Snow Tires

I'm a new IS 250 AWD owner- less than a month. We had our first ice/snow here in the past two weeks. I am very pleased with the traction control. I get a brief dash-light under light slippery conditions, which turns to a beep on more extreme ice. I think the car has a rear wheel bias, which causes the back end to release. That said, this is the first car I've ever owned with stability control, and I have no complaints. It's a bit odd when the car 'corrects itself', but it seems to work very well. I have stock rubber and see no need for snow tires.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also live in the Northeast and have had a 90/10 feeling about the AWD. I feel like the car responds well in the snow, the tires could have better traction (stock 17's) all-weather but they are decent enough to avoid going through the TPMS issues with getting snow tires. I went to an empty parking lot and really tried to push the traction control system to it's max. I noticed two things:

First is in a controlled slide I tried to "effectively drift" in a turn when the system kicked in and tried to stop the car, effectively it cut the power to the gas. This did stop me from my "drift" but left me wondering what if I had to accelerate out of the way of an on coming car to avoid a potential wreck? Would I just sit there w/ no power to the gas? This also happened when I tried to accelerate (a bit quick i must admit for fun) from 0mph in a left hand turn and of course started to slide a little, but the power again cut off and i just kept sliding forward instead of being able to accelerate to where i wanted to go (left). Does anyone have an answer to this or felt a similar situation? (and yes I know not driving like an A$$ will prevent the car from sliding and I know that is what the system is designed to prevent, but i just hope it's not more of a problem in "real life driving" situations).

The second is that driving straight and for 90 percent other than the above is more than fine, even with 12+ of snow on my driveway. Just as it relates to the previous post my previous car was a Civic and I could drive up my driveway just the same (neither had problems). So in response to your issue I would bring it to the dealership and have them test the AWD system (unless you have performance tires, in which case you would expect to "ice skate" instead of drive).

According to the Lexus website the IS250AWD comes standard with 17" all season tires.

I've heard some people say they drive in snow mode but with trac off in snow. That might be a good combination

I'd suggest going to a big empty parking lot in the snow sometime and trying different things to determine how you want to drive the car.

I've never driven a AWD setup such as this, but I've driven 4WD in snow and the only real advantage is the straight ahead traction. You can still get out of control, and you can't stop any better than other vehicles.

I live in the northeast and this week it finally snowed a measurable amount. Normally I would not eagerly anticipate snowfall, especially when combined with driving, however I was anxious to see how my new AWD 250 would perform. Well, the results are in and, counter to some of the other posts I have seen on this site, the results have been HORRIBLE! For example, this evening I was not able to back out of my driveway with an inch of snow on the concrete! Then, to make matters worse, I was able to drive right up the driveway in my girlfriend's Honda Civic! Can someone tell me what the trick is for driving this car effectively in the snow (without saying buy snow tires)? Its almost as if the traction control cuts so much of the car's power as soon as the wheels slip in the least that the car looses all momentum and gets stuck. I've tried all driving modes and none seem to make any difference (performance, normal and snow).

Wolly,

Which OEM tires do you have?

I have the original all season dunlop tires. Perhaps I will attempt the driveway climb with the traction control turned off. Can someone shoot me the steps to disable the traction control on a 2006 AWD 250? Realizing I can probably do some research and find out myself, I'm sure somebody knows off hand. My guess is that the OEM tires are not really made for snow and are more performance oriented (which makes absolutely no sense given the relatively pedestrian performance of the AWD 250).

Thanks... I am sure the IS has VDIM and although I do not know all of the specs. about the system it is to some degree and advanced TCS and probably why the system stops power to the wheels in this type of situation. When the snow falls again I will keep testing dif situations and see what happens. I'll also try it in dif. modes and w/ the VDIM off. If anything unusual or better arises I'll report back!

Any additional information is welcome.

the problem with the systems is that they are designed to prevent sliding, by cutting off power. However, when your already sliding, there isnt much else to do. lol. you just gotta wait it out.

also, only the IS350 has VDIM. THe is250 is only suited with regular VSC, the weaker version.

Thats not true. The system corrects for sliding by applying brakes and shifting power from sliding wheels to wheels with traction. Its far more sophisticated than mid 90s era traction control that just cuts power.

The reality is that when you are sliding in a turn you can accelerate to an extent through the turn and keep the car in better control ... then slow down and apply breaking after the turn ... however this system appears to be cutting some/all of the power as soon as the car slides and prevents you from doing this.

I don't blame anything and just figure the Lexus designers have been out driving in the winter and notice that 90% of people freak out when they see a snow flake and immediately forget how to drive, park and well stay on the road. I honestly don't blame the system and for 99% of the time it has been wonderful... I just wish the "snow" function transferred it to 50/50 immediately instead of the VDIM system trying to figure out what wheel is spinning which is slipping and what the car next to you is doing driving 30mph in a 65 while breaking at the same time, while the SUV speeds by at 80 throws on the breaks and jerks the wheel to avoid the snow drift ....

Now I am going to ramble on a bit more:

I guess I just don't understand how people don't take the time to learn how to drive in the snow in the North when 30% of the year has snow covered roads... Now I don't blame the southerners who still have their low profile high performance tires on and slam into each other with only a dusting of snow... they have an excuse... it's snow they don't see it and sure can't drive in it... people in the north... no excuses, take a class it should be required!

But it does have VSC...

The long and the short of these systems is that for the general driving public, who drive very poorly, these systems are a godsend because they wouldn't have any more idea how to get out of a skid then they'd have how to preform a prefrontal lobotomy. For people who DO know how to drive, they get in the way.

