If You Are Anti Drl Go To This Site And Express Your Feelings

silvercorvette

If you are against DRL you may want to let your feelings be known. I went to this site and voiced my opinion.

http://www.lightsout.org/join.html

This is what I wrote

I have owned a few cars with DRL and the first thing I do when I get the car is to go to a car forum to learn how to disable the DRL on that make car. I have disabled the DRL on every car I have ever owned or leased

Gee, back in the 60's we used to add small lights to the grill wired up to the ignition primary so we'd have some visibility.

I don't think so, they were used to make you car look cool, A few lights in the grill, fuzzy dice on the mirror, and flames pained on the hood and side, what more could a person want?

Gee, back in the 60's we used to add small lights to the grill wired up to the ignition primary so we'd have some visibility.

I don't think so, they were used to make you car look cool, A few lights in the grill, fuzzy dice on the mirror, and flames pained on the hood and side, what more could a person want?

Nope we had one white light with faceted lens in the middle of the grill, not the cowboy stuff you're talking about. They were "safety" lights. That othe stuff you're talking about was cowboy bull*BLEEP*.

why are poeple so against DRLs. It doesnt bother you, and they provide a little lighting when you enter a garage before the autolights kick in. Geez, do you think they look bad or something? thats how i can tell when a lexus is coming up behind me or in front of me

why are poeple so against DRLs. It doesnt bother you, and they provide a little lighting when you enter a garage before the autolights kick in. Geez, do you think they look bad or something? thats how i can tell when a lexus is coming up behind me or in front of me

I agree, what's the problem with them...

I can always tell when a highlander or Rx is coming towards me from a long distance away... <_<

We had this discussion in the 4Runner forums....

Some people say (which I don't see the logic in them) that it causes 2 problems: 1. Worse gas mileage (I dont know how the hell lights affect the gas mileage) and 2. Some say it confuses people who see only one DRL on (when one's being used as a turn signal for the orange DRLs) when they look at your vehicle for a split second, and get a different message. Although some cars like the RX don't have to worry about the 2nd reason, but i dont see how the first reason makes any sense?!?!?

Some LTD 4Runner owners want to REMOVE their DRLs (idiots) while me on the other hand, worked hard to get them installed. :cheers: :cheers:

The only DRL's that are objectionable are the ones that run full power high beams. I thought they did away with those though.

As far as them being a substitute for turning your lights on in dusk/dawn or low light conditions, that's simply not true. State laws say you have to turn on your headlights. Otherwise you don't have any tail lights on. What good is that?

DRLs are like the nav lockouts, I have never seen what the big deal is about them but some people will always need something trivial and insignificant to mount a fuss over. I wish I had enough time to engineer websites and petitions against something as meaningless as DRLs.

As far as them being a substitute for turning your lights on in dusk/dawn or low light conditions

my garage example was not saying that the DRLs were subsitutes for the headlights. i was saying it provides some lighting for those 30 seconds before the headlights kick in.

As far as them being a substitute for turning your lights on in dusk/dawn or low light conditions

my garage example was not saying that the DRLs were subsitutes for the headlights. i was saying it provides some lighting for those 30 seconds before the headlights kick in.

I wasn't referring to your example, but one in the long list of silly reasons on the anti-drl website. I doubt anyone needs tail lights in the garage anyhow. :chairshot:

DRLs are like the nav lockouts, I have never seen what the big deal is about them but some people will always need something trivial and insignificant to mount a fuss over. I wish I had enough time to engineer websites and petitions against something as meaningless as DRLs.

Oh man, not the nav again, Hey buy a Garmin and solve it all, cost $249.....

I think DRLs are a pointless "safety" feature (if some low watt light bulbs are going to help you see a 2 ton block of steel moving at you on the road, then, you should be in your opthamologist's office instead of sitting behind the wheel of a car.), but I don't think I'd go out of my way to disable them. Remember those GM tv commercials when they first started with the drls? "Hey buddy your lights are on!!!!!" LOL

thats how i can tell when a lexus is coming up behind me or in front of me
How so? Considering that hundreds of cars now have drls. Also, if it takes 30 seconds for your lights to cut on, you should have the light sensor adjusted to be more sensitive.

I am actually for them. They're designed to add the same kind of safety feature as they do for motorcyclists....aka...make you NOTICE them. They're not for the driver's benefit, but for traffic's benefit. Your eyes tend to register brighter spots in your vision. With a pack of cars coming at you that has their lights off, you're more opted to notice the one that has their's on. Now when they start blinking like the newer motorcycle's do, that's when I'll start driving around with my hazards on. :lol: The one thing that bugs me about them is on the GM trucks and SUV's, how only one seems to be working, no matter which side is on, or how many people are in the truck, it seems like only one works. Rarely have I seen both on at the same time, which I don't understand. GM quality "shining" through again, or is it for a reason?

last time i checked, a mojority of cars dont use DRLs, which means that only lexus, and high end toyota cars do. And maybe some american cars, but not that many of them. Thats how i can tell a lexus from anything else.

I like the 30 second time limit, so that it doesnt need to turn on in shade.

I am actually for them. They're designed to add the same kind of safety feature as they do for motorcyclists....aka...make you NOTICE them. They're not for the driver's benefit, but for traffic's benefit. Your eyes tend to register brighter spots in your vision. With a pack of cars coming at you that has their lights off, you're more opted to notice the one that has their's on. Now when they start blinking like the newer motorcycle's do, that's when I'll start driving around with my hazards on. :lol: The one thing that bugs me about them is on the GM trucks and SUV's, how only one seems to be working, no matter which side is on, or how many people are in the truck, it seems like only one works. Rarely have I seen both on at the same time, which I don't understand. GM quality "shining" through again, or is it for a reason?
I've seen a lot of GM trucks with one burnt drl too. LOL That's not GM quality, that's Sylvania quality (or whoever they buy their bulbs from.). As for the motorcyclists, they reap what they sow. I am always so tempted to open my door when I see one of them come flying between two cars in bumper to bumper traffic. :chairshot:
last time i checked, a mojority of cars dont use DRLs, which means that only lexus, and high end toyota cars do. And maybe some american cars, but not that many of them. Thats how i can tell a lexus from anything else.
Sounds like it's time to check again because Lexus is not the only one (or even the majority) to have drls.
Actually I would venture to say 70-80% of all cars sold today have DRLs.
And, I'd agree with that estimate.

Once you take a few driving courses in defensive and sport driving you would see the benefit to using the DRL's if not headlights.

Overkill is not even close as it keeps my vehicle more visible on the road compared to a parked car right beside a moving vehicle.

You brain registers the vehicle much fast and can associate the speed and distance better with the lights.

Ever tried to recognize a car in your rear view with only 1 headlight at night.

Oddly enough, my wife's 07 Mazda 3 does not have them, and I wish it did. I find it strange that a car manufactorer will put in heated seats, traction control, auto rain wipers, tire pressure monitors, 8 air bags, and NO drl? Not to mention, the head lights do not turn off on their own either when you shut down the car and get out, they buzz a warning tone in the car to remind you to turn them off. I thought that was just strange :wacko: