Power Button?

moune

otherwise that feeling would be psychological.

Thats my point, its psychological.

So by pressing the ECT button I am engaging a psychological feature on my car???

Our thoughts on this may not be too far off. My main point was that the ECT was not just a button that turns on a light - it actually makes the car operate in a different manner in relation to shifting. This different shifting pattern can be felt while driving. (not talking about acceleration here.)

I am still somewhat confused as to your position. In one post you stated that :

"I personally think the LS drives 75% better in the PWR mode. I really wish my ES had one."

I interpreted that as you indicating that the ECT actually does something to the way the car drives and that it's not all a psychological feeling. (again - no reference to acceleration here.)

I think the only part where we may disageree is in reference to acceleration while already moving (not 0-60, not from a standstill, or not at WOT). This may be what you were referring to as the psychological aspect? I'm still of the mindset that there must be some benefit/result from the higher RPMs produced in ECT mode. Maybe not? I would be interested to see if anyone has tested the acceleration times from 25-35 or 35-45, etc. using the ECT and not. Although it would probably be nearly impossible to test what I am referring to because I don't know how you would be able to keep the accelerator in the same position (without going WOT) on two separate runs to test it.

We could probably beat this horse to death without any conclusive findings one way or the other on the last part.

We could probably beat this horse to death without any conclusive findings one way or the other on the last part.

I agree, and it has been beaten already....ad severe nauseum! ;) Not to mention this is something that is covered in the owner's manual. This is like one of those synthetic versus dinosaur threads. :blink:

All that needs to be said is that the ECT allows the tranny to shift at a higher rpm, downshifts more often, and shortens time between shifts. Whether you can feel the effects or not is a different topic. Personally, if my car were to shift at 3,000rpms vs at 4,000rpms, I'd never feel a noticeable difference.

Our thoughts on this may not be too far off.  My main point was that the ECT was not just a button that turns on a light - it actually makes the car operate in a different manner in relation to shifting.  This different shifting pattern can be felt while driving.  (not talking about acceleration here.)

I am still somewhat confused as to your position.  In one post you stated that :

"I personally think the LS drives 75% better in the PWR mode. I really wish my ES had one." 

I interpreted that as you indicating that the ECT actually does something to the way the car drives and that it's not all a psychological feeling.  (again - no reference to acceleration here.)

Oh no, the button definately changes the way the car shifts, I'm just saying acceleration doesn't change, not 0-60, even street starts from 5-35 or 40-60 all the times will be the same regardless of whether the car is in ECT PWR or not. The perception of the car accelerating more briskly is artificially created by crisper shifting.

I swore I'd just lurk and not get involved, but this is too tempting.

I think you guys are all saying the same thing, but attaching different intent. We've all agreed that 0-60 acceleration is the same b/c at WOT, there's an independed map used by the ECU.

Also, we've agreed that the shifting feels different in PWR mode vs. Normal. I think everyone has seen that the engine revs higher, and tends to shift a little bit more abruptly (hence the "firm" feel).

So it is psychological? From SW03ES's point, yes. You're at a stop light, and then the light turns green. You get a lead foot and so does the LS next to you. No matter what position your ECT is in, you're going to get to 60 at the same time (ceteris paribus).

Branshew's point, though, is totally valid as well. It's not all psychological. If you're cruising at 20 and want to get to 50 without going to WOT, the PWR mode on the ECT is going to get you there faster. Why? Because the engine is kept more towards it's powerband than in the Normal case.

Again, I'm not talking about pedal-mashing, I'm talking about just moderate pressure on the pedal. I'm sure most people are familiar with the shifting lag when you first hit the gas. The PWR mode just eliminates that lag and gets the engine to optimal revs and holds it there longer during normal driving.

Knowing that driving isn't binary (on/off, stop/go), the effect is not purely psychological in moderate (i.e. city) driving.

However, if you are the type of person who drives around with either the gas or the brake on the floor at all times, PWR mode isn't going to make a lick of difference, and it becomes a "feel good" switch.

I swore I'd just lurk and not get involved, but this is too tempting.

I think you guys are all saying the same thing, but attaching different intent.  We've all agreed that 0-60 acceleration is the same b/c at WOT, there's an independed map used by the ECU.

Also, we've agreed that the shifting feels different in PWR mode vs. Normal.  I think everyone has seen that the engine revs higher, and tends to shift a little bit more abruptly (hence the "firm" feel).

