a 1/2" breaker bar along with a set of 1/2", 6 point metric sockets.  My torque wrench is 1/2" also.  The set only goes up 19mm and I've had to buy a few larger sizes to accomodate lug nuts and a big 32mm *BLEEP* for the bolt that holds my motorcycle clutch together.

If you don't have access to an impact wrench, a breaker bar and like a 3-5' section of pipe to extend the leverage is ALL you need.  Bolts will either come off or snap off.  :D

Craftsman is pretty good about replacing tools.  I knew someone who deliberately used a screwdriver improperly to pry something and either broke or bent it.  They exchanged it with no questions.  Think about it this way - the people that work there don't give a crap - they'll just swap it out and keep you happy.

Snap-on stuff I know is better, but are much more $$.  Plus, if you break something of theirs (less likely I know) - it's not as convenient to get it replaced.  I don't see Snap-on stores all over the place like I do Sears!

haha very true, i need to take a pic of my tool bench sometime :)

craftsman is excellent for the average DIY'er. i dont liek to go the pipe route on a breaker bar, because in the case fo thinsg liek bell housings, if you snape the bolt, thats ALOT more work.

When I was a R&D the technicians were pretty rough on torque wrenches. We used Craftsman so when I accumulated 3 or 4 broken wrenches I'd just go up to Sears and they'd give me new ones. After a while, Sears got wise and started just giving us a few repair kits instead. It still worked out ok.

I told you so....and good choice in tools too my friend  :cheers:

What type of ramps did you get. I have a set but when putting the LS on them it interferes with the lower bumper areas of the car. Any recommendations?

C. Cardona