Why Do People Hate Lexus?

Lucky13

Obviously I love Lexus and am curious why any one wouldn't. Here are some answers I found in the internet.

To me, it symbolizes rich people. Most of the rich people I've known are rude, arrogant, prideful, and...snobby. I've met a few realllly nice rich people, but for the most part, it's not a good image to symbolize what most of the upper class can only afford.

i think, it is because Lexus is a Japanese band

and some people hate japanese

I don't hate them but just like Acura's , Infiniti's , as well as some Cadillac's and Lincoln/Mercury's ...they are just overpriced versions of other lower priced but mechanically identical vehicles produced by the same manufacturers and then renamed to charge a premium. I just don't think supposedly upgraded leather upholstery should command a 10k price difference.

Lexus has no class, it is just an ordinary car like every other cars and nothing special but too expensive.

I love Mercedes Benz, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar.

Most of people who bought Lexus are the people they want to show off and have no knowledge about cars.... OK...OK....I admit...I hate Lexus

Because it is not a European trademark it will never quite fill the shoes of Benz, BMW, Audi or Porsche in the prestige category

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more lame reasons people have given on the net.

When car shopping, I visited a Lexus dealership and the salespeople were snobby jack-holes. Don't care if they're all like that or not, it soured me on the whole brand.

Lexus=OVERPRICED TOYOTA. most of the american lexus products are sold as toyota in japan. A perfect example is the lexus is300, in japan it is the toyota altezza. American price, 33,000 new. Japanese price 18,500 new. Yes these amounts are both in american currency. Most toyota and lexus cars share alot of the parts in one another, basically you are getting a toyota in a different body.

Essentially you are buying a fancy Toyota. Lexus is built the same way with just some fancy gizmos.

Lexus is a sponsor of the 108th USGA US Open and they are running the annoying Lexus commercial at every break. I will never buy a Lexus!!!!!!!! And on NBCsports.com when you play the videos the same stinking commercial plays again after every clip!!!!!! Now I hate Lexus!

Obviously I love Lexus and am curious why any one wouldn't. Here are some answers I found in the internet.

Because it is not a European trademark it will never quite fill the shoes of Benz, BMW, Audi or Porsche in the prestige category

Hahaha, yet how many folks on here have given rides to their buddies to the repair shop, in their Lexus, so they can pick up their Benz, BMW, Audi (VW) or Porsche?

People by a Lexus, because they want something that will work, flawlessly, every time they need it, in style.

In my opinion, the reason why so many folks with a Lexus end up getting hosed at the dealership's repair shop, is simply because the repair shop needs to engineer a bigger problem than exists to justify the costs of having a repair shop in the first place! Granted, not a very nice experience to go through, but at the end of the day, I'd much rather have a leather interior, wood grain accents, great stereo, and 300hp from a car marker that has to justify having a repair shop, then the same from a car maker who NEEDS the same repair shop.

It baffles me how many people say negative things about Lexus'.

As a 20 yr old male who drives an Rx hybrid (previously rx300), i've heard it all, especially from my friends.

I've heard that.. "it's just a toyota"... "they're old people cars"... "whenever i see someone driving a lexus i just assume they're rich (bad words)"... Comments bashing Lexus on their performance etc.

My guess is that it really is just envy and jealousy, along with ignorance.

I used to think Lexus was just a Toyota with a new badge, that until i drove one daily, starting out driving an '01 Camry for several months. I also thought they were old people cars, again, until i drove one daily and realized how quiet and superb lexus' really are.

Most people think BMW's and Acura's are "better" because they have better performance and cheaper interior materials, whereas Lexus' are less performing and have real leather vs "pleather"...

It's just ignorance... Personally, i wouldn't want to drive a BMW and Acura daily because i like fit and finish just a tad more than performance... and because in my head, i put the name "Lexus" a little higher on the pedestal than BMW, Jaguar and Acura etc... i just think they're nicer. But growing up with parents who've driven really, REALLY nice cars, i have higher standards than someone who maybe grew up around cars with different qualities.

I don't think anyone who dislikes Lexus prefers Acura. Acura is definately on a lower tier than Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. Lexus is really the only Japanese brand that has punched through to be considered on the same level, Infiniti has been doing better lately...but still.

Basically anybody that "hates" something of little consequence like a car is just a moron. There is absolutely no reason to "hate" any type of car...you may prefer one car to another...but to go as far as to "hate"? Somebody needs a life.

I went and drove some Benz E350s, a car I've always liked. No leather...a $55,000 car has "MB-tex" and you have to special order real leather. BMWs have "leatherette". What a crock of crap. You want to see overpriced cars? Although again...I don't hate them, in fact I rather like them its just I can't get around the value proposition...

I went and drove some Benz E350s, a car I've always liked. No leather...a $55,000 car has "MB-tex" and you have to special order real leather. BMWs have "leatherette". What a crock of crap. You want to see overpriced cars? Although again...I don't hate them, in fact I rather like them its just I can't get around the value proposition...

