Performace Chip

LexKid630

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A performance chip is nothing more than a re-engineered computer chip that reprograms your computer. I have no doubt that there may indeed be performance gains. However, imho, there ain't no free lunch here. In other cars that I have seen performance chips for, you typically gain horsepower and/or torque but usually at the expense of gas mileage, emissions, or drivability. Maybe all three? I would certainly ask if their claims are backed up by independent testing and what they are sacrificing for these gains. Just my opinion.

Then again, I didn't buy the RX for performance and my wife drives like a granny anyhow! ;)

If i have ever see a crock of !Removed! it is those pieces of crap ,it is a 3 cent resistor in a box. It makes the engine run richer thinking it has more air ingested.

Get a aem or greddy unit to properly do the same thing but according to load ,speed and other factors to make it work properly, BTW it will not work on 90% of modern Toyota's as they have self learning sensors and ecu's which change the values according to t what the sensor reads. So it stays in spec longer to changing environments.

btw read the feedback where they even say it is a resistor they were sent and it sucks by more than a few people

Well, i got one... just have to wait for it to arrive; probably a week or so.

I only spent $14 with shipping. It'll end my curiosity at least :huh:

You are probably right... oh well :unsure:

Any more thoughts or experiences, negitive or positive?

You cetainly have the right to buy what you want and install aftermarket products for whatever reason. I do question your thought process though when you ask for questions and opinions and someone tells you that the product is probably snake oil. Then you go out and buy it anyhow and ask for MORE opinions? :chairshot:

As suggested by others, REAL performance chips are that = not some $5 Radio Shack part- and REAL performance chips can cost several hundred dollars. The price alone should have told you that the only performance you will see is because your wallet is now lighter.

You cetainly have the right to buy what you want and install aftermarket products for whatever reason. I do question your thought process though when you ask for questions and opinions and someone tells you that the product is probably snake oil. Then you go out and buy it anyhow and ask for MORE opinions? :chairshot:

As suggested by others, REAL performance chips are that = not some $5 Radio Shack part- and REAL performance chips can cost several hundred dollars. The price alone should have told you that the only performance you will see is because your wallet is now lighter.

And to add to the headache :chairshot: , You'll probably have to cut wires and solder :chairshot: Watch out when you have to reverse the project :chairshot: My .02 cents

And to add to the headache :chairshot: , You'll probably have to cut wires and solder :chairshot: Watch out when you have to reverse the project :chairshot: My .02 cents

There was a period of time in which this "mod" would actually work. The base idea was to modify the IAT, Intake Air Temperature sensor such that the engine ECU would "think" the intake airflow was cooler than actual. Cooler intake airflow equals densor intake airflow so the ECU would increase the level of fuel in the mixture and RICHER mixture therefore an increase in HP.

But modern day engine control systems defeat this "mod" by "learning", monitoring for the correct A/F mixture in the exhaust manifold via the oxygen sensor. So these days if you want this mod to work you have to also modify the mixture feedback signal from both exhaust manifold oxygen sensors.

These modern systems could possibly be fooled if the IAT modification were only enabled at WOT.

But as always the fact that it is simply a 3 cent 1/4 watt resistor isn't the issue, it's knowing how to use that resistor.

Hey, those chips do nothing, maybe +10 BHP at hig revs with an increase of 10-20% in consumption. For turbo cars, is another history, as you can increase the pressure, but in atmospheric cars, do NOTHING, is a waste of money. Same with the airflow filters, maybe +10% ONLY at 5000RPM and above...

If you want to gain horse power, and increase your top speed +120 MPH, then the only way is TTE.

www.tte.de

or this direct link http://www.tte.de/popup/tp_engine_tuning.htm

LEXUS RX 300 XU1

COMPRESSOR KIT RX 300 XU1

Power increase from 201 PS up

to 248 PS

Torque improvement from

283 Nm @ 4400 min-1 to 328 Nm @ 3300 min-1

AM 26236

Please refer to separate brochure.

post-20589-1173204855_thumb.jpg

post-20589-1173204963_thumb.jpg

post-20589-1173205032_thumb.jpg

I will just send it back if it doesn't work. It's not like i spent a lot for this...

So far no one here has actually used this exact chip on their rx300, so i'm testing it out for myself. I do appreciate your input, and i do consider it in my decisions.

I agree with you that it probably wont work, but i'll be 100% sure in a few days. Thanks guys.

I will just send it back if it doesn't work. It's not like i spent a lot for this...

So far no one here has actually used this exact chip on their rx300, so i'm testing it out for myself. I do appreciate your input, and i do consider it in my decisions.

I agree with you that it probably wont work, but i'll be 100% sure in a few days. Thanks guys.

The only way you'll be able to tell is on a dyno, with and without the mod.

I bought a spare MAF/IAT module for my 2001 AWD RX300 and tried resistor values to both improve FE and increase HP. Ran for about a week with each and couldn't tell the difference with HP and the FE improvement wasn't measurable.

Those Performance Chips are just overpriced paper weights, but if you want to buy it to try it out please do so but please look for my items on ebay as well, I'm selling magnets that make your fuel more effective and cure arthritis.

• 2 weeks later...

