2001 Ls430 Versus Brand New 2005 Avalon

lsrxlex

I'm just curious to know why do you want a 2002 LS430, but not 2001 or 2003 or........?

By the way, my wife just bought a brand new 2006 s500 about 10 days ago. The engine noise level is high comparing to the LS's. This is our first MB ever. Today is my first day on the driver's seat and the drive is not as good as with the LS, but my wife just likes to have a MB, that's all. Women buy things on impulse, I guess, specially whenever they can afford the monthly payments.

In the professional review, the New Mercedes Benz beat the Lexus slightly in ride softness on the road. But not by much. However, you noticing the engine noise level being higher in the MB is nothing strange, because Lexus measures there noise level to the 1/1000 not 1/100 like other makers. However, I would like to see for myself whether there opinion about ride smoothness is correct. So I'll have to ask someone at church to take me for a ride in their S500 sometime soon.

He use to have a 93 LS400 and got rid of it. He told me after church about a month ago he regrets it and it was a big mistake.

Personally I don't think there's any question the LS430 is smoother over the road than the S class. What you've got to understand is that all of that is in the eye of the beholder, a "professionals" opinion is no more valid to me than yours, and niether are as valid to me as mine. The kind of ride I feel a smooth ride is comes more from the LS than the S class. Depends on the wheels too though, if they're comparing an LS430 with 18s and an S class with 17s (how they come stock basically) then I could see the LS being a little firmer.

I bought my 93 LS400 from a guy who just bought a beautiful MB convertable. He said it was a mid life crisis, but he really enjoyed the LEXUS ride over the MB.

It made me smile and reasured me that I was making the right decision.

Cheers to LEXUS!!

Only bummer is I have been in the islands for 28 of the last 30 days. This means I miss my LEXUS and wonderful wife.. Wife first LEXUS second!

since you have plently of time to decide just go and test drive both cars afterall thats why they let you test drive cars and decide which one you like because when it really comes down to it, its your decision and your familys because those are the people that are going to be using it on a daily basis so why get something they dont like you kno??? so go test drive both of them since you coudl go either way as it stands maybe youll see somehting you like in one more then the other

Khalid

-keep us informed with what you think

i'm in doubt on the same issue as well... thinking of trading my 93 LS400 for a brand new Avalon or a 2001 LS430, both are in very simliar price. On the LS, it has about 50000 miles.

I think i'll still choose a LS430... its really the flagship of Toyota and FR, like one guy said, if most of your driving are in city, Avalon is the King of FWD. To me, i fish alot and travel alot, a FR really makes much more sense to me. FR really does much better than FWD on highway.

buy the ls430. i have a 2002 and i love it.

Cary

What should I buy, a used 2001 LS430 (~$30k+) or a brand new 2005 Avalon (~$25k+)? The difference is about ~$7k.

I plan to use the car for traveling North to South of California and come back, with approximately 1000 miles per round trip, and about 2 trips each month at the most. So, anual mileage would be approx. 100k. And I'd like to keep the car for as long as I could, maybe 10 to 15 years or more.

To me, safety (curtain air bags), reliability and driving comfort is important.

Please help.

Thanks.

I just got some new tires and my LS400 is awesome. Since it is real wheel drive I focused on one of the best Tauranza LSV. They have great ratings and now the true test will be a NE winter.

I might have to buy something in my budget for the winter.. Maybe a KIA to park on the side of my LEXUS. After all it has FWD.

Thanks, Cary.

Akewlguy, I'll consider your type of tires when it's time for me to change my current Michelin ones.

I bought my tires at Costco (because they offer life-time free wheel balancing) but sometimes there isn't many options.

Thanks everyone.

Well I only have if 2k miles on my tires, but so far they are good. I hear the MX4's go 80k, where as the Tauranza go 50k? Or something like that.. When I get a bit more experience with them I will let you know, but so far they feel great!

Cheers my LEXUS!