Glass Cleaning

Windshield Haze or ‘Fog’:

The vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain plasticizers, these low molecular weight compounds maintain semi-rigid vinyl’s flexibility. The vinyl used in modern vehicle interiors vent (out-gassing) these are the plasticizers evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) Crack open vehicle windows when parked to allow the gasses to vent.

UV and heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles a/c system results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces.

Glass cleaning Methodology

•Use Stoners Invisible Glass TM in a trigger spray bottle and mist the entire glass surface

•Allow the wetted surface dwell time, to enable the chemicals to break down the deposits that have out gassed from the vinyl, any smoke residue, or road dirt/grime that has entered via the AC system

•Use two glass cleaning towels (or clean surgical towels) folded into quarters, use one to agitate the wetted surface, the second to dry the surface and pick up any residue.

•Always use the second towel in the opposite direction that you agitated with, this small difference reduces a lot of problems.

•If after cleaning there is still a persistent ‘fog / haze’ pour some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on to a clean dry cloth and agitate the surface film, fold towel to a clean surface and remove residue

By the way vinegar and newspaper does wonders, It leaves a very clean streak free window, both inside and out. The vinegar also breaks down hard water deposits. The newspaper however makes one heck of a mess on your hands, but it cleans off.

Windex does have an Ammonia free version. As for newsprint on your hands, I wear latex gloves when I use newspaper.

I agree if you can find it. I like Quickshine since it is one less item I need and Quickshine is more a multi-taker....Does wonder on windows and more! :D

Problem with Ammonia (Windex) is that it is a no-no for tinted windows.

Do any of these products cause harm to the defrost elements on the rear window?

no

I agree if you can find it. I like Quickshine since it is one less item I need and Quickshine is more a multi-taker....Does wonder on windows and more! :D

I agree, its a great product.

As for Windex, I think its overrated. I've rarely found a glass cleaner I didn't think was more effective than Windex.

As for Windex, I think its overrated. I've rarely found a glass cleaner I didn't think was more effective than Windex.

Hey steve, I sent you an email yesterday about detailing a new car. If you can read it and respond I would appreciate it. Thanks Roy. Sorry for interrupting.

Try Stoners Glass Cleaner

Try Stoners Glass Cleaner

I have, but I don't like foaming glass cleaners. I apply glass cleaner to a cloth instead of just spraying it on the glass, and the foam makes it hard to do that. I use Eagle One's 20/20.

Hey steve, I sent you an email yesterday about detailing a new car. If you can read it and respond I would appreciate it. Thanks Roy. Sorry for interrupting.

I'll give it a check. I just responded to your thread, that might answer the questions you had.

Its much easier to get me on here than via email. I very rarely check the email thats attached to the board, and its better to post your questions so everyone can learn instead of sending them to people privately.

• 3 months later...

Anybody used all of these three products "Clearkote Quick Shine" vs. "Eagle One 20/20 Perfect Vision" vs. "Stoner Invisble Glass"? Any comments on which is the best for cleaning inside windshield?

I read project description of each product and Clearkote Quick Shine seems to be a multi-purpose cleaner and not specifically for glass cleaning while Eagle One and Stoner are dedicated glass cleaners. i am a little skeptical on Clearkote Quick Shne that "claims" they can clean different surfaces and materials and also is a color enhancer.

Actual product description of Clearkote Quick Shine:

Polish - Enhances the color of all paints

1. An excellent color enhancer and maintainer developed for use on all paint, metal, gel coat, fiberglass, plastic surfaces, glass, tinted windows, Lexan and Plexiglas.

2. Used to maintain luster after polishing with Moose Wax or Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze.

3. After washing and drying vehicle, lightly spray on Quik Shine. Using a soft towel buff to a brilliant luster. Every time Quik Shine is used the surface gets polished.

4. Developed for the aviation industry to be used on Lexan and Plexiglas windows.

5. Outside auto: Use on everything except tires.

6. Inside auto: Use on everything except fabric surfaces.

7. World's best furniture polish. Cleans windows, mirrors, microwaves, plastic counter tops and linoleum floors.

8. Will not leave fingerprints. Anti-static properties repels dust.

9. Contains no Teflons, silicones, alcohol or abrasives.

Sounds too good to be true.

Any comments??

be careful not to use a used/old microfiber. the little fibers fall off and get basically glued to the glass. then you have to clean THAT off! And that's an even harder problem! Especially if it's cold out... static electricity :(

all from experience....

Quik Shine is an excellent product, I have it and use it all the time as a quick detailer. I don't however think its as well suited to glass as a real glass cleaner. I prefer 20/20 to Inivisble Glass only because I don't like foaming glass cleaners.

Quik Shine is an excellent product, I have it and use it all the time as a quick detailer. I don't however think its as well suited to glass as a real glass cleaner. I prefer 20/20 to Inivisble Glass only because I don't like foaming glass cleaners.

For windshield I use only denatured alcohol. The other windows I use ClearKote Quick Shine

• 4 weeks later...

Stoners Invisiglass works great, use with microfiber or low lint paper towel even. It may take a couple of uses the first time you use it but after the second treatment there shouldn't be any streaks or haze. Before tinting however I just use ammonia, straight, non diluted, smells horrible but cleans great just don't sniff the the stuff.

• 3 months later...