Jacks Or Ramps

averona

I use a small floor jack and jack a pair of jack stands. Craftsman and most other national brands make pretty good floor jacks, however don't buy a cheap $20 one like my first one. I lasted two months than crapped out. Bottle jacks also work well. Just get something high quality and rated at least 2 tons if not more. Personally I have never had good luck with ramps. I have shot a pair under my car when trying to raise the back wheels and pushed a pair up against a wall when trying to raise the front of my car almost smashing my car through the wall. I have never learned the proper way to use ramps so I just stay away from them. What ever works for you though, go with it. Good Luck :cheers:

I have shot a pair under my car when trying to raise the back wheels and pushed a pair up against a wall when trying to raise the front of my car almost smashing my car through the wall.
For you, the likelihood of shooting the car through a wall is probably less when it's on ramps than when you are driving it around town. :D :lol:

(JUST KIDDING!)

Personally jacks are unnecessary when doing simple things like changing fluids, etc. The only time I would use jacks is when I need extra ground clearance or need to remove the wheels or do something with the suspension.

Since the manual calls for tire rotation when the oil is changed it is easy enough to do it all at once with floor jacks.

However, I have four floor jacks and use three heavy duty ones for jacking up the RX. Two are used on the front jack points and one is used on the rear trailer hitch to make a three point platform. Jackstands are used along with the floor jacks.

Hydraulic jacks are expensive but heavy duty ones can occasionally be found for a decent price at Costco or Sam's Club.

Can anyone recommend great jacks so I can start learning what's underneath my car?

I used jack stands, sold my ramps, my Lexus set too low to pull up on them properly, just pushed them, plus I like the freedom of mobility under the car.

I, like KF, have shot those Rhinos across the garage floor one too many times as well. If you have a smooth surface, they simply don't grip well enough to ensure confidence in them when you're trying to pull up on them, and ESPECIALLY when you're backing down. They go flying out from underneath, which drops the car down pretty hard. I tossed mine in the garbage and built my own out of wood, which has worked out PERFECTLY.

This is what I did: I went and bought two 6 foot boards of 2x10 wood. I basically made a tripod for each wheel, 6 inches high. I can drive up on them, drive over them, and they don't budge on damn inch when doing so. They look something like this:

____

EDIT: For some reason, I can't center the pieces here. They're supposed to look like a triangle "A", not a "L"

If you have a table saw, cut the corners at a 45 degree angle on each end, like this " / and \ "

I simply used deck screws to connect the middle piece to the lower piece, and the top piece to the middle piece.

They're heavy, but easily storable under a work bench. Or, you can simply drill a hole into one of the bottom pieces and hang them up. I run my 4runner over them, my GS, my former Mazda, and my former neighbor's Ford Expedition. They don't budge, they don't strain, they don't do anything but what they're meant to do. MUCH MUCH MUCH safer then those plastic Rhino ramps, by a million country miles!

Here is a photo of them when I was changing the transmission fluid in the Mazda. That car had much lower ground clearence then Lexus, and I had no problems with space and angles of entry onto the ramps.

post-15797-1256141544.jpg

I, like KF, have shot those Rhinos across the garage floor one too many times as well. If you have a smooth surface, they simply don't grip well enough to ensure confidence in them when you're trying to pull up on them, and ESPECIALLY when you're backing down. They go flying out from underneath, which drops the car down pretty hard. I tossed mine in the garbage and built my own out of wood, which has worked out PERFECTLY...

I used to have this problem where the Rhino ramps keep on sliding. I solved the problem by putting a piece of carpet under the Rhino ramps just enough to cover it. It will not slide anymore.

I'm sure they're safe, but I never had enough confidence in plastic ramps holding up a couple thousand pounds over my head and body.

I've been using Rhino ramps for my Lexus oil changes for almost 6 years now, and I love them and never have any trouble getting the car up on to them. Luckily, my arm is long enough to reach the transmission drain plug without having to put the car on ramps -- makes it quick and easy.

Brilliant NC! Simple, cheap, bullet-proof. I love it. And your 'A' design means that if I overshoot the top,

I am just going to start going back down, not do a 'backend flip' like a conventional ramp. Very smart.

Gonna have to make me a set.

BTW, I 'feel' safer climbing under a 2 ton car when its on ramps rather than jacks but ramps are not always

appropriate like when you need the wheels dangling.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! :cheers:

I have shot a pair under my car when trying to raise the back wheels and pushed a pair up against a wall when trying to raise the front of my car almost smashing my car through the wall.
For you, the likelihood of shooting the car through a wall is probably less when it's on ramps than when you are driving it around town. :D :lol:

(JUST KIDDING!)