Man I had a E350 loaner and that was one sweet car. No kidding 55k for MB tex...talked to the salesman about a M class before I got my X5 and told him I did not even want to see one unless it had Leather. He told me that I was the first person that he ever had that had insisted on having Leather...I told him that I found that hard to believe. When I started looking at the X5's Leather was a must. I do not understand the whole MB TEX, or Leatherette...not for me.

Well after joining a new forum for the 528i, I now know what other forums have to say about Lexus... If you really are curious, then read the link. Otherwise, I advise you NOT to read it if you don't want to learn about the Lexus bashing that happens...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77081

I started posting on the second page, my screen name there is GX528i (hence once you read it you will know it's me because I'm defending Lexus)

UGH... if i hear (or read...) one more person call a Lexus a glorified toyota i might scream.

But I do think Mercedes' are just glorified Chrysler's, which i think are glorified dodge's... so i guess i'm ignorant too?

Exactly. I admit it's a glorified/dressed up Toyota, but I can still justify the difference between the two, hence as I have already proved to myself between the GX and the 4Runner

SW03ES is on the right track with his point about preferences and values from an automotive standpoint. I grew up in the 1950s and 60s in a family that favored GM products. I remember having Chevrolet Impalas, Pontiac Fire Chiefs, Oldsmobile Delta 88s, 98s, and Vista Cruiser station wagons, and Buick Regals among others. GM is what I grew up knowing, some of those vehicles were classics (I'd love to have our 1966 Vista Cruiser wagon again), and some were forgettable. In high school and college I was exposed to foreign cars of various persuasions and developed a preference for some of them as my knowledge base grew and my experience level increased. Combining and processing all of that information and exposure helped me to eventually develop what has long been my mantra for motor vehicles brought into our stable - they must deliver significant bang-for-the-buck with enough performance and utility thrown in to make them multi-taskers that I am willing to accept the long-term depreciation on. Too many folks still think that their cars and trucks are assets or even more foolishly, investments. Dead wrong. Vehicles are essentially providers of transportation that lose value with each passing day. It costs significant money to operate, maintain, insure, and protect them. For me, it is strictly a financial decision, not an emotional one. Sure, a fast, gorgeous vehicle brings a smile to my face as compared to a slow, homely one, but if it can't deliver the bang-for-the-buck value I require as part of my formula, it doesn't make it to our stable....

Exactly. I admit it's a glorified/dressed up Toyota, but I can still justify the difference between the two, hence as I have already proved to myself between the GX and the 4Runner

Which are basically the same vehicle mechanically, but not cosmetically.

In my opinion, people can say what they want about Lexus being a glorified Toyota, which might I ad seems to build the best cars on the planet, and is the #1 automaker in the world. So, something must be right. How many Lexus cars do you see sitting on BMW and MB lots as direct trade ins, vs. how many BMW and MB cars you see sitting on a Lexus lot as a direct trade in. In my mind, there's the answer to the argument.

And May I remind everyone, Mercedes and BMW reliability is a disaster. I guess when the East Germans took over the cars became Old Soviet tanks....As for what I have seen on the Mercedes styling, it sucks, reminds me of the Chryslers....

And May I remind everyone, Mercedes and BMW reliability is a disaster. I guess when the East Germans took over the cars became Old Soviet tanks....As for what I have seen on the Mercedes styling, it sucks, reminds me of the Chryslers....

its true that in tests thay are behind lexus in reliability.

BMW and MB have improved, we have to give them credit, but reports show that Lexus is still pretty high in reliability and quality rankings.

I think what's getting to the BMW owners (obviously I'm a BMW owner but I don't have the same frame of thought they do) is that they brag that there isn't a non-luxury counterpart with their company. We all know (and I admit) that hands down MB and Lexus do not compare in terms of performance and handling of BMWs but that's all they really could brag about. For a lot of people who need the most for their hard earned money, I know buying a luxury car may sound ridiculous to them but if they were to choose a luxury car that will last them and give them the most for their money, LEXUS is the only way to go :cheers: :cheers:

BMW and MB have improved, we have to give them credit, but reports show that Lexus is still pretty high in reliability and quality rankings.

I think what's getting to the BMW owners (obviously I'm a BMW owner but I don't have the same frame of thought they do) is that they brag that there isn't a non-luxury counterpart with their company. We all know (and I admit) that hands down MB and Lexus do not compare in terms of performance and handling of BMWs but that's all they really could brag about. For a lot of people who need the most for their hard earned money, I know buying a luxury car may sound ridiculous to them but if they were to choose a luxury car that will last them and give them the most for their money, LEXUS is the only way to go :cheers::cheers:

Well I have friends who own both BMWs and Mercedes and all wish they had bought Lexus..for the reliability

I have a friend who's family doesnt keep the car longer than the typical lease term :huh: So they don't mind just sticking with Mercedes because they know after 3 years they're going to replace it with a new Mercedes lol :o

Lately there's been this ford commercial on TV, with the guy from dirty jobs.

