2001 Ls430 Versus Brand New 2005 Avalon

lsrxlex

What should I buy, a used 2001 LS430 (~$30k+) or a brand new 2005 Avalon (~$25k+)? The difference is about ~$7k.

I plan to use the car for traveling North to South of California and come back, with approximately 1000 miles per round trip, and about 2 trips each month at the most. So, anual mileage would be approx. 100k. And I'd like to keep the car for as long as I could, maybe 10 to 15 years or more.

To me, safety (curtain air bags), reliability and driving comfort is important.

Please help.

Thanks.

I am assuming that you are pro toyota

The looks of either car are similar enough to you to be of no concquence.

Is gas milage of interest and do you do city driving alot?

As the LS is a great highway cruiser and the avalon will be better in the city especially to park.

Do you drive in snow?

If not then get the LS as it is rear wheel drive and the avalon is front.

LS430, hands down, no doubt about it. The two don't even compare in my personal opinion. Get the automobile industry's finest and watch the road melt for ya'. You'll love it a lot more than the Avalon, especially 2 years from now when you're still admiring how perfect the car is with 200k miles on it!

Hard to say, the new Avalon is hot. I haven't driven one yet but I search the websites for features, info, and pics and this one is a woozie.

I won't say it beats a 2001 LS430, but man I would take either and cruise in the wind.

the avalon looks nice on the outside i dont know about the inside both have toyota engines so they are built to last i know my ls is great on the highway so should the 430 so i would get the 430

I've read a couple of posts in the past comparing the two, and the LS won across the board. I think I remember reading about the driving experience and material feel was much better in the LS? I think....I know it's out there if you do a search for Avalon.

You should pick which ever one you prefer. Both will have different driving character, seat designs, seating positions, materials, etc. Both will last a very long time with regular maintinance, so take them both for a spin and take it from there! Good luck!

If personal safety was the #1 concern then it would be far safer and less expensive to fly a commercial airline between Northern and Southern Calif. and just rent a car to do your local business.

Crashworthiness: LS430 wins

Driver comfort: LS430 wins

Ride comfort and quietness: LS430 wins

Reliability: Avalon wins

Upkeep costs: Avalon wins

I'd go with the majority which is 2001 LS430 for another car. I'd fly most of the time, as Monarch suggested.

Thanks SKperformance, oohryry, sha4000, nc211, blake918, monarch, and everyone. Thanks for a great forum.

Of course the LS430 because:

1- It is stronger (speed & acceleration) :)

2- Rear wheel drive (better tire wear and easier when it comes to withstanding road bumps)

3- Luxurious (in front of your friends, your family, and for you social life) B)

4- Bigger and heavier (safety)

5- and many more....... :cheers:

just think about it now lexus is known for its luxury and most people see it as a high end car company toyota on the other hand is just as reliable but not looked up to as much as lexus due to the luxury of the car if it was me id get the LS430 hands down dont evne need to compare the 2 i have a LS400 96 right now which im probably going to sell it and use what i get to buy a 02 S500 or 02 LS430 havnt decided which one yet though

I'm just curious to know why do you want a 2002 LS430, but not 2001 or 2003 or........?

By the way, my wife just bought a brand new 2006 s500 about 10 days ago. The engine noise level is high comparing to the LS's. This is our first MB ever. Today is my first day on the driver's seat and the drive is not as good as with the LS, but my wife just likes to have a MB, that's all. Women buy things on impulse, I guess, specially whenever they can afford the monthly payments.

I'm just curious to know why do you want a 2002 LS430, but not 2001 or 2003 or........?

By the way, my wife just bought a brand new 2006 s500 about 10 days ago. The engine noise level is high comparing to the LS's. This is our first MB ever. Today is my first day on the driver's seat and the drive is not as good as with the LS, but my wife just likes to have a MB, that's all. Women buy things on impulse, I guess, specially whenever they can afford the monthly payments.

Anything from today's market won't ride like a '90 LS. The first LSs have a very, very soft ride. I also find that German V8s give off a little noise but only at WOT...not a bad thing in my mind! B) A '06 S500 is a great car...enjoy her! 01-03 LS430s are extremely similar...no real changes came for the LS430 until '04.

Anything from today's market won't ride like a '90 LS. The first LSs have a very, very soft ride. I also find that German V8s give off a little noise but only at WOT...not a bad thing in my mind! B) A '06 S500 is a great car...enjoy her! 01-03 LS430s are extremely similar...no real changes came for the LS430 until '04.

Blake918, what is the real changes on the '04?

Maybe I should pay a little extra for those changes since KBB shows only about $3k difference (private party, same high mileage at 70k).

I would buy the Avalon to minimize your exposure to unforseen costs. The LS is obviously the better car but with the kind of mileage you're looking at you're going to be into super high repairs and maintenance with the LS before you know it. With the Avalon these costs will be a lot less.

The LS is my favorite car on the road, but the Avalon is the smarter buy in this situation.

Sw03es, my son is on your side on this subject.

But since I still love my 1990 LS from the day I bought it 15 years ago, I'm kind of addicted to the LS.

Anyway, we still have time for final decision because, first, we have to sell my wife's 2001 Avalon XL. Besides, (if we decide to buy Avalon), the 2005 XL seems to be hot right now, so it's very hard to negotiate for a deal below $25,500 (basic model, no options) at this time.

Our current 2001 Avalon is still in pretty good shape at 70k. So far our only maintenance expense is a new set of tires at 45k (not counting: oil, ATF, PS fluid changes) (no new brake pads, belts,...yet).

The main reason we have to change cars is getting safety features like curtain airbags ......

I feel like this forum is part of my family.

Thanks Sw03es and everyone.

I think everyone is giving great response to this topic, and i'm probably just repeating everyone too.

They both are the flagship vehicle for each name. They both are great cars and known for their reliabilty and comfort and since you have both cars actually, just different generations, you definitely know the reliabilty and how they ride.

Since you might be purchasing a used 01 LS430, be sure you know the background of the car and if it's been well pampered. Like what blake said see if you can test drive both so you can get a better understanding of the feels and improvements and to see which really fits your personality better. Considering that you will b driving 1,000 miles round trip and doing it 2x's a month, thats a considerate amount of gas money to be honest with you. Of course, upkeeps of the cars are very different in price. If you dont mind spending some money for a great car, then the LS would b a great car to keep for a very long time n to pass it down. My dad passed his 92LS to me... n i love it.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up picking. :lol: