And The Wife's New Car Is...

nc211

After all the posts from all of my friends here, all the cars we've talked about, and my wife and I have looked at, we have finally made it happen....and man can I tell you that good things come to those who wait!! I'll give you a hint before scrolling down to the pictures.....

Zoom Zoom Zoom...

We bought a brand spankin' new, fully loaded Mazda 3. It was the last car we thought of, decided to take a look, and we both fell in love with it on the spot!! And what a freakin' deal!!!! This thing has, no jokes:

Leather

5 speed automatic with tiptronic option

Dynamic Stabilitiy Control

Heated Seats

Sunroof

6 in-dash cd changer "Bose, and it sounds pretty damn good"

I-pod direct connectivity, plus charger

Satelite prewired in

HID lights "that you can electronically adjust up and down from the cockpit

Tire monitoring system

8 air bags

158 HP

Cruise, power everything...

Automatic climate control

8 way adjustable sport seats

AUTOMATIC rain sensing windshield wipers

17 performance tires

sporty exhaust note

metalic pearl paint

sporty whip antenna on the roof

4 wheel disc abs brakes

computer "avg mpg, speed, miles to empty, real time mpg, etc..."

3 year 36k bumper-to-bumper warranty

3 year free road side assistance

1 year free maintenance program

typical 5 year powertrain / rust, etc... warranties

split fold down rear seats

huge trunk

25 city / 32 hwy mpg.

ALL of this, for $20k!! We got a great deal on the trade in on her old 03 Civic, which had some equity in it. That car was due to go, had a dent in the front that broke the headlight seal "moister in it", tranny was making noises, 86,500 miles, vibrated like crazy, noisy, buzzy, rattley.... just road hard and hung up wet, never saw a speck of wax it's hole life.

All in all, the total difference of ownership costs per month, including insurance adjustment against the old Civic.... a whopping $17 dollars. That's it, a medium pizza from Dominos.

How does it drive? IT'S A FREAKIN' RIOT!! It's a sports car, rides like one, handles like one, stops like one, it's just a riot. The best thing I can compare it to is a BMW 318 ti, Miata, MG, Old Nissan Sentra SE-R's, older IS300's... etc... It's no LS400 on the open road "what is?", and it's a stretch to compare it to the IS300's, but a logical stretch. It's just a blast to drive, I feel like I'm 16 again in my 87' VW GTI. A real pocket rocket. Thing has plenty of room for 4 sub-6 foot guys. Or a pack-full of girls. My wife loves it, and won't give me the extra key. It rides hard, but not harsh. It's on the new Volvo S40 frame, which has eleminated the Mazda feel. It doesn't feel like a Mazda at all, except in the crisp steering. It feels british to be honest. Made in Japan too, not here in the states. So, enough chatter.... here are a couple pictures.

post-15797-1175464645_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1175464612_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1175464672_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1175464817_thumb.jpg

yeah i think the days of those old 626's where the interior would litterally desinagrate in the sun are over. I hope the new ones are right around the corner to be honest, our equity in the Honda pretty much transferred over into this car, and knowing what we all know about the last year of a particular model design, we should be good to go on this one for quite some time. The dealerships are saying that they're selling them like hotcakes right now and are having trouble getting the fully loaded ones on the lot. The car magazines say it's the one to beat in that car segment, which is what the wife likes. This was the last one of the loaded up ones on the lot we bought it from, except for a teal one. And we were lucky, early bird got the worm, because two other people who came in after we did wanted that exact same car. Opps, so sorry, too late, already signed the contracts. I know though, those tires are going to be a pain, they're 17 inch 50 series 205s Goodyears, and they ride like a stiff side walled tire does. But, my wife loves it, and I love knowing I can get back into my softy boat cruiser LS400. I wasn't worried about depreciation hits on this one either, I mean when you're in the mid teens anyway at the start, there isn't much further it can slide right off the bat. The thing is a hoooot to drive, really is a fun car. Zoom zoom zoom is really an appropriate description of this car. I'm impressed, that's for sure. Not nearly as well built as a Toyota, you can see the weld spots and stuff, but who cares at that price with all of those options.