He states ford beat both Toyota and Honda in reliability.

Yes, i agree Ford's quality has increased in the past few years, but they absolutely do NOT surpass Honda and Toyota in quality.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they had.

Have you driven a Ford lately? The line's a gag but its true. The Lincoln MKS I drove for instance felt of higher quality than the ES350. I believe Ford was ranked higher in IQS this year than Toyota, not sure abour 3 & 5 year dependability.

Part of an artical written about the ES line.

Credit goes again to Toyota for squeezing as much life out of their lifeless platforms as possible. Carrying over essentially the same drivetrain as the Toyota Camry, the latest generation ES 350 is arguably less stately than its cheaper sibling

This is a persons signature on MotorTrend, it is quite contradictory and realy gives credit to Lexus..."who needs comfort"? people who want to be comfortable.

LEXUS CAN GO DIE IN A HOLE, CADILLAC FTW!

Who needs comfort when you can go fast!'

A post made about a Lexus artical on Left Lane. These people know nothing about cars and there reasons for disliking them are uninformed.

Lexus sucks. They’re copy machines, have you ever compared the SC with the same year SLK?

They don’t have an own image, they blend great germans features because they don’t take risks, they go to an already discovered terrain.

Yet another uninformed "blanket statement" comment and the reply that it got on Left Lane, I like th "can't afford" part. Any time any one says something negative about ANYthing I usually reply that they would like it if they could afford it.

Lexus…they are fancy Toyotas. Still a Toyota.

They may be fancy Toyotas, but they are really nice cars. The complainers on here just can’t afford them. how can people make comments like Lexus sucks and Lexus are fancy Toyotas.

What then are Caddys and lincolns?

these are basically lesser models with skin changes

This is what the official Urban Dictionary had to say about the definition of "Lexus"

Correction: Lexus's are one of the worst quality car built.

German and Italian cars are the BEST QUALITY !!! they own everyone.

A Lexus is a pour man's Mercedes-Benz, Lexus is made by Toyota.

In Japan the same "Lexus" that people drive in the United states is called a Toyota there is no difference in the cars just that Toyota made up the Lexus name for America because Toyotas are know for being cheap and low quality.

So remember when you drive your Lexus and think your driving a classy expensive car your really driving a over priced Toyota with an "L" (Lexus) emblem on it.

Lexus basically copies everybody else like most Japanese car companies, everything Lexus advertises as a new feature on their cars has already been done by German car companies years ago, Lexus just copies their ideas puts them on their cars and advertises trying to make it look like their the only ones that have it and they try to make it look like they invented the feature/option.

I find Mercedes to be one of the best overall cars as well as one of the classiest because they are the oldest still-existing car company, they have been around for over 100 years. I have owned many and loved them all, they are all very high quality even with the low cost cars, from the fist Mercedes ever built to the newest they are all very, very high quality beautiful cars.

As with many other German and Italian cars.

Mercedes-Benz was behind many of the Innovations that make cars as great as they are today

German and Italian cars own!!! They are the Definition of quality.

Japanese and American cars suck.

Things like "air filtering" that Lexus just started using in their cars Mercedes-Benz and others had years before them.

Your Lexus is a Toyota, sorry.

Lexus does not have too many fancy gizmos and features that BMW and MB have. My 528i has a lot of fancy gizmos and to think it's not even loaded. That's why Lexus is being bashed by other companies, and also because Lexus does not cater to the younger generation (well that includes me too I guess hehe) with the tastes of the younger folks. Those who love driving and performance will not like Lexus. Lexus is more of comfort and (the obvious) reliability. Younger generations won't keep their cars for long so why care about reliability? Just get a BMW and change it after the 3 year lease!

I agree with SW. Ford has significantly improved the quality of their vehicles. All companies have greatly improved especially with this economy. Heck I just test drove a Hyundai Genesis the other day, and we all know that Hyundai is climbing the ladder but after driving that Genesis, I almost forgot that it was a Hyundai to begin with! A really really big improvement, but then again would you pay the $40k price tag? :o

No one will ever win as the "best" car company. It's all about the person's taste. Some people like chocolate, while others like vanilla. Some will like BMW, while others (like us) will like Lexus.

Again though, you can say bad things about the ES sharing the Camry platform...but they sell more Camries than anybody else sells midsized cars, and the ES is their best selling car with annual sales of over 80,000 units. I think the buying public has spoken.

I think Mercedes and BMW have some great cars, and I do agree that as far as prestige goes they are a step ahead. However, prestige isn't everything and I'm quite satisfied with the size of my !Removed! and my hairline... I think a lot of these people are not and thats why they talk this way.