What Is The Worst Car You Ever Owned?

JIBBBY

Those 95 LS400's are one of the most reliable and best cars to own around.... You should have very little problems, no rattles, etc... Strange that you experienced all these issues... Does it have a million miles on it... Maybe there is a little history on this car of yours that you are not aware of.... Possible salvage title maybe?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm closing in on 130,000 miles, that's all. It was a one owner car, purchased at 84k miles from the Lexus dealership, that sold it originally. It was well taken care of, as I have every single work order ever issued on it, some 40+ pages. If the stereo display went out "it did around 35k miles", the previous owner had Lexus put in a new one all together. It was a corporate car "I later learned" that a commercial real estate mortgage banking firm had, a small shop, in the president's garage. The title is clean as can be. No issues. What wore me out however was the engine computer issue with the off-throttle-shock syndrome. Replaced the computer "on lexus' dime", but still had a wierd wobble to it.... well, you know this story Jibby.... I basically went from Raleigh to Miami, via LA. Replaced all suspension parts to cure it, when it turned out to be the drive shaft itself, thanks to years of that off-throttle-shock. Basically, what should have been used for normal repairs on any older car, was shot in one wad for stuff it didn't need anyway. I agree, it's a bullet proof tank of a car. But nothing from here on out is gonna get fixed under my ownership that costs more than $100 bucks. What I've found, and SWO will most likely agree, is that even though the 95 LS is one of the best cars ever built, it's still 12 years old, and getting older. I'm finding that technology in many cases "not all" has caught up to the industry, and a new Camry is smoother and quieter than my ole' LS these days. True, the LS is smoother and nicer than many other's out there, but age is age. And this shade tree mechanic is worn out with fixing it up. I've accepted the fact that it floats, wanders about on bumpy roads, a/c sounds like a turbine engine, etc... if it's nothing more than cleaning a solenoid screen, or a fluid change.....it ain't gettin' fixed. I've decided that for every dollar needed to fix something, will be put into an interest bearing account and used as a down payment for something new(er) later. Honestly, I like driving my wife's Mazda 3 more these days... it's lighter, easier, and quite frankly, a lot more fun! As evidenced by my 67 in a 50 mph speeding ticket of recent, within the first week of ownership.

To me, my LS is like one of those old Mercedes you still see driving around the town that get's handed down to the 16 year old later on, and Dad gets a new ride! I don't have kids, so it's gets handed in.

I'm not knockin' the LS at all, it's world class, especially the engine! Has to be the best ever, especially after a few cans of seafoam and proper fluids. I've gotten rid of cars for far less hassle than my LS has given me over the years. But you've got to admit, I'm one member on here that has earned the right to complain about the dirty-bird every now and then! There are times where I just want to yank that wheel and floor it through a field just to beat "that" vibration, smash that shimmy! Hahahaha!!! :cheers:

Chevy Vega...aluminum engine crapped out at 30,000 miles.

Tom

Weren't those the ones that had to have the engine removed inorder to replace the spark plugs? I always like the marketing campaign of the Nova...which translates in spanish to "no go".

:cheers::lol:

Oh, I've moved on amigo...gone are the days of "what is that rattle?" if the car rattles, it rattles, if it thumps, creaks, squeaks, etc.... then so be it. as long as it gets me to and from, all i'm going to do to it from here on out is change the oil, and the occasional alignment/balance/rotation. No more parts, especially the real expensive ones! When what's on there now wears out beyond control, the car gets traded.

I know what you mean. Except for some bushings, i don't think i'll fix stuff like UCA's. The only big ticket item i'm gonna spend on is the Climate control LCD. My car is still solid. I got a little shimmy past 65, but that'll keep me from speeding! :D

Well that's a shame that you ran into those many problems with your LS400... Parts do wear out over time on these cars with 130,000 miles, like LCA bushings, LCD lighting, maybe water pump, timing belts and few other trivial stuff... When neglected they could lead to more serious issues.. Still the car should not have had those problems....Driveshaft, etc... Never heard of that in all my years of dealing with these cars..... So sorry.....

