Snow Tires

I'm new to this forum...and am trying to find out why my 2006 Lexus RX 330 AWD performed so poorly in the snow yesterday. I approached a 4-way stop very slowly....and heard this wierd noise after applying the brakes (antilock brakes??)...and continued...very slowly...through the 4-way stop. I finally was able to stop at the other side of the intersection. This was snow...not ice. My tires are Michelin M&S that came w/the vehicle. My previous vehicle was a SUV and I've never experienced this!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The noise you heard was the ABS engaging.

The problem is the Michelin tires. They're smooth, long lasting tires but the snow traction isn't great. Replace them with something with better snow traction and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind though, the only time AWD helps you is when you're accelerating from a stop. Stopping and turning makes no difference.

It is full time dynamic AWD. What I'm saying is that AWD, 4WD, whatever means nothing when you are stopping or turning. People think AWD makes a vehicle invincible in the snow and ice and its just not true.

The noise you heard was the ABS engaging.

The problem is the Michelin tires. They're smooth, long lasting tires but the snow traction isn't great. Replace them with something with better snow traction and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind though, the only time AWD helps you is when you're accelerating from a stop. Stopping and turning makes no difference.

Thanks for your reply. What tires would you recommend for good snow traction?

• 7 months later...

My car is finally arriving in 2 weeks!! I ordered IS250 with 18" wheels. Unfortunately now we are getting into rainy season here in Oregon and I'm thinking of changing the summer tires with something that have more grip.

Any recommendation?

Also, I've never swap tires by season before. How does it work? You'd have to bring your tires, all 4 of them in your car and have the shop replace them for you? Then, you bring back the other ones? Where do those 4 tires fit in your IS350/250?

Unless you'll be driving in snow, the summer tires will be fine.

If you'll be swapping snow/summer tires, you may want to consider getting another set of wheels and have the winter tires mounted on those. Some tire places offer a winter wheel/tire combo and store the wheels that are not in use.

My car is finally arriving in 2 weeks!! I ordered IS250 with 18" wheels. Unfortunately now we are getting into rainy season here in Oregon and I'm thinking of changing the summer tires with something that have more grip.

Any recommendation?

Also, I've never swap tires by season before. How does it work? You'd have to bring your tires, all 4 of them in your car and have the shop replace them for you? Then, you bring back the other ones? Where do those 4 tires fit in your IS350/250?

The stock summer tires really do poorly in any amount of snow..Remember the little bit of snow we got last year in Portland??? After the second or third day when it was mostly cleared up I tried to drive my IS to to the gym..I got about 50 feet and got 'stuck'..meaning I couldn't get any traction at all...and the traction control wasn't helping either..It took me about 45 minutes to get back to the driveway..and took to guys pushing to get it over the driveway hump and into the garage...so morale of the story..if you plan on doing any snow driving at all (or think it may snow a bit when out and about) seriously consider some sort of A/S or snow tires..

I have about 10K left on my tires..I am going to seriously look at the High Performance A/S tires (Michelin or Goodyear).

Fortunatley I have an old beater 93 Toyota PU that has four studded tires on extra wheels..so if it does snow..I put them on and am good to go

I have an 07 IS350 with the 18" rims & summer tires. I haven't had any issues with driving in the raining. For winter driving, I do switch to a setup of 17" rims w/ winter (Blizzak LM25) tires.

In my opinion, if you are only concerned about rain, keep the factory setup. For snow and/or ice, you must switch to a winter tire.

Regards,

NHman

Bite the bullet and buy an extra set of wheels and a set of real snow tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall -- don't settle for "M+S" all-season tires. The piece of mind alone is worth the cost. You can probably find some cheap but still good looking Toyota wheels to use in the winter.

You sure can have a butt-load of snow near where you live. I skiied Timberline several years ago and that was the most snow I have seen in my life -- and I have skiied Colorado ski areas hundreds of times.

Bite the bullet and buy an extra set of wheels and a set of real snow tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall -- don't settle for "M+S" all-season tires. The piece of mind alone is worth the cost. You can probably find some cheap but still good looking Toyota wheels to use in the winter.

I agree.

I have AWD and I'm even going with snows for the winter.

If you get a fair amount of snow in your area, it's worth it.

TireRack.com had some great prices on winter wheel/tire sets.

I picked up a set of Blizzak WS-50's on clearance for $99 each, and had them mounted on aluminum 5 spoke wheels.

Nothing fancy, but it gets me through the winter, and adds life to my nice summer wheels which get a 4 month sabatical sitting in my garage! :)

• 1 month later...
Well, I called Tire Rack and ordered some 16" wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires for them. You see, the issue for me is really one of cost and practicality.

I don't expect to be "racing" my car in the winter, so getting the high performance winter tires which cost in the $200 - $250 each range is more than I want to do. Secondly, there are few manufacturers that have the split sizes that Lexus recommends for the front and rear of the car.

I did get the split sizes on the 16" wheels, and I don't think that it is going to make that much difference in the driveability of the car. It's going to be the look of the car that you guys are going to hassle me about.

Plus, going through tires every 20 - 25K is not going to make my wallet happy. :cries:

larry

So it's ok to put a smaller wheel and tire on the IS350? What size tires is best to put on them?

Passion4jdm,

Did you have Dunlops or Bridgestones? I will check my wife's IS tomorrow in Boston having very steep driveway. I have set of snow tires for my Audi but it doesn't fit Lexus.

I installed High Performane 17" Tires on my Factory Stock Wheels. They have done excellent traction in deep snow and ice that I have been on in the Northwest.

I keep my 18" Chrome Bling wheels and performance tires in the garage for better weather.

I have always had two sets of tires and this will give you almost 40% more wear on all your tires as well.

With regards to the sensors, I just picked them up from Lexus and gave them to my tire store, Les Schawb, and they installed them and reset the pressure level as well. What is really great about IS family is that they allow you to have to pressure level settings. One for your main tires and the 2nd for your winter tires so it knows what tires are mounted on your vehicle.

Have a great holiday! Steve

How much did the extra set of pressure sensors cost? Was LesSchwab able to set the codes? I dug up the procedure for entering the pressure sensor codes, and it looks like it requires a Toyota/Lexus specific communication tool to enter the codes into the car's computer.

I installed High Performane 17" Tires on my Factory Stock Wheels. They have done excellent traction in deep snow and ice that I have been on in the Northwest.

I keep my 18" Chrome Bling wheels and performance tires in the garage for better weather.

I have always had two sets of tires and this will give you almost 40% more wear on all your tires as well.

With regards to the sensors, I just picked them up from Lexus and gave them to my tire store, Les Schawb, and they installed them and reset the pressure level as well. What is really great about IS family is that they allow you to have to pressure level settings. One for your main tires and the 2nd for your winter tires so it knows what tires are mounted on your vehicle.

Have a great holiday! Steve

How much did the extra set of pressure sensors cost? Was LesSchwab able to set the codes? I dug up the procedure for entering the pressure sensor codes, and it looks like it requires a Toyota/Lexus specific communication tool to enter the codes into the car's computer.

FWIW - I had a Toyota dealer program TPM sensors for my winter wheels. Went through tirerack as they had the best price on sensors. Cost only 55 bucks which is much less then the Lexus dealers in my area wanted to charge.

Regards,

Hello,

I'm am on the verge of selling the best car I have ever driven, my 2007 IS 350.

Here's what happened yesterday. You know when your at a red light and the car in front inches up, and then you inch up? ... well, I let go of the break, inched up, and then slid a few more inches than I wanted (I didn't hit anyone, thank god). But yesterday in the snow, my car was helpless, I did NOT feel safe at all, I was driving soooo slow and I still skidded when I was stopping.

How GOOD are snow tires?? I have to drive an hour to work each day. I'm afraid to drive my lexus, so I rented a car... thinking I may sell it if I have to. What should I do?

Is Snow tires good enough? Some people also said to put weights or sand bags in the back. What should I do?? I want to get a new car this weekend or snow tires, what should I do?

Can anyone who drives (somewhat long distances) in the snow please respond. I am scared as hell to drive in the snow anymore with this car.

HELP!? :)

Thanks again

Jeff.

Hello,

I'm am on the verge of selling the best car I have ever driven, my 2007 IS 350.

Here's what happened yesterday. You know when your at a red light and the car in front inches up, and then you inch up? ... well, I let go of the break, inched up, and then slid a few more inches than I wanted (I didn't hit anyone, thank god). But yesterday in the snow, my car was helpless, I did NOT feel safe at all, I was driving soooo slow and I still skidded when I was stopping.

How GOOD are snow tires?? I have to drive an hour to work each day. I'm afraid to drive my lexus, so I rented a car... thinking I may sell it if I have to. What should I do?

Is Snow tires good enough? Some people also said to put weights or sand bags in the back. What should I do?? I want to get a new car this weekend or snow tires, what should I do?

Can anyone who drives (somewhat long distances) in the snow please respond. I am scared as hell to drive in the snow anymore with this car.

HELP!? :)

Thanks again

Jeff.

Weight in the rear wont do sh*t if you don't have snows. If you have RWD and drive in winter, you really MUST have snows. One recent thread I saw had someone from Canada weigh in and state Blizzaks are the best snows--I can't say.

Tires aside, AWD>FWD>RWD, and snows makes each that much better. You don't have summer tires, do you? If you do, you are right to rent a car if it snows--you can't drive in the snow w/summer tires.

Are you saying that you have snow tires and are still having a problem?

The first thing I do when I buy a car is to buy an extra set of four wheels and a set of dedicated snow tires - tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. If you have especially wide tires you might want to go with slightly narrower snow tires for winter use and even go with wheels of 1 inch less in diameter. If you choose to go the "minus one" tire/wheel route, be sure that the circumference of your winter tires are within one or two percentage points of your summer tires.

I wouldn't dream of driving my LS in snow without dedicated snow tires and I live way south of Chicago!

Are you saying that you have snow tires and are still having a problem?

The first thing I do when I buy a car is to buy an extra set of four wheels and a set of dedicated snow tires - tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. If you have especially wide tires you might want to go with slightly narrower snow tires for winter use and even go with wheels of 1 inch less in diameter. If you choose to go the "minus one" tire/wheel route, be sure that the circumference of your winter tires are within one or two percentage points of your summer tires.

I wouldn't dream of driving my LS in snow without dedicated snow tires and I live way south of Chicago!

I have BridgeStone Turanza ER33. Are these all-season tires?