30,000 Mile Service + Atf Flush

flyguyco

I can perform all of the requirements specified in the 30,000 mile service interval for about $50 to $55 in parts and fluids and less than 90 minutes of my time. When I read posts like this one, it infuriates me how badly uninformed or catatonic owners get ripped by their dealers over and over again....

No doubt thats truly outrageous, I'd hazard to guess though, that Lexus figure most people who buy a Lexus arent the do it yourself type and probably don't consider $700 very much money. Not being one of those myself, I do know some people who are.

Back to your post I'd say if you don't want to do the work yourself do the legwork of finding a good and trustworthy local mechanic. Give them some repeat business and they can do almost all the same work the dealer can do for a lot less.

2003 RX300 30k mile service plus the ATF flush was a total of $709 including tax (8.25%). Has anyone else paid anything that exhorbitant???

Sounds about right in NJ (just under $650).

i took my rx300 to cherry hill lexus in NJ for an oil change, and waited one and half hour, cost me $129.

i nerver went back again as i do my own oil change now with Mobile 1 oil

I've always had them do the tires too @ 30,000 mi so i can't really say what the "service" is. I payed a LOT though!

I never had the 30,000 service done on the rx300 i have now since i bought it CPO @ 33,000 mi (had already been done).

i took my rx300 to cherry hill lexus in NJ for an oil change, and waited one and half hour, cost me $129.

i nerver went back again as i do my own oil change now with Mobile 1 oil

Sounds like you had filters etc done as well. Check your invoice. I've had one such oil change, and other lesser cost oil changes (oil change only) with Cherry Hill.

2003 RX300 30k mile service plus the ATF flush was a total of $709 including tax (8.25%). Has anyone else paid anything that exhorbitant???

Sounds about right in NJ (just under $650).

Labor was $433 total, $337 for the 30K mi service and $96 for the ATF flush

Parts were $222 - they charged me for 12 quarts of ATF fluid @ $7/qt, plus wipers, engine oil, brake fluid, kits, etc

Basically the 30K mi svc was $445 and the ATF flush was $210. I went by the local NTB and the equivalent was $170 for the 30K svc and $100 for the flush. Of course I'd have to provide my own fluids & filter, but for a $385 savings I think I can drag my lazy butt to the Toyota dealership to pick up parts.

I will take that approach for my ES300.

Hey everyone,

Been reading around the boards and there seems to be a lot of emphasis on getting only Toyota ATF transmission, differential, etc. oil/fluids ONLY. Cousin just became a head tech at a Lexus dealership here in NYC. Told me that toyota does not make any oils, fluids, etc at all. They buy everything in bulk, whatever is the cheapest they can get. i.e...the transmission or differential fluid is made by Quaker State or valvolne etc, depending who comes in with the cheapest bid.

The only reason why they say toyota on it is for packaging for individual sales and paying a couple of bucks more for nice packaging.

Basically, you can use any brand you want...Mobil, etc., as long the type of oil/fluids used is correct.

Not sure if everyone knew this already, but I just wanted to share something new I learned today.

It would not surprise me if Toyota purchases its transmission fluid from multiple suppliers using a low-bid process and then simply repackages it to give the appearance that it is exclusive to Toyota. I've always stated on this forum that I'm sure there are many other options out there that are chemically better than Toyota's Type T-IV fluid from a lubrication perspective. But I always advise that you stay with Type T-IV fluid until you no longer expect Lexus to provide a replacement transmission for you in the event that yours fails. From a legal standpoint, that's your absolute best option since all owners are advised through their owners manuals to run Type T-IV fluid in their transmissions. If you opt to use something else, you are essentially letting Lexus off the hook for early transmission failure. And that is simply not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. I've already forced Lexus to replace our transmission once, and if this one fails you can bet that I'll be forcing them to replace it again. Keeping Type T-IV fluid in our transmission, as required, was the silver bullet I used to demand that Lexus step up to the plate. If I had been running Amsoil or something else other than Type T-IV, Lexus could have told me to sit down and shut up....

I don't know this for a fact but one of my friends told me the same thing about the bulk oil lowest bids but he told me that the oil companies add Toyota's own additives to the bulk oil and then it becomes Toyota T-IV transmission fluid, and on chemical analysis they will know if you were using Toyota T-IV fluid.

Jeff

Not sure about that one. Usually it is very difficult to open the huge containers of oil, etc.

Basically if y ou use T-IV fluid, then any brand such as Mobil, Valvoline, etc is fine AS LONG IT IS T-IV fluid. Cousin fills up the car whichever container is closest and on MANY occassions, the mechanics could run out of one container and just finish it off with another container (different brands).

I don't doubt anything that has been said here, but given the history of this transmission, why would anyone use anything but genuine Toyota Type T-IV. It just doesn't make sense. There is a good chance my trans will fail someday and there is also a good chance I can get Lexus to pick up some of the cost. Aftermarket fluid, coolers, filters etc only help supply them with an excuse to deny responsibility.

A local Atlanta Lexus dealer quoted $550.

I just bought an 02 RX300 with 30.5k. Local oil change shop did most everything for 150 plus coolant. ATF flush also performed (not req at 30k). I did the cabin air filer, bought off the net for $16(oem) (vs 55 at dealer) and was a cinch to install. Because I had forgotten about the brake fluid change, I did it myself for nominal cost of fluid (took 1hr total).

Note there are websites for buying oem parts such as oil filter (6) and cabin filters and brake pads, etc. I take my oil filter to a local shop and have them peform the oil change with Mobil 1 (be religious about oil changes - beware of sludging).

$151 for the 30k service from Lexus? I find that hard to believe.

$709 sounds a little high but about right.

You are correct, I didn't read the 30k service, I only saw the fluid flush. that $151 was for a tranny flush.

Sure services are pricey at times. However you spend $$ @ the dealer and they will take care of small problems when you're out of warranty. Do medical doctors cut you a deal when you're sick?

I must be the butt of my Tacoma dealers jokes... 2004 RX330 30k service $820

my favorite thing about the tacoma dealer aside from their espresso machine is that it is borders a residential neighborhood, and the immediate neighbor to them keeps chickens in the back yard. the first time i visited to test drive the 400h the chickens had gotten loose and were all around the dealers parking lot, that is the indelible first impression that i will always have for that dealer. (service wise they have always taken care of me). secondly one morning when i slipped in for an early oil change i watched as the salesman arrived for work. what does my lexus salesman drive??? he drives an older red Jeep Wrangler 4x4 LOL. so it gave me an idea, i got a tin can and taped it to his desk with a sign that says 'please any donation welcome to help John by a lexus"... he says he has collected over $13.75 so far

Sure services are pricey at times. However you spend $$ @ the dealer and they will take care of small problems when you're out of warranty. Do medical doctors cut you a deal when you're sick?

I think the underlying message hinted at is: If you go to the dealer for all service and then something goes wrong out of warranty, you may have a leg to stand on where as if someone else has been servicing your vehichle and for example your transmission breaks.... Lexus may say tough luck since they do not know how it was serviced and with what. Thus the old pay me now or pay me later analogy.