Rant On School Literature Incorporating Religion

indiasfinest

it makes me mad that i might fall behind in my literature class just because in not christian, when i asked for the complete story of adam and eve (i know the basic plot), i was spoken to like a 3 year old hearing the story for the first time, i just dont think its fair that i wont understand some allusions and what somethings mean because im not christian, my teacher said that i should get a childrens bible, wat the hell? since when do i have to study other religions to keep up in school? knowing the presence and history of religion is fine, but when you are told to actually read its scriptings, it dissapoints me

bawling.gif

nopity.gif

bsflag.gif

Set aside an hour and learn: Adam & Eve

I was raised agnostic (though of protestant origin) and wouldn't cry foul over having to learn it for a class. Suck it up! Isn't that the point of school ... ya know, to broaden one's horizons?

It's one of the oldest forms of fiction and not so different from other forms (e.g Greek myths - The Odyssey/Iliad, Persian -The epic of Gilgamesh, Celtic - Beowulf etc.) IMO.

easier said than done, and before i continue i dont mean for this to tearn into a debate, but i feel this is unfair that i, and soley i, have to learn about christianty just so i can keep up in literature, i already have enough work as it is, and if the point of school is to broaden ones horizons, than why is it that christianty is given such heavy weight in comparison to other religions? i mean majority of this nation is christian any ways, so how much broadening are we really doing? im sorry if i sound like a whiny baby or if you disagree with me, i respect your opinion but am entitled to mine

-Jay

easier said than done, and before i continue i dont mean for this to tearn into a debate, but i feel this is unfair that i, and soley i, have to learn about christianty just so i can keep up in literature, i already have enough work as it is, and if the point of school is to broaden ones horizons, than why is it that christianty is given such heavy weight in comparison to other religions? i mean majority of this nation is christian any ways, so how much broadening are we really doing? im sorry if i sound like a whiny baby or if you disagree with me, i respect your opinion but am entitled to mine

-Jay

If you continue to engage the task from a religious platform/agenda you will continue to fail in seeing the forest for its trees. Perhaps a reconfiguring of your wiring will aid in its proper perception. As I attempted to convey before you might simply view it as an ancient fiction and remove the otherwise reckless charge of timely social current. brickwall.gif

Suppose I was to visit this forum and complain that I have been assigned to read, in depth, Gone with the Wind? Sure I have some general idea of a sappy ‘love story’ plot, some basic struggles of the South, but otherwise find the task offensive. Upon actually spreading its page I discover that the fact I have never lived in the South and was born one and quarter century too late bears little on the underlying theme and foundation of a quadrant of this country’s social underpinnings. That the basic drives and regards of humanity are nonetheless examined and therein I can glean new perceptions/understandings in my current situation.

In any event, don’t make it more than it is. Be like water, the substance that can break even stone while still supple.

Best,

Landis

moon.giflaugh2.gif

Well simply put..do you believe in a higher order, be it God, Allah, Jehova, Bhudda or some other figure and sorry if I missed one. It really doesn't matter Christianity, Bhuddist, Hindi, Sunni, Jewish, Shia and on and on. We are one Nation, founded under God, indivisable with Liberty and Justice for all. It was not said by our forefathers "which" God and what we choose to call him. In all actuality he is the same God that the whole world prays to and has many faces and names. When we are periled we pray to God all over the world and He saddens that we are so distant from one another yet so connected in his Love for us all. If you have no relation to God then go out and seek a serene place and find his works, Your soul knows. I will not speak on this again, but must remind you that your butt is not here by your parents intimacies alone but conceived by a higher order. You will have to attest to your faith at the end of your tenure. Yes "option00002" you have shown your "!Removed!". Indiasfinest, persue your dreams and I'm sure you will do well. I have "faith" in you and our fellow Americans. Amen..."Means All Of Us"

We are one Nation, founded under God, indivisible with Liberty and Justice for all. It was not said by our forefathers "which" God and what we choose to call him. In all actuality he is the same God that the whole world prays to and has many faces and names. When we are periled we pray to God all over the world and He saddens that we are so distant from one another yet so connected in his Love for us all.

I thought this was the very rubbish he was exhausted by? dunno.gif

If you have no relation to God then go out and seek a serene place and find his works, Your soul knows.