Also the SS Chevy Nova muscle car and 74 model Chevy Nova with the bullet proof inline six motor is actually one of the better American made cars made for it's time.... I had owned a 74 and had very little problems with it up until 200,000 miles... A very solid older car.....

Mine was a '92 VW Jetta GL. It was the first car that my wife and I bought when we were first married. It was great fun until the reverse gear exploded then the car was never quite the same. It later developed some type of timing problem that 3 different dealerships could not figure out.

I've gotten rid of cars for far less hassle than my LS has given me over the years.
That's what always amazes me about the majority of Lexus owners....there is always some explanation to mitigate the problems. Something breaks on a GM or BMW, and the owner is likely to start www.ihatebmw.com, but with Lexus the owners seem to just shrug it off. What's even funnier is that if you come on some Lexus boards and complain about a brand new car that has serious problems that the dealer won't fix, you will get labled as a loud mouth whiner. Now that's loyalty.

My worst has been my '94 ES300. It had countless electrical problems (I think almost every electrical componet under the hood that can fail did so.), and we got rid of it when the tranny failed at only 135k.

My '95 LS with 293k miles has been pretty good to me. Noteable failures: ECM, starter, door handle, radio, radio lcd, egr pipe, brake master cylinder, etc. It still runs and drives very well, but it will be gone for a MB in the next couple years because I want something that has real head and legroom. The suspension componets and steering are getting tired, but I have no real complaints right now.

Well I had bought and sold many LS400's in my day and have had one with 300,000 miles on it and it ran just like one with 75,000 miles on it....As is with most cars following thru with the dealer scheduled maintenance is the key to longevity...

I currently own a 97 ES300 that is in the family with 140,000 miles... No problems other then motor mounts and suspension parts...The motor and tranny run like new... Doesn't even use a drop of oil between oil changes...

However the Lexus ES's are the botttom of line cars for lexus, but they are almost identical in every way to top model Toyota Camery's... As you know the Camery's have excellent track records so there you have it...

Tough to beat LEXUS cars for overall reliability, and longevity...

I've gotten rid of cars for far less hassle than my LS has given me over the years.
That's what always amazes me about the majority of Lexus owners....there is always some explanation to mitigate the problems. Something breaks on a GM or BMW, and the owner is likely to start www.ihatebmw.com, but with Lexus the owners seem to just shrug it off. What's even funnier is that if you come on some Lexus boards and complain about a brand new car that has serious problems that the dealer won't fix, you will get labled as a loud mouth whiner. Now that's loyalty.

Ah, quit your bitchin', whiner! Hahahaha....

I completely agree Blake, it's amazing to me how tolerable Lexus owners are. Of all the cars I've owned, the LS has required the most service and repairs, by far. But, also the oldest and most miles by far too. For me, it's not the engine or craftsmanship that drives me crazy. It's the suspension and keeping the car smooth and straight. Thing is built to be so smooth and quiet, that one tiny flaw, one tiny thing out of alignment, and you can feel it, and it drives you mad! But when everything is in line, balanced and right....it's like crack!

Agreed 100%, the older lexus's it's always the suspension that gets you...Keeping it straight and smoothe is the challenge... When the suspension bushings start to go out so does the quality of your ride... Needless to say, the LCD lights over time will go out for sure too. Other then that they are solid...

Well a few other things to expect on the older Lex rides... This is the stuff the dealer doesn't tell you about..

- Fogged or yellowish head lamps which will unfortunately make your lexus look older then you....

- On the SC's the heavy driver door will start to sag, the hinges can't handle the weight over the years..

- Steering wheel top leather section and driver side seat leather will defenitely show cracking, fading and wear..

- Water pump and steering pump have been know to leak over time. When the steering pump leaks unfortunately it takes out your alternator which is positioned directly below...(Bummer)

- Subwoofer will blow for sure if you like to blast the tunes

- 12 cd changer will shimmy and show ERROR...

- Trunk hood shocks will give out

- Front lower control arms bushings and will faulter for sure...rack bushing too...(that right there makes the ride loose and old)

That's about all that comes to mind....

Needless to say, the LCD lights over time will go out for sure too.