Oh, how true! :lol:

Hang in there, Killer.

Thanks alot guys. :rolleyes: I guess I diserve that. :D LOL Thanks for the laughs...

I've been using Rhino ramps for my Lexus oil changes for almost 6 years now, and I love them and never have any trouble getting the car up on to them. Luckily, my arm is long enough to reach the transmission drain plug without having to put the car on ramps -- makes it quick and easy.

Say blake where is the transmission oil refill plug?

I believe you just fill it where the dipstick goes into the transmission...

I'm sure they're safe, but I never had enough confidence in plastic ramps holding up a couple thousand pounds over my head and body.

The plastic rhino ramps I am using is rated at 10,000 lbs. Thats more than enough for a Lexus.

At any rate safety is the most important consideration. If I use a hydraulic lift and I plan to work under the car, I will also use jack stands for additional safety. Sometimes I also put pieces of lumber under the tires for a third point of safety. Then I rock the car back and forth to make sure its stable.

Oh, take a cell phone too just in case the car falls on you. That will ruin your day. :P

I could be wrong but there is no tranny dipstick on a 2010 RX 350.

There should be a tranny fill plug by the side of the transmission housing. Its usually a hex bolt.

Sometimes I also put pieces of lumber under the tires for a third point of safety. Then I rock the car back and forth to make sure its stable. Oh, take a cell phone too just in case the car falls on you. That will ruin your day. :P

Wedging the tires and testing your setup is only common sense that I hope most diy will use when under the car. When I want some good clearance I visit a buddy's shop. He's a diesel mechanic and works on Prevost & MCI coaches. They have these huge ramps that get my car way up. Over the winter I'm going to make a set for myself. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Btw, the cell is a great idea!

Yep, on the LS400, you just refill through the dipstick opening.

I'm a longtime ASE certfied Master Auto Tech and I only use a three ton floor jack that I can roll to whatever point I want to raise. And ALWAYS add a high quality jack stand when I'm under the vehicle. I share the sentiments on ramps, unless they can be secured to the floor..., they will scoot out from under the wheel when one attempts to mount them.

I'm a longtime ASE certfied Master Auto Tech and I only use a three ton floor jack that I can roll to whatever point I want to raise. And ALWAYS add a high quality jack stand when I'm under the vehicle. I share the sentiments on ramps, unless they can be secured to the floor..., they will scoot out from under the wheel when one attempts to mount them.

I am not an ASE certified master auto tech, never was, because I started my auto mechanic career in the 50's, 20 years before they came on the scene in 1972, by then I had my own 7 stall garage in Richardson, Texas. I retired in '96 and my shop had a low ceiling so we used floor jacks and jack stands ALL the time with NEVER a mishap or injury. So I am a believer in jack stands. My son in law gave me a pair of ramps but my 400 just pushed them along so I sold them and went back to my stands..... I like being able to scoot around under the car without the ramps... just my 2 cents..

I'm a longtime ASE certified Master Auto Tech and I only use a three ton floor jack that I can roll to whatever point I want to raise. And ALWAYS add a high quality jack stand when I'm under the vehicle. I share the sentiments on ramps, unless they can be secured to the floor..., they will scoot out from under the wheel when one attempts to mount them.

I am not an ASE certified master auto tech, never was, because I started my auto mechanic career in the 50's, 20 years before they came on the scene in 1972, by then I had my own 7 stall garage in Richardson, Texas. I retired in '96 and my shop had a low ceiling so we used floor jacks and jack stands ALL the time with NEVER a mishap or injury. So I am a believer in jack stands. My son in law gave me a pair of ramps but my 400 just pushed them along so I sold them and went back to my stands..... I like being able to scoot around under the car without the ramps... just my 2 cents..

Hey, billydpowell, I too began my career in auto service in the 1950's, my dad owned a Shell station and did all types of auto repair. We repaired anything that came to the door, nothing was turned away. (we didn't do body repair) I was 64 (1999) when I got my ASE Master certification and I'm now long retired and nearing my mid 70's. I still have an interest in what's going on in the business but because of nagging arthritis I am no longer able to do anything of any note but I love to look over the shoulder of the young guns who can still do the work.

I see you were in Richardson, TX in 1972. I lived in Arlington, TX for a while between 1968 and 1971 when I was a Manufacturing Engineer with LTV Aerospace. The wife and I really enjoyed our stay in Big D.