Thanks fella's, yeah RF, I kept my sanity, but came close once or twice. My wife's parents would tell her what kind of car she could have "honda civic, all three of them", and her choice was just the color, so she never went "car shopping" before. I, on the other hand, was raised around cars, it's in my dna. She always wanted to shop on Sundays, I hated it because why spend the time, every freakin' sunday, if you can't get in the car, drive it, etc... Drove me nuts. But, all had it's purpose. Plus, we think that it's law that every newlywed couple should have a Mazda. Hahahaa... Hope this baby holds up, it seems pretty well built, lite as a coke can, which makes the engine so much fun. Haven't gotten into it yet, still breaking it in "only up to 117 miles". It's my first experience with a triptronic gear box, and I dig it. Bust out the Led Zepplin, give me back my Eddie Vedder hair due "or just the hair folicals would be nice", and let me skip 6th period gym class... I agree Dens', Mazda is coming out with some neat looking cars. They look like they've hired a european consultant to help out, maybe Volvo since they're all under the Ford family tree? The gamble is how they will hold up. They all ride hard, but my opinion I'm sure is biased due to the LS.

Whew... Ok, now it's time to start shopping for a new bed. Our 4 year old $499 Sears special is breaking my back! 'Course, that might have something to do with the newlywed 20 I've packed on. I went from "lite ranch dressing & fresh turkey" to "if it ain't fried...it ain't food!"

Thanks fella's, yeah RF, I kept my sanity, but came close once or twice. My wife's parents would tell her what kind of car she could have "honda civic, all three of them", and her choice was just the color, so she never went "car shopping" before. I, on the other hand, was raised around cars, it's in my dna. She always wanted to shop on Sundays, I hated it because why spend the time, every freakin' sunday, if you can't get in the car, drive it, etc... Drove me nuts. But, all had it's purpose. Plus, we think that it's law that every newlywed couple should have a Mazda. Hahahaa... Hope this baby holds up, it seems pretty well built, lite as a coke can, which makes the engine so much fun. Haven't gotten into it yet, still breaking it in "only up to 117 miles". It's my first experience with a triptronic gear box, and I dig it. Bust out the Led Zepplin, give me back my Eddie Vedder hair due "or just the hair folicals would be nice", and let me skip 6th period gym class... I agree Dens', Mazda is coming out with some neat looking cars. They look like they've hired a european consultant to help out, maybe Volvo since they're all under the Ford family tree? The gamble is how they will hold up. They all ride hard, but my opinion I'm sure is biased due to the LS.

Whew... Ok, now it's time to start shopping for a new bed. Our 4 year old $499 Sears special is breaking my back! 'Course, that might have something to do with the newlywed 20 I've packed on. I went from "lite ranch dressing & fresh turkey" to "if it ain't fried...it ain't food!"

congrats bro! glad you stayed in one piece. My car buying experiences have been a joy so far, we werent under pressure to buy when we bought the matrix so it was a buyers market for us. we could (and did) say, we want this price or we are leaving, and since it was an 05 sitting on their lot in feb of 06...they kinda needed to get rid of it. i said i want it for 18,000, and i want 4% interest or lower (it was a demo with 998 miles), and the extended 100,000 mile warranty, or im leaving.

after looking at my nearly perfect credit, they then agreed and we walked out with a new car in another hour. the best part was they paid off her 96 saturn ($900) and gave us an additional $2,000 on the trade. that was awesome. we got $2,900 for a car that was worth $600 and they let us have the matrix without seeing the trade in until the next day.

Long live dealmaker honda. anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. You wil love the mazda but do yourself a HUGE favor and get rid of the damned goodyears ASAP. some toyo or yokohama or something of this nature will be better suited to its ride. Even the Falken Zeix ZE-512's i rave about ($48 a piece in 17 inch at www.discounttiredirect.com) will do you fine, and though they dont last as long, but they ride MUCH better and have 10x the grip, and for that price, you can afford to replace them as often as once a year (which is what i do).

Congrats! If I had to drive a car in that segment, that would be it no question.

In fact when we were shopping for Carla's new car nd we ultimately got the Prius, *I* wanted her to get a fully loaded Mazda 3 5 door. Talk about a TON of car for the money, navigation, HIDlights, upgraded stereo, nice leather, fun to drive and peppy, AND had room to haul stuff! But no...we wound up with the Prius for $5,000 more...

I think she was afraid I'd drive the Mazda too much, and she'd have been right ;)

Sounds like you laid down the law Army, you got a good deal. The thing that really amazes me "being a finance guy and all", is the fact that this Mazda has so many options, and yet the payment was only $10 bucks more than on the Honda, which was financed back in 2003 when interest rates were much much lower than they are today. We got a great rate, but I had to tell them how and where to get it "credit union in Winston Salem, NC that I know is tied into their network". I basically did the paper work for them, which was funny. They made their fair share of profit, as they should, they're in a business, and treated us well, very well, much better than our experience at the Lexus dealership, that's for sure.