He didn't say he lacked a relationship with spirituality, but rather could not relate to a Christian story line and its subjective, unrecognizable 'notion' of 'god'.

I will not speak on this again,

I hope you change your mind as I am very confused...

...but must remind you that your butt is not here by your parents intimacies alone but conceived by a higher order. You will have to attest to your faith at the end of your tenure.

How do you know?

Yes "option00002" you have shown your "!Removed!".

How so? I did not interpret this as an individual needing spiritual guidance (as it appears you have), but rather as someone finding conflict with the spiritual climate within academia and perhaps the country... as I have. I am hardly suggesting a timeline void of spiritual pursuit. S-hit, otherwise I have wasted considerable time studying with Tibetan Buddhists and some very sore legs. laugh2.gif

I just thought he had some questions and was doing a snivelling about some extra work. DAMN!!!!! litttle did I know this was the doorway to worldwide religious unrest. sterb029.gif

it makes me mad that i might fall behind in my literature class just because in not christian, when i asked for the complete story of adam and eve (i know the basic plot), i was spoken to like a 3 year old hearing the story for the first time, i just dont think its fair that i wont understand some allusions and what somethings mean because im not christian, my teacher said that i should get a childrens bible, wat the hell? since when do i have to study other religions to keep up in school? knowing the presence and history of religion is fine, but when you are told to actually read its scriptings, it dissapoints me

Indi-

I had to take a foreign language class in high school...I chose French. Can't remember much of it at all. Why did I have to learn it, French in no way is helping me in my current profession or do I believe it ever will. In college I had to take Sociology and Psychology...I disagreed with much of what I learned in those classes...in my opinion it was a huge waste of my time...but you know what I still got good grades in all of the classes and when I sat down and thought about it, that is what caused me to change my major. We have all had to learn things that we will more than likely never have to use again...but it is to broaden our horizons and to learn about our history and to find out what we like and dislike. I am sure that you are not the only person in the class that is not a Christian, not sure if you can but if this is not a mandatory class then drop it. If it is however the suck it up and pass the class...

Knowledge is powerful, even what we dont wont to know, someday you will look back or be discussing religions with someone and will be prepared to input what you have learned....And in your case from both sides of the isle versus one view....Also history repeats itself, and knowledge helps us understand when it happens....

point made, so i guess i just have to suck it up, lol, but irregardless, its unfair that i am the only one that has to read the bible, and yes, i am the only nonchristian in the class

and option,

your sarcasm is not needed nor is your rudeness, and if you noticed, theres a sharp difference between your posts and everyone elses, theres a way to say things

When my parents went to school in the West Indies they HAD to learn Christianity, Islam and Hinduism.

Part of it was an understanding , respect and tolerance of others .

I also took part in all 3 as well as part of my social spiritual and educational life.

Religion should not be something you are told you have to be but what you feel is right for you.

and option,

your sarcasm is not needed nor is your rudeness, and if you noticed, theres a sharp difference between your posts and everyone elses, theres a way to say things

Jay,

On that I beg to differ from front to back and would normally do so; however, … I inadvertently tripped across the fact you are a young, strapping lad of only fifteen years wow.gif. That said I eagerly wish to retract my harshness impossible as it may be. For your edification and to your merit in the written word you come across as notably mature. I assumed to my embarrassment you to be a college attendant whining over a modest workload. In fact you are only beginning your quest and in that endeavor I wish you the best.

Hang in there! icon_cool.gif

While it may seem rather inopportune that you study a Christian story the understanding of it will no doubt play out in your life here and there. Perhaps not in a dire sense, but more likely in a circumstance where you will simply be glad to know. FWIW the ‘Christian’ kids barely know what they know.

Best,

Landis <------------- wrongly assumed they were 'carding' entrants at the door. icon_redface.gif

No reason to lock it, you guys have been good ;)

IMHO you don't need to read the bible. It sounds to me as if the teacher was just illuding to the story of Adam and Eve and you didn't know what she was talking about and asked for clarification. Just google "Adam and Eve" and read up.

Even though you're correct that teachers are not allowed to teach religion in school, these stories are a part of our culture here in the US. Not understanding them puts you at a disadvantage.

For instance if I told you your argument with somebody was like David and Golliath would you know what I mean?

Can you see the movie "Evan Almighty" and understand whats going on?

All you really need to know is the basic plot.