Glass Cleaning

Hey every 1, just catching up on some threads and stumbled on to this one. I just bought a new window cleaner from auto sport magazine. It has a flat triangle head that a terri clothe goes over, and a handle with a swivel on it. At first I was skeptical but after the first time I used it, I was convinced! You still need to use a good class cleaner, I also use invisible glass. And you still have to work the handle a little to get it to be streak free, but, you can easily get down along the dash line and along the pillars really well with it. I use Eagle 1 Nanoteck natural finish on the dash. ( I think it looks the best, not shiny.) And I almost allways get some on the glass where the windshield and the dash meet. It's so hard to get your hand on the glass along there. This device works great for that. Saves me atleast 10 minutes and a tricep/ deltoid work-out. The quality of the device is I would say not great, but atleast 2 steps up from cheesy cheap. ( I only paid 15 bucks for it.) It came with 2 terri clothe bonnets, a microfiber bonnet and a gridded nylon bonnet for scrubbing bugs off with. Which I don't recommend. I think you would break the cleaner if you really beared down on it.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that window cleaning chemicals have as much consensus here as does car wax. Whatever commercial cleaner is used alone will dissolve the variety of crud on the glass to a more or lesser extent. However, unless every molecule of the cleaner is removed, there will be a layer of material left, albeit somewhat thinner.

Check windows at an angle in bright sunlight or on a humid morning and there will likely be some evidence of wipe marks and thus, debris. I am rabid about clean windows for some anal reason so you might try this technique that works for me.

First use Sprayaway, Stoner's, Windex, 20/20, alcohol, ammonia, or whatever jerks your chain and wipe the chemical off of the window as well as possible. They all have been tried and all leave something behind while at the same time putting the gunk temporarly into solution.

Then immediately go over the window with a mist of purified or distilled water and a microfiber towel to remove the residue. Wipe until dry while turning the towel or use another towel for the final pass. On the final pass of the MF towel, it should feel like it is sticking to the glass. Then you know that the window is "squeaky" clean.

After that treatment there is little or no residue that could cause a chemical buildup and the next window cleaning will be easier and just as bright.

The bottom line is that water is as close to a universal solvent as there is and pure water completely evaporates. Yes, all of you physicists, I know there will be some molecules left over of whatever was originally on the window but they will be of such diluted concentration as to be undetectable short of an electron microscope.

Well, yes, Rain-X is used on certain windows in the winter. Never on a window with a wiper blade operation or on mirrored surfaces. It is only appropriate in the 3 or 4 months of rainy weather here in No Cal. The discussion here was mainly about keeping the inside of windows clean of the films (and greasy marks from the wife's lotion-soaked elbows. :wacko: ).

Well, yes, Rain-X is used on certain windows in the winter. Never on a window with a wiper blade operation or on mirrored surfaces. It is only appropriate in the 3 or 4 months of rainy weather here in No Cal. The discussion here was mainly about keeping the inside of windows clean of the films (and greasy marks from the wife's lotion-soaked elbows. :wacko: ).

I just have to laugh about the "Wifes lotion-soaked elbows" :lol::lol::lol:

Quik Shine is an excellent product, I have it and use it all the time as a quick detailer. I don't however think its as well suited to glass as a real glass cleaner. I prefer 20/20 to Inivisble Glass only because I don't like foaming glass cleaners.

Stoner Invisible Glass Pump Spray

• 1 month later...
i love to have a clean & clear windshield to look out ....espically when the sun is shinning, often you see all the dirt, fingerprints, etc...that impairs your vision.

what products to use to clean inside of the windshield?

thanks.

Stoners windshield cleaner in a spray bottle is the best

Well, for those of you that use Rain-X after claening the windshield, I have found a new way to apply it so it seems to last alot longer and, maybe it's just me or the way I was applying it before was wrong, but seems to make it work better also.

I've found that if you apply it with your bare hand and lightly rub it on until it becomes like an oily film on the windshield. Then let it set for a few minutes.Then I use a microfibre and wipe it off, Not only does it last longer and work better, but it wipes off great also. Of course I then wash my hand off. ( I'll probably die of some cancer associated illness, but atleast my windshield will be good and clear.) :)

Myabe just your hand will fall off..... <_< I don't want you to die...:cries:

If my hand falls off I think I'd rather just die... :(

I can see that if both fell off, but even just one?? Wussss...

i would have to seriuosly consider the ramifications. I guess I could still drive, but no more motorcycle racing???? I don't know. I keep very active. Even a prostetic, I don't know.....

i would have to seriuosly consider the ramifications. I guess I could still drive, but no more motorcycle racing???? I don't know. I keep very active. Even a prostetic, I don't know.....

Come on.... you can think of something Mr. Designer / Fabricator..... You're creative ;)

Yeah I'm using a glass microfiber but I just can't get the technique down for streak free glass that way.

Drying Pattern:

Use a different drying pattern for interior / exterior glass surfaces (i.e. horizontal for interior and vertical for exterior) utilizing this technique you can easily determine the location of any streaking.

Honestly, I've found Mr. Clean Magic Erasure bars to be the best for the inside, following with a dry clean towel. Seems to be effortless, and I've never had any streaks afterwords.

Oh yeah man, they're amazing on glass! And headlights! If you have a fireplace with those glass doors, they'll clean the inside grime like a knife through warm butter. One swipe, and it's like new! Figured this out in the old house, tried everything to clean the inside glass "covered in years of smoke and dirt". Couldn't get them clean, everything just seemed to smudge it and make a mess. Best thing I've ever seen before for glass, bar none. But, like you said, I wouldn't use them on tint film, no telling what it might do.