You cetainly have the right to buy what you want and install aftermarket products for whatever reason. I do question your thought process though when you ask for questions and opinions and someone tells you that the product is probably snake oil. Then you go out and buy it anyhow and ask for MORE opinions?:chairshot:

There was a period of time in which this "mod" would actually work. The base idea was to modify the IAT, Intake Air Temperature sensor such that the engine ECU would "think" the intake airflow was cooler than actual. Cooler intake airflow equals densor intake airflow so the ECU would increase the level of fuel in the mixture and RICHER mixture therefore an increase in HP.

But modern day engine control systems defeat this "mod" by "learning", monitoring for the correct A/F mixture in the exhaust manifold via the oxygen sensor. So these days if you want this mod to work you have to also modify the mixture feedback signal from both exhaust manifold oxygen sensors.

These modern systems could possibly be fooled if the IAT modification were only enabled at WOT.

But as always the fact that it is simply a 3 cent 1/4 watt resistor isn't the issue, it's knowing how to use that resistor.

IS THERE ANYBODY IN THE STATES THAT SELLS THESE COMPRESSORS ?

When you're right; you're right! It doesn't do a damn thing....

Sure it did! Your 0-60 time just went down .001 seconds because your wallet is lighter! ;)

If I were that kind of guy, I would say "I told you so!". :) Do you ever wonder how these folks stay in business. Surely someone must police these performance claims?

Gary

Here is the info about the compressors. I do not know if anybody sell this in the US. In case that anybody is interested in buying the kit, I can do it directly in Europe. I have office in Miami and I am sending containers there every month, so we could arrange the shipment. Also air freight is possible at very good prices.

Price for the compressor is around 9,100 USD.

If you want to gain horse power, and increase your top speed +120 MPH, then the only way is TTE.

www.tte.de

or this direct link http://www.tte.de/popup/tp_engine_tuning.htm

LEXUS RX 300 XU1

COMPRESSOR KIT RX 300 XU1

Power increase from 201 PS up

to 248 PS

Torque improvement from

283 Nm @ 4400 min-1 to 328 Nm @ 3300 min-1

AM 26236

Please refer to separate brochure.

Attached thumbnail(s)

IS THERE ANYBODY IN THE STATES THAT SELLS THESE COMPRESSORS ?

They have an issue working on north American cars which is why only TTE Europe sells them . Besides 10 000 for that little horsepower is ridiculas , you could build a nice turbo kit for less and it would have atleast 100 +

This should be a study in marketing. The whole listing reads like a bottle of snake oil. Sell something that doesn't work at a price that will make someone feel willing to take a chance. Even if you have to refund their money, you still keep the 'shipping' cost.

36+ HP guaranteed.

This should be a study in marketing. The whole listing reads like a bottle of snake oil. Sell something that doesn't work at a price that will make someone feel willing to take a chance. Even if you have to refund their money, you still keep the 'shipping' cost.

36+ HP guaranteed.

Actually, if done correctly I believe it can work.

The problem is that the MAF/IAT module sensors are (re)calibrated while/whenever the engine idles for an extended period. The engine control ECU uses the upstream oxygen sensor to adjust the A/F mixture to optimal (only insofar as emissions are concerned), ignoring the MAF/IAT sensor signal entirely, then records the operational parameters of these two sensors.

When the engine is accelerating under load the mixture is typically enriched to ~12:1 resulting in the oxygen sensor output signal being "off-scale", out of range, for contributing any usefull information. So ONLY the MAF/IAT sensors are relied upon for running an enriched mixture, ~12:1, for acceleration under load.

If "this" IAT signal's modifying resistor is out of the circuit anytime the engine is at or near idle and then ONLY switched into the circuit upon an opening or open throttle then the engine ECU will be "fooled" into thinking the incoming intake airflow is COLDER than reality and thus the mixture might run as high as 10:1.

20% more fuel at WOT and peak torque RPM would most certainly result in an increase in peak HP.

The only detriment might be early catalyst failure with lots, an inordinant level, of lead-footing.

• 1 year later...

Wwest, i am re-visiting this idea and am thinking of trying something, but i want your opinion first before i take out the wire cutters and soldering iron.

If i read correctly, you think this resistor thing could work if done as follows:

-during normal driving, everything is left stock.

-if seconds before acceleration, a 400ohm resistor could magically be placed in line.

-and if after acceleration, the resistor magically disappeared going back to stock?

I made some diagrams to illustrate a possible plan. first of all, i'm not sure if this is how the resistor would need to be placed. Where does it need to be placed?

The first image just shows what everything looks like now stock, and a resistor and switch that i would be able to control in the cabin.

The second diagram shows my new circuit.

Tell me what you guys think! Could this really work?? would it increase HP and boost acceleration?

post-13420-1212124532_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1212124537_thumb.jpg

Why ask opinions? You did ask the first time, got opinions that this wasn't going to do anything but you went ahead and did it. Then you report that it didn't work. Now you ask us again? I guess I am confused here.

If you really want a performance chip, buy one. You didn't the first time.

It didn't work the first time because the resistor given was i'm sure of a low ohm value, and the car's computer re-learns after a short period of time. My new plan involves a switch that only allows a higher ohm resistor to be placed in line only during acceleration, which by wwest's explanation could possibly work.

Assuming the IAT sensor is a thermistor with a negative temperature coefficient it increases resistance as the incoming airflow grows colder. So adding resistance in series, within "reason", would be the proper approach. Personally I would rig the switch such that the resistor is only in the circuit when the throttle plate is wide open or nearly so.

So your idea should work but the HP gain may be only 10-15% and therefore might not be really noticeable.