Not much we can do about that I guess... Still fun to drive in the snow even with the systems.

Just for an update on what car has what:

IS250 - VSC - Electronic system that can aid driver control by detecting incipient sideslip of the wheels while cornering and helping to control it using modulation of engine power and selective application of individual brakes. It works in conjunction with ABS and TRAC to help improve driver control under some adverse conditions.

IS350 - VDIM Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, VSC (above) and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn. VDIM is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VDIM will be effective in preventing a loss of control.

live in the northeast and this week it finally snowed a measurable amount. Normally I would not eagerly anticipate snowfall, especially when combined with driving, however I was anxious to see how my new AWD 250 would perform. Well, the results are in and, counter to some of the other posts I have seen on this site, the results have been HORRIBLE! For example, this evening I was not able to back out of my driveway with an inch of snow on the concrete! Then, to make matters worse, I was able to drive right up the driveway in my girlfriend's Honda Civic! Can someone tell me what the trick is for driving this car effectively in the snow (without saying buy snow tires)? Its almost as if the traction control cuts so much of the car's power as soon as the wheels slip in the least that the car looses all momentum and gets stuck. I've tried all driving modes and none seem to make any difference (performance, normal and snow).

The problem is you wasted your money and bought a Lexus instead of a Subaru. If you wanted a car that goes in the snow, you made the wrong choice. All AWD is not created equal...you found that out the hard way.

Wife has an 07 IS250. I have an 07 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Her car is like 10K more than mine. Guess which one gets around in the snow better...WAY better. No, I dont have the Lexus image, luxury, etc. But when it snows....it goes. Subaru has the AWD down and has been doing AWD longer and better. 50/50, symmetrical AWD. It works incredibly better than the Lexus....

Now I'll wait for the Lexus crowd to pile on....whatever....I'll seem them stuck in the snow as I drive by...I'll stop and help if I'm able.

The problem is you wasted your money and bought a Lexus instead of a Subaru. If you wanted a car that goes in the snow, you made the wrong choice. All AWD is not created equal...you found that out the hard way.

Wife has an 07 IS250. I have an 07 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Ltd. Her car is like 10K more than mine. Guess which one gets around in the snow better...WAY better. No, I dont have the Lexus image, luxury, etc. But when it snows....it goes. Subaru has the AWD down and has been doing AWD longer and better. 50/50, symmetrical AWD. It works incredibly better than the Lexus....

Now I'll wait for the Lexus crowd to pile on....whatever....I'll seem them stuck in the snow as I drive by...I'll stop and help if I'm able.

My wifes 2002 outback LL Bean goes in the snow, and I dont mean kind of, the only thing that stops it is getting high centered, so if that was the only reason to buy I would agree with you. However, everything else in my 350 is nicer and in some cases WAY nicer, as with everything it just depends on what you are looking for. Our Subaru is a wonderful do everyging family car, My 350 well, not so much on the family car, but boy is it fun to drive :)

Fair enough. My Subaru IS a Subaru all year long :) I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles in Subarus, and done so safely and quite happily thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong. I love driving my wife's car. I just get tired of every car maker out there touting their AWD, Lexus included, making all these claims about how well they do in the snow. Subaru is years ahead, with maybe the exception of Audi, in this area. I do wish Subaru wouldn't claim their car is a luxury car, however...the Legacy GT is nice, and fast...but I admit...it ain't no Lexus.

I think I was misunderstood above... I was just stating in my previous post that I wish Lex. had decided to give the "Snow" Option a 50/50 ratio instead of trying to tie in some computer system that tries to drive for you. I knew before I bought mine that their were better cars for driving in the snow, including Subaru and I believe those are a great cars, they get great reviews and are sharp looking, however I know I made the right decision with the IS and I just happened to like the Lexus better thus why I bought one. It still drives better than any two wheel and feels nice and solid in the snow not forgetting it is a blast to drive regardless of conditions!

Don't get me wrong. I love driving my wife's car. I just get tired of every car maker out there touting their AWD, Lexus included, making all these claims about how well they do in the snow. Subaru is years ahead, with maybe the exception of Audi, in this area. I do wish Subaru wouldn't claim their car is a luxury car, however...the Legacy GT is nice, and fast...but I admit...it ain't no Lexus.

Has nothing to do with them buying a Lexus and not a Subaru. Lexus has several models that would perform better than an AWD IS in the snow, the RX, the GX and the LX. I've not seen Lexus rely on a claim that thier AWD cars perform well in the snow. Is an AWD IS better in the snow than a RWD one? Absolutely. Is it DESIGNED to perform well in the snow like a Subaru? No, nor do they claim that it is. They market the AWD predominantly as a handling benefit, which is what it is. In fact, I just read an article in Lexus Magazine about the LS600hL and it discussed the decision to create an AWD system to more effectively put the torque the hybrid system created to the ground. No mention of snow driving ability anywhere.

Just because her car cost $10k more why should it be better in the snow? It is better at a whole lot of other things. Its just an entirely different car designed for an entirely different purpose. Any comparison is meaningless. My Lexus cost $15k more than my Prius and my Prius has better fuel economy. Is that a knock on the Lexus? No, since the Prius was designed to get good fuel economy and the Lexus was not. Nor was your wife's AWD IS250 designed to perform well in snow as your Subaru was.

hrm...this is making me think

i actually think that the is250awd was made for people in the snow, so that lexus can add a car into that class, to beat the C class 4matic, and 3series xi. I dont think its performance oriented, or else they would have put it on the IS350...which is the performance model. adding awd to the "weaker" car for handling doesnt make too much sense. just my two cents