Swo, funny thing is she wanted the Prius too, that was her #1 pick, but due to some safety cables running in the roof that the jaws of life have to cut, no sunroof is possible, so she nixed it. I really wanted the 5 door Mazda too, they had a sweet white one just like her's, but she would not give in. Said she's not ready for a hatchback. I personally think the 5 door looks better, more meatier, but it's her car. The rear trunk opens up at about a 110% angle, and the trunk is huge, so I think we're good for the home depot runs.

Anywho, I still love the LS400, can't beat that smooth ride!

Who told you that? I'm a member at PriusChat.com and some members there have sunroofs, it absolutely can be done. Although its expensive and I'm not a real fan of aftermarket sunroofs.

The Mazda 3 is a lot more fun though.

Congrats on the new vehicle. As others have already said, that's a lot of car for the money.

I'm curious - did you purchase it from Capital Mazda in Cary? My wife test-drove a CX7 there back in January and we were treated royally by the very respectful sales guy as well as by his female sales manager. We walked in off the street carrying a then-5-month-old puppy on a Saturday morning and after the test-drive they offered to let us take a CX7 demo home for a couple of days. My wife really liked the CX7 and if she had not found her current RX330 on-line later that weekend, she'd probably be driving a new CX7 now....

RX, yep, that's the place! They were great, really and truely a pleasurable experience, and very fair. The honda we traded in just needs a spin through the detail shop, a dr. dent on the fender and the basic fluid flush service, and it'll go forever. We felt pretty good about trading it in in the condition it was in. I don't like to feel like I'm !Removed! over anyone, and we were very upfront and honest about the honda, and they still gave us what they originally quoted as the trade value, before they even saw it "had my car there during the negotiations". Capital Mazda is a good place to buy a car. We drove through Madison Motors the other day on our way to the fair grounds, and saw a bunch of nice cars, but the fact that they don't take trade-in's was the deal killer for us. She just didn't want to hassle with selling her honda. I, on the other hand, will sell my LS myself and then probably head over to Madison Motors for my next car, some day. It's just foolish of me to accept trade in value on my car and not take advantage of all the service records and the maintance history of the car. That's the value of my car, is the service.

SWO, the Toyota dealerships told us that the Prius's don't have sunroof's due to two cables running along the roof line. Three different dealership's told us the same thing, so I figured it was true. The wife would not of gone for an aftermarket sunroof, she wanted it to be factory spec. Basically, once she got the car, she wasn't willing to put it into a shop to have anything done to it. I tried to argue the aftermarket stuff, but was shot down quickly. Hahaha...

Took the Mazda out last night by myself for a spin around the area. I love the triptronic option. That little car is a blast to drive, no doubt about it.

Glad to hear that you had such a great experience at Capital Mazda. Considering our experience there, I'm not surprised. They appear to be a great dealership. Keep us posted on your impression of their service as your new vehicle proceeds through its warranty period.

Keep Madsen Motors in your head for future reference. Trust me, Wayne Madsen will do you right. For those who choose to sell their vehicle as opposed to trading it in, Wayne is definitely the best way to go for an almost-perfect luxury-class vehicle usually just off lease with the bulk of the warranty remaining at the fairest price you'll find in the area. We found my wife's previous 2000 RX300 there as well as her current 2004 RX330. I don't believe that Wayne can help me with the "Big Iron" pick-ups that I prefer to drive, but as long as my wife prefers to stay with her vastly overrated RX series, I'm sure I'll go to Wayne for every one of them that we decide to acquire....

Oh, and on some weekday that you know you'll be in the RTP area during lunchtime, let's get together for a bite to eat. All I usually need is one day's notice. If you've never been to the Park Diner down Highway 55 a mile or so southeast towards Apex from the 54/55 intersection in RTP, that's a great place to grab some good food and conversation. It's in a little strip shopping center called Greenwood Commons....

Congrats on the new car!!!! Well, congrats to her anyway ;)

Kinda funny cuz I was reading an article on the Mazdaspeed 3 the other day while waiting for the LS to get emissions inspected and was thinking "what a great car to share driving duties with the flagship". I'd probably HAVE to buy it for my wife to ever make that fly. :D

Congrats on the new car!!!! Well, congrats to her anyway ;)

Kinda funny cuz I was reading an article on the Mazdaspeed 3 the other day while waiting for the LS to get emissions inspected and was thinking "what a great car to share driving duties with the flagship". I'd probably HAVE to buy it for my wife to ever make that fly. :D

Congrats on the new car :cheers: Sounds like you really did well for the wifey. ;)

I think the real reason they don't have them from the factory is the shape of the roof, cost saving, and weight saving, I've never heard the "cables in the roof" line, but that doesn't make any sense. Cables can be relocated and if an aftermarket company can do it, the manufacturer can.

I had an aftermarket sunroof put in a car one time, heh heh. The sight of them shoving a jigsaw into a brand new car was enough to turn me off for life...

Hey RX, have you seen the new CX-9?

I've seen the new CX9 only in print and TV commercials. I'm sure it's every bit if not more impressive than the CX7. But the CX9 would be too big for my wife. She's grown accustomed to those shoebox-sized SUVs now and probably will never drive anything bigger than a Grand Cherokee again....

Thank you thank you ladies and gents for the nice posts! We're really getting use to the car now, and on occasion "while wife is in the shower" I take it out for a quick spin around the "race track". A 4 mile country road loop around the neighborhood. I did notice last night how hard it rode, felt too hard. So, I decided to check the tire pressure... The car recommends 32 psi... The tire's max is 44 psi....and the dealership's setting??? 50 PSI :o :blink: !!!! I couldn't believe it! I'm going to drain the oil this weekend and put in the Mobile 1 full synthetic. I was going to wait until about the 1,500 mark, but after checking it last night, it looked a little low, so I'm just going to make sure the car is properly "prepped" from the get-go. After lowering the psi to 32, it rides much better.

Great little cars!

I really like those CX9's myself. Not too bad on price either, if I recall. Maybe high 20's for fully loaded? But those big ole' tires....oh that's gotta hurt when it comes time to replace them. I can't imagine what the Infinit FX tires cost! I think they're 20 inch sport tires... Gawd that has to just kill the savings account!

Well....bad news....

My 16 year perfect driving record has ended..... County Mounty busted the Bandit today going 67 in a 50! :censored: 1st ticket I've had in my adult life, and within a week of getting this car. Thankfully, having law enforcement family members, and knowing some good lawyers, this should be nothing more than a $350 parking ticket.

NOte to my fellow NC's.... DONT' SPEED ON HWY 55 ANYMORE!!! They're all over it now, especially down where I540 is to connect into HWY55. The cop asked me why I was laughing, I told him "this is my wife's new car. It makes me feel 16 years old again, and now it's going to cost me like I'm 16 again too." He said I was the nicest guy he's pulled over in a long time. :cheers:

Well....bad news....

My 16 year perfect driving record has ended..... County Mounty busted the Bandit today going 67 in a 50! :censored: 1st ticket I've had in my adult life, and within a week of getting this car. Thankfully, having law enforcement family members, and knowing some good lawyers, this should be nothing more than a $350 parking ticket.

NOte to my fellow NC's.... DONT' SPEED ON HWY 55 ANYMORE!!! They're all over it now, especially down where I540 is to connect into HWY55. The cop asked me why I was laughing, I told him "this is my wife's new car. It makes me feel 16 years old again, and now it's going to cost me like I'm 16 again too." He said I was the nicest guy he's pulled over in a long time. :cheers:

Well it was bound to happen, Swiping the car when the wife aint looking :lol::lol::lol: Should have stayed on your 4 mile jaunt around the compound ;) Actually sorry to hear you got a ticket, Truly humbling YES ? :whistles:

Humbling, yes, frustrating especially since it's Easter weekend, and they've been saying on the news for the past week they're having a campaign against speeders around town. I should of known. But the flip side to it is that he didn't catch me on the country road I was taking before HWY 55 of winding and twisty roads. He would of thrown me in jail and tossed away the key. 35 mph limits, and I had the car up to 85! No traffic, no houses, no nothing but me for miles with plenty of visability, no blind spots. Had a blast. It's just too much fun. Kudo's to Mazda for developing the perfect balance between power, tranny & torque. I seriously suggest anyone looking for a small fun little car to check out the 3's with the 2.3 engine, or just take one for a test drive for kicks.

It's the triptronic transmission that got me into trouble. I haven't driven a stick in probably 10 years, and this is the closest thing to it.

Humbling, yes, frustrating especially since it's Easter weekend, and they've been saying on the news for the past week they're having a campaign against speeders around town. I should of known. But the flip side to it is that he didn't catch me on the country road I was taking before HWY 55 of winding and twisty roads. He would of thrown me in jail and tossed away the key. 35 mph limits, and I had the car up to 85! No traffic, no houses, no nothing but me for miles with plenty of visability, no blind spots. Had a blast. It's just too much fun. Kudo's to Mazda for developing the perfect balance between power, tranny & torque. I seriously suggest anyone looking for a small fun little car to check out the 3's with the 2.3 engine, or just take one for a test drive for kicks.

It's the triptronic transmission that got me into trouble. I haven't driven a stick in probably 10 years, and this is the closest thing to it.

Welcome to the world of me and my ZX-2. i imagine it drives VERY similar to the 5 speed Matrix XRS's which are a blast to drive.

but you have to be careful!