Yep, my radio is starting to do this now. In fact, I'm not 100%, because I was driving in traffic, but I think mine scrambled for a second this morning and read "go :censored: yourself"! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

A 97 Mitsubishi Galant. I needed a car to get around, bought it did the cosmetic stuff to clean it up , it started and ran. After a week, the radiator went, changed it. A week later, car started to overheat again, changed thermostat, then started to smoke, head gasket they said. Changed it. A week later, Engine went, Changed motor. Car ran fine but I sold it due to bad luck with the car. I just crossed my fingers and just took a heavy loss on it. I thought I got a steal at a local police auction. Paid only bout 400 or so to get it out but spent about 2800 on it. That's what you get going to Police Auctions. By the way, I like my car nice and clean and everything must work, so i was getting all the light to work, washing, polishing, shining, shampooing and all. New seat covers, the whole nine but was not worrying about what was under the hood. A damn monster. The guy who bought the car was happy, but that's after I went through all the heart aches.

Not a Galant Again. Eva.

• 2 weeks later...

Worst Car: 1986 Jaguar XJS V12 converted to a Chevrolet ZZ3 350 crate motor mated to a Eddlebrock 4 barrel.

A good friend nicknamed it Frankenstein due to its color and obvious mad scientist rooted creation. That and it was a monstrous burden on my wallet. While very sexy, sleek and head turning most of it was experienced driving behind it on a flat bed. rofl.gif

2560872_24_full.jpg

The 350 crate motor 4 barrel has got to be more reliable then the original jag V12 motor that is prone to break downs, engine fires, etc...Pure British built garbage....

In theory yes...

I thought I was buying a diaper wiped garage queen. It was a one owner car from CA (rust free) and this gent in NH led me to believe it was his grandest creation. He had quite a few pristine toys surrounding it that numbed my skepticism to boot. Indeed he handed me $20,000 in receipts from the build, everything brand new in regard to the drivetrain. I knew it needed some work, but little did I know what I was getting into. Shortly the motor developed blow-by and needed a rebuild as Don's skills proved inferior.icon_rolleyes.gif

Once I had that sorted I was fortunate to experience first hand the nightmare of Lucas electronics. I can remember driving it on winter mornings and having to breathe through my nose so the windshield wouldn't fog. In the summer the heat wouldn't shut off. I had a Jaguar guru spend a day on the vaccum oriented climate control before finally throwing his hands in the air. It sadly did catch fire even with the 350...A/C compressor seized and ignited the hood liner. Too bad it only leaked water inside the cabin of the car as it would have proved more useful in the engine compartment. Once it was even dropped off a flat bed into a barbed wire fence.icon_eek.gif.

The list goes on but it pains me to recollect it.

FWIW it was a mover and a shaker when all was said and done.

Most expensive Toilet I ever owned.

Yeah, as I stated earlier in this threads the older V12 jags are one of the most unreliable cars you can possibly ever own... Like I said in my humble opinion it is "pure British garbage"... Even the 90's British built Land Rover Discoveries trucks have constant electrical and leaking problems..

Sometimes you need to know when to cut your losses short and sell....It sounded like you hung on to that heap for a little longer then you needed to... Live and learn I guess, I have a simular stories as well....I can't believe the new crate 350ci GM motor blew on you, now that is suprising to hear...

The worst car I owned was a 1996 Dodge Cirrus. A/C went out twice in the first 10,000 miles, the driver seat broke!! then we started having power window and lock issues. Windows would just roll down on their own for no reason. Sometimes the power locks wouldn't lock, or would only lock the driver door not the rest of the car. Man was that car frustrating!!! I finally dumped the car after the windows wouldn't go up and it rained that night. I took it to the dealer and said " No more!!!" We ended up trading the car in for a used Honda Accord.

My first car was a 1969 Camaro POS. I dumped alot of green love into that car for nothing. My favorite car and best car: my current 2005 IS 300. I have to say that this car really fits me and my lifestyle.

By far the car I hated the most was my Fiat x19!!! It was fun to drive, but not much pickup. The worst part was when you were going 70mph or more, the exhaust would come over the top of the car and into the interior!!! What makes this even worse is I traded a numbers matching black on black 1964 Impala SS straight up!!!!! As the country song goes, what was I thinking!!!!