How Long Do You Plan On Keeping Your Es?

SW03ES

How long do you plan on keeping your ES?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you plan on keeping your ES?

• 1-2 Years
    • 3-4Years
    • 5-6 Years
    • 7+ Years

Just thought it would be an interesting poll. I kept my previous vehicle about 5 years and I was itching to get out of it for about a year and a half of that. I'm really happy with the Lexus though, happier with every mile and could see myself driving it for a long time, providing I keep out of the Lexus dealer's showroom of temptation...

I put down 3-4 years, but that might change depending on the Lexus Corporation's ability to fix the transmission/electronic throttle response to the drivers input.

Yes, I can control it, but it's really been a pain to do so under certain conditions.

Also, it depends on how well the stock market and the economy in general fares in the next few years.

I'm beyond the age where I feel like doing my own mechanical work on a car as I have done in the past. The manufacturers warranty is very important to me.

I'm the 3rd owner of a 96 Es300 with 85,000 miles.  Looks and runs like it's brand new.  Only real complaint is the wind noise.  I plan on keeping it for at least a few more years.

Ed

I plain on keeping till it dies and I can not fix it my self. es300ed I think you wind noise might be from people closing the door by the glass and forcing it out of aliment over times. I do not know how to fix it but maybe someone can suggest something that might help u out

Bought my 2000 in March '03 with 23,000 kilometres(13,800 miles) with a lexus goldcard warranty through October'05. It now has 57K kilometres and I thought that when warranty runs out we'd go for a few year old ES330 or RX330. Didn't want to have a car that's expensive to repair with no full warranty- too many memories of earlier cars kept too long and repairs generally not worth the expense. The idea was that this car would still have low mileage at that time and we could maximize value. Trouble will be what it will cost to flip cars, and whether keeping this great ES without warranty will be a better idea. Got another 10 months to go and who knows...?

I'll probably keep my ES for about another 4 - 6 years depending on a number of factors (If I have kids then, money situation etc)....chances are I will give the car to my parents as I know it will still be in tip top shape! Chances are I'll either replace it with the new GS (All wheel drive model), another ES or perhaps even the all new Avalon.......I'm liking the look of that new car for some reason! :blink: :D B)

jweiss......where abouts in Toronto are you from? :unsure:

:cheers:

I drove my last car (a BMW 528i) for about 20 yrs. with 310,000+ miles on the original engine. I love my 2001 ES and plan to do the same with it. Assuredly there will be maintenance repairs at some point, but if you love what you drive then it's worth it in the long run to keep on driving it. :D

I've had my ES about one year, and I only plan on having it another six months or so. I love the car, but my previous car was a BMW 330CiC and I'm just not excited about driving my ES. I was at a BMW dealership the other day looking at trading it in on a new X5, and the salesman put it perfectly: "The ES is a nice car, but it's like driving a sofa." I'll probably be getting the X5 within six months. I'm 23 now, so maybe I'll get an ES or another Lexus when I'm closer to retirement age and am not a lead-footed driving fan. :)

I drove my last car (a BMW 528i) for about 20 yrs. with 310,000+ miles on the original engine.  I love my 2001 ES and plan to do the same with it.  Assuredly there will be maintenance repairs at some point, but if you love what you drive then it's worth it in the long run to keep on driving it. :D

Well...that's been my mentality for the past year, dealing with first the head gaskets (which was no problem in the end-fun even!) but then the transmission has pretty much changed my mind. I've put at least half what the car's worth into it in the past year trying to get the transmission repaired correctly, and to no real avail. Sure, it drives like a champ right now, but that's how it's been every other time that I've gotten it back. I'm afraid to give it another few thousand and see what happens. Therefore, I'm turning over a new leaf. It's hard, but it's the best thing to do. Parents recently bought a 2000ES and are buying a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi today SO, we gotta move some metal outta here. Hence, I'm selling the 93 ES (which I've has been a labor of love through and through) and taking over my mom's 96 ES (it's ugly now...but just wait hehe). The worst thing about all this though is that we're also selling the 92 SC that I've recently fallen in love with. But....the 96, with a little money and aftermarket, will be very nice for college, and ultimately, I'll have my dream SC when I graduate. That's the plan anyway. B)

I voted 7+ years for a few reasons, the car is probably not worth selling (has a lot of miles on it and it's a '92), and well I really like this car despite it's problems here and there. The front styling looks very attractive to me because of it's aggressive/elegant look. Basically the 92-96 ES generation has always been a favorite of mine. Just wish this car had a manual tranny in it <_< . Here's to many years/miles of motoring :cheers:

I've had my ES about one year, and I only plan on having it another six months or so.  I love the car, but my previous car was a BMW 330CiC and I'm just not excited about driving my ES.  I was at a BMW dealership the other day looking at trading it in on a new X5, and the salesman put it perfectly: "The ES is a nice car, but it's like driving a sofa."  I'll probably be getting the X5 within six months.  I'm 23 now, so maybe I'll get an ES or another Lexus when I'm closer to retirement age and am not a lead-footed driving fan. :)

I'm 23 and I like driving my sofa ;)

At least trade it on a BMW sedan! Why an X5?

I might be cajoled into trying a BMW next time, we'll see.

But what is "dead"? Would you guys call my car dead? I mean, at what point must you draw the line and say to yourself "yeah, it was a good car and I still love it but....this is ridiculous" I think I just got gipped-I expected this car to last me through college. Instead, it didn't last even through high school! Thing is, it's not the car....it's the shop. grr....

That time is different for everyone. For me when it stops riding good and looking good its time to say bye bye. As long as you have a good mechanic and a quality automobile that has been maintained well its whole life it remains pretty worthwhile to put money and work into repairing things down the road that may go bad. When the leather and the paint get thin and it starts to creak and rattle a lot its time to move on to greener pastures though. 5-6 years, 150,000 miles or so from new is the max for me really.