Is This True/real?

wwest

In researching details of Lexus new DIS, Direct Injection System, I came across several articles indicating Lexus is dropping ALL FWD models from the line-up. Apparently the IS series is set to replace the ES and the FWD version of the RX series will be dropped.

RWD and/or AWD only from this point forward.

Lexus Canada no longer sells the FWD version of the RX.

In researching details of Lexus new DIS, Direct Injection System, I came across several articles indicating Lexus is dropping ALL FWD models from the line-up. Apparently the IS series is set to replace the ES and the FWD version of the RX series will be dropped.

After all, The worlds finest cars are rear wheel drive. Is there any information on the future of the ES?

I highly doubt it in North America as it's a hugely popular vehicle.

The ES/Windom isn't sold much world-wide & where it is, it doesn't sell well in most places.

They should have dropped it from a lot pf places years ago. Again, doubtful for North America, GoM islands, Pacific islands will most likely keep selling them.

Yes they are making FWD 400h in Japan and shipping them as you read this, some already are at dealers. They do not have the rear electric motor and are about .5 second slower to 60 mph. This version will get about one mpg better fuel economy. They are making the nav and rear camera optional on this version so the msrp is around 46K without those items. It does have everything else that comes standard with the 4WD 400h. Also for the first time I understand that Birdseye Maple is available on certain interior combinations for around 435.00 charge. (Lex Kid there is your wood inside a 400h)

I agree, the ES is Lexus #2 selling US model, and it outsells every other car in the Lexus line by a huge margin. The IS is smaller and doesn't appeal to the same crowd, I don't think the ES is going anywhere.

..wait, they're going to stop production on the ES series!!?? :censored:

So they'll only have the spaceship IS, GS and soon to come LS, and the LX, RX and GX?

What will be between the small IS and GS?

Doesn't sound good to me!

Also for the first time I understand that Birdseye Maple  is available on certain interior combinations for around 435.00 charge.  (Lex Kid there is your wood inside a 400h)

They finally woke up i guess...Not "into" the all silver thing...

Oh well, i wont be buying any new cars in the near future so it doesn't matter to me :(

They're not going to stop production of the ES.

Agreed, in addition to that, I have heard there is going to be a FWD version of the RX Hybrid offered to boot. B) I doubt Lexus will drop all FWD vehicles anytime soon from it's line up, unless they are relplaced with AWD. ;)

:cheers:

Plus there is still a market for FWD vehicles and with all other carmakers abandoning them completely, all those buyers have to go somewhere.

Personally I prefer RWD, but there are plenty of people to whom "RWD" is a bad word.

Plus there is still a market for FWD vehicles and with all other carmakers abandoning them completely, all those buyers have to go somewhere.

Personally I prefer RWD, but there are plenty of people to whom "RWD" is a bad word.

I for one like the ES and not the IS. If I had to pick from the 2 or leave Lexus..bye bye.

RWD has its place in many cars etc; but for me with winters etc, I will take FWD over RWD anyday. I had 5.0, z28 growing up and I hate RWD in winters.

We had an 03 and 05 gs430 RWD and it wasn't as good in the snow as the ES fwd.

I too would rather leave lexus than have the IS. If they EVER got rid of the ES i would be "forced" to leave if i ever wanted a car lexus. The IS forget it, the new GS forget it, and if they redesign the LS to look like the IS and GS, forget that too!

Hopefully they won't make too many harsh changes.

There have already been photos of the new LS posted in the LS forum. They're all going to look like the new GS and IS, its the new Lexus family design scheme. Like it or not, its the future. Personally I find it quite handsome. The SUVs will share the look too eventually. I especially really like the new interiors.

As for the IS, had it been the previous IS I'd have agreed but I sat in a new IS at the dealership the other day and really was impressed. Its a much more mature and refined car than the previous IS, and unlike the old one I'd actually drive one. Is it the car for me? No, but niether is the GS. I would drive both of them happily though, just wouldn't be my first choice.

As for FWD vs RWD, many experienced snow drivers will tell you that RWD is actually easier to control in the snow than FWD, which is true to some extent. With FWD you have an issue of the steering wheels being the drive wheels, so in times on reduced traction you are unable to steer, with a RWD car thats not the case and a talented driver can use the reduced traction condition of the drive wheels coupled with the ability to steer to safely maneuver the car (sliding arounf turns etc). Thats not the case with FWD, and when at speed a FWD car is much more difficult to steer properly than a RWD car in snow and ice.

That said, in ordinary street driving you have to GET TO SPEED FIRST. Thats where RWD is really a drawback. Even with TRAC and VSC, in a RWD Lexus once you stop if there's any sort of an incline at all, you're done. At least with the FWD you can get moving. Although my ES, while better than an LS, is no dream car in the snow either.

The plus side is the new sedans will all be availiable with AWD.

SW03ES-

I'm sorry that the only thing you did was to sit in the IS. Maybe the next time you go to your dealer you can take it for a drive and tell me your findings. :)

I would have loved to have driven it but the dealership was hopping since it was a Saturday and I didn't want to take the salespeople away from real customers.

My guy suggested I stop back sometime during the week and he'll let me take an IS out.

I was impressed though, the interior is very nice and has a much different feel to it than the traditional Lexus feel, similar to the new GS but with some new materials that were pretty nice.

The new Nav screen is UNREAL, its a super high res screen and the map is flawlessly sharp.

I would have loved to have driven it but the dealership was hopping since it was a Saturday and I didn't want to take the salespeople away from real customers.

My guy suggested I stop back sometime during the week and he'll let me take an IS out.

I was impressed though, the interior is very nice and has a much different feel to it than the traditional Lexus feel, similar to the new GS but with some new materials that were pretty nice.

The new Nav screen is UNREAL, its a super high res screen and the map is flawlessly sharp.

How did you find the interior room in the new IS compared to your ES? B)

:cheers: