06 Gs430 Or Mercedes Cls500

hey guys, what car should I get, 06 GS430 or 06 Mercedes CLS500 with the AMG sport package? both are beautiful cars, I just had a 05 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas that I was orginally going to trade in but I have someone who is going to buy it within the next 1-2 weeks. Below are the options on the benz:

-AMG sport package

-Xenon headlight package

-Premium package which includes Hardon Kardon Logic 7 stereo system with cd changer, COMMAND DVD Navigation, Active Ventilated Front Seats, Driver Multicontour Seat, Passenger Multicontour Seat

-Electronic trunk closer

-Sirius radio

-Keyless Go

-Barolo Red Metallic exterior/Cashmere Beige Interior

I know the GS430 is about 20k cheaper than the CLS500 but again I like both cars and both cars drive very nice. I would have to wait 10-12 weeks to get a CLS500 and about the same time for the lexus (in one of my post on this forum I mentioned that my local dealer told me it could take up to 6 months because I want the Glacier Frost Mica with Ash interior and apparently the GS430 is not in high production).

Help!! If u guys had to make the choice what would u do? (without considering price)

I would want the CLS as it looks great and is a real head turner.

+side is the cls looks great and is performance oriented

- MB classic reliability which is poor along with there service department

is only a 4 seater with very low headroom for rear seat entry. If you carry anyone over the age of 70 it may be a problem.

GS430 is fast and looks great also but not as nice as the CLS right now.

Since you are going from a Jag the MB will seem pretty reliable , unless you have the Lexus you won;t know the reliability experience.

For the price the GS430 is better but if i had time and cash to waste on service i would get the CLS.

"Without considering price." Many people make decisions according to what fits into their budget but since this isn't a main concern for you, I would personally take each car for a test drive and keep each car for almost an entire day. Ride all over town and have others ride along. After rigorously test driving both cars you should have enough insight to make a decision on your own. I'd definitely get the GS430 b/c I enjoy Lexus quality, service and saving money. :D

Take a look at this link: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mercedesbe....Mercedes-Benz*

LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS POST: "I have had my CLS500 w/ AMG sport package, keyless go, satellite radio etc. for going on 8 months and it has been in the shop numerous times already. On average, once every 2 weeks and one time for more than a week."

Just something to think about....

is only a 4 seater with very low headroom for rear seat entry. If you carry anyone over the age of 70 it may be a problem.

Since you are going from a Jag the MB will seem pretty reliable , unless you have the Lexus you won;t know the reliability experience.

For the price the GS430 is better but if i had time and cash to waste on service i would get the CLS.

Agreed. Perfect answer.

Agreed. Perfect answer.

The GS here, I don't need ant more headaches in this life.:cheers:

More isn't always better.

cls..that car is just a monster to me...again, im going off looks and from what i saw when sitting in the car etc...its amazing.

i just dont like the new gs430...looks wise...looks like 2 other cars ive seen already..the mazda something (6 maybe) and the the new IS...CLS-in a class of its own...sharp looking

cls..that car is just a monster to me...again, im going off looks and from what i saw when sitting in the car etc...its amazing. 

i just dont like the new gs430...looks wise...looks like 2 other cars ive seen already..the mazda something (6 maybe) and the the new IS...CLS-in a class of its own...sharp looking

You got it, Mercedes is your baby to go. Just buy what you like so you don't regret later on, but from my expirence YOU'LL PAY MORE TO BUY, AND EVEN MORE TO ENJOY MB.

With Lexus you'll have $20,000K to spend on all mods, makeing it like no other, Even MB won't take you there, with 5-7k you'll make Lexus HEAD TURNER

I wish to have your problem :geek:

That CLS is one sleek & sexy looking machine though.......I assume you have driven both?  What are your thoughts on both vehicles js?    B)

:cheers:

yep, I have driven both and they both drive very smooth and both are fast enough for me. i'm more into looks than speed and handling and such. i couldn't go wrong either way i guess. the lexus is a damn good car, i had a 94 GS300 and i loved that car. my mom has a 2005 RX330 and that car is nice and she loves it. my problem is i sometimes second guess myself, like i thought i would like the Jaguar but after 6 months it was blaa to me. i never owned a mercedes and that CLS is very exotic looking, doesn't look like anything else on the road

from what I just saw the new GS 300 will become the GS350 and the GS430 will become the new GS460, the GS460 supposedly shares the same engine as the new re-designed 2007 LS 460. nobody knows when it is coming out, I would like to see that, I guess I should wait. decisions, decisions

BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT, BUT I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS AT A MERCEDES DEALER AND TELLS ME NEVER TOO BY NEWER MERCEDES THEY ARE LEMONS. THE OLDER ONES WERE MADE ALOT BETTER AND THE NEWER ONES ARE ALWAYS IN THE SHOP. GET THE GS430 IT MY NOT BE AS FAST AND RESPONSIVE OR EVEN LOOK AS GOOD, BUT IT WILL DEFINETELY BE MORE RELIABLE AND MOST LIKELY HOLD IT'S VALUE BETTER.