So it is psychological?  From SW03ES's point, yes.  You're at a stop light, and then the light turns green.  You get a lead foot and so does the LS next to you.  No matter what position your ECT is in, you're going to get to 60 at the same time (ceteris paribus).

Branshew's point, though, is totally valid as well.  It's not all psychological.  If you're cruising at 20 and want to get to 50 without going to WOT, the PWR mode on the ECT is going to get you there faster.  Why?  Because the engine is kept more towards it's powerband than in the Normal case.

Again, I'm not talking about pedal-mashing, I'm talking about just moderate pressure on the pedal.  I'm sure most people are familiar with the shifting lag when you first hit the gas.  The PWR mode just eliminates that lag and gets the engine to optimal revs and holds it there longer during normal driving.

Knowing that driving isn't binary (on/off, stop/go), the effect is not purely psychological in moderate (i.e. city) driving.

However, if you are the type of person who drives around with either the gas or the brake on the floor at all times, PWR mode isn't going to make a lick of difference, and it becomes a "feel good" switch.

Well explained,and enough said on this topic from me...

It was all getting abit HOT between you guys about this topic...

Lets all agree what a fine selection of cars lexus/Toyota build :cheers:

Cheers chips..

I just like that little green light on the lower left side of my instrument cluster that says PWR!!!!! Kick butt PWR. :cheers::rolleyes:

i dont know about the ECT button but all the pwr butotn does is make the tranny switch gears at higher rpms, BUT the ECM switchets gears the same way when you floor it anyway, so what ECT does is switched gears at higher rpms without you having to floor the pedal.

I agree with what econ says, again though except for the improvement of acceleration times. Even just around town there's not going to be any meaningful improvement in actual time it takes to reach certain speeds. Any difference is going to be in the microns...

I own a 90' model and I'm wondering is there a big difference for the power button.  When I have it on, I noticed that it shifts harder and has more of a jerking acceleration.  Will it use more gas? Is it bad to have it on, on a regular basis? What's the real purpose of it?

You know after reading this I have decided to start driving my 91 in pr mode. Its been a couple days now and I like it.

Both of my cars went into power mode the day I bought them, and have not been off since. I don't really know how they shift except in power....

Hi Everyone,

With the ect button on, it keeps the revs up before shifting without having to give it very much gas. If you step on it hard the ect button doesn't make much difference. If you step on it easy, the car seems to accelerate better. You can do the comparison yourself. It works best wherever you need a little extra acceleration without having to "floor" it. I would think it uses a little more gas with the ect button "on". I like it most when I am in town. Love my 1991 Ls (with over 250,000 miles). :cheers:

Daffy

• 3 months later...

Fact is guys...the power button assumes that you dont work for car and driver and you arent flooring the pedal.

A higher tendency to downshift results in better acceleration in NORMAL driving conditions. 0 - 60 with the pedal floored isn't normal.

This is the reason driving stick is faster. You hold it in whatever gear until you want it to move on.

The idea of power ETC is that for instance, going from quater throttle to half throttle, in normal mode at 45mph the car could just continue accelerating in 4th. In power mode though, the car with be more inclined to downshift thus moving you from 45 to 60 faster because it drops to 3rd.

No psychology involved but you have to remember that not all cars are made for drags. In normal driving situations this technology is a thing of beauty giving you options about the way you and your car interact...not unlike the new cars that "learn" your driving style.

I always think of the LS400 or LS430 in my finance business. Its funny but people think you are successful when you drive the LS anything. If I were to drive an Avalon most people would think of a normal car = average success.

Personally I could drive a Tempo and have confidence, but the LEXUS puts me over the top. I beam with energy and I feel great! I love my LEXUS!!

Cheers to LEXUS!

DFKD ,sorry to tell you but the reason standard is better for racing is for power transfer but for high end race cars using an auto/high stall convertor with a large oversized turbo will blow the doors off a same model but with a 4 ro 5 speed tranny.No lag from driver inputs.

Also in newer Lexus using the PWR button makes the throttle response much sharper causing more thrust.

I can't drive my LS without it in power as i feel like i am waiting all the time.

Since I rarely floor the car it really makes no difference where the button is. After driving my Nissan pickup 4cyl, the Lexus seems like it is a rocketship no matter where the button is. I do like the lloks of the PWR light on the dash so I usually leave it on.

The OTHER power button on 90's is under the accelerator pedal, and when clicked on, you go to wide open throttle (WOT). which takes you to redline with each shift.