CHEERS-

BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT, BUT I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS AT A MERCEDES DEALER AND TELLS ME NEVER TOO BY NEWER MERCEDES THEY ARE LEMONS.  THE OLDER ONES WERE MADE ALOT BETTER AND THE NEWER ONES ARE ALWAYS IN THE SHOP.  GET THE GS430 IT MY NOT BE AS FAST AND RESPONSIVE OR EVEN LOOK AS GOOD, BUT IT WILL DEFINETELY BE MORE RELIABLE AND MOST LIKELY HOLD IT'S VALUE BETTER.

CHEERS-

thanks for that information. i have read in other places that mercedes quality is not great anymore ever since they merged with Chrysler, thats a shame, you spend all that money on a luxury car and they are a piece of junk. more and more i'm starting to lean toward the lexus. i can't go wrong

Well, I've never driven the CLS but i have owned an 03 S600 and (even though i don't really like the new GS's) i would pick the Lexus.

If i didn't like the S600 as much as the Lexus, i highly doubt the CLS will be much better. The Lexus just has a better feel and ride than the S class.

but like i said, i have never driven one, so i can't really say.

Oh, and IMO the GS looks MUCH better.

Well, I've never driven the CLS but i have owned an 03 S600 and (even though i don't really like the new GS's) i would pick the Lexus.

If i didn't like the S600 as much as the Lexus, i highly doubt the CLS will be much better. The Lexus just has a better feel and ride than the S class.

but like i said, i have never driven one, so i can't really say.

Oh, and IMO the GS looks MUCH better.

wow thanks for the feedback. for someone who has owned a fine machine as that S600 to say he would pick Lexus shows you how great a brand it is. let me ask you guys a question, i'm going to be leasing the vehicle, outside of cosmetic changes, i can't change the suspension or anything like that right??

I installed a radar detection with a wire from the front grill to the ashtray and they made me take it out. I was planning on anyway, but they told me!!

This was in 2000 at Lexus.

I doubt thwy will approve of you changing something like that. That only means when they get the car back they need to remove and replace it to resell again stock...

And i would take an LS over any mercedes any day of the week. The only thing the mercedes has over the Lexus is speed and a confusing interior.

That's just my opinion though, i guess i'm just too old for speed and 1 million buttons and technology. Definetly do NOT get a BMW if you don't like technology too.

My wife just traded her 04 CTS on the GS430.We had an appointment at Noble Mercedes in Fredericksburg Va to most likely purchase a dark blue CLS500 that we had been dealing on when Lindsay Lexus rec'd a red GS430. After seeing what Lexus gave you for 61K compared to 72K from MB, and rumors of MB reliability we went with Lexus. She had an 02 S-Type that had lots of services issues that she traded on the CTs when it only had 10K miles on it . I felt that car handles better at high speed than any other car we have owned, and tried to get her to look at an 05 or 06 S-TYPE R, but couldn't convince her. She will ntrade in a year or 2 and We will take a look at Jaguar again then.

At this point with only 1200 miles on the Lexus, she is happy with her choice.

The ClS500 is only good for one thing, looks. I would go with the gs430 if you want reliabliltiy, and if that is not the issue the new 550i or XJ8 would be nice. As a soon to be prior and highly dissapointed MB owner, I say steer clear of the Benz.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

CLS is GORGEOUS. I love the ride, style, and power. If I had the extra money I'd go with Benz for sure. Just don't expect the reliability of the lexus. We have an S500 and there have been numerous issues with it AND it's not even a day to day car. The GS430 is a beautiful car, but it's not as big of a head turner as the CLS.

• 2 months later...

We have GS300 2007 and a S550 Benz 2007 ... The ride in Benz'z are much smother .. Oil changes are like every 15k miles in most high end benzez and its a much better name.. now for the GS its a really nice car .. oil changes are more frequent but the gs has a really good speed and acceleration.. and the big logo |_ wow :0..

I would choose THe CLS as MB has a really good name .. as for services on mb they may be more expensive but if you can afford to pay lots on a car u should be able to afford to have the service done to it also :)