Woah

my ls430

i just found the coolest thing with my car. i accidently closed the door to lightly so it clicked but didn't seal. and then all of a sudden the door sucks in. i had to do that again. it worked on all 4 doors. holy bleep is that cool. i knew it did that with the trunk. are there any other hidden or small features that i may have missed in my once over of the owners manual?

Before I bought the 99 LS, I test drove a MB S420:

Huge interior, quiet, a million buttons...........anyway........the doors did the same thing - just get 'em close and they would tighten right up!!

I agree - very cool!!!

:cheers:

Cool indeed.

I had a MB 635 CSI which does something similar, but not with the door. It opened the windows slightly and close them after you shut the door -- it was sweet.

Also, it would move the seat belt where you can reach it then tighten it up after you click it in.

When my mind would wonder during this function, it would get scary for a moment or two when I think to myself: hey, what if it decides not to stop when I think it is tight enough for me?

I never had a problem with it -- color was green. Oh well...

I don't think my 2001 LS does this? Should it?

JPF

It should tell you in the owners manual.....

If not, check out lexus.com and look up your model year - the features are listed there. Scan years 01 thru 04 to see if this options is mentioned.......

You know about the little refridgerator in the middle of the backseat? Well, it's an option, so your car may not have it. It doesn't actually cool drinks down well, but if you have a cold drink already, and place it in there, and go on a long trip, it keeps the drinks cold for quite a while. Only works well on long road trips, cuz...someone's kinda gotta be sitting back there to hand you the drinks, you know? Another cool option is the massage in the back seats, it vibrates and feels pretty good.

I like the fact that the rear passengers can control the radio, there's a little display on the middle armrest for it.

And the voice control thing is freaking amazing. I love being able to say "volume up" or "track up" to control the stereo, and it does other things too. Talking to your car, so Knight Rider.

i just found the coolest thing with my car. i accidently closed the door to lightly so it clicked but didn't seal. and then all of a sudden the door sucks in. i had to do that again. it worked on all 4 doors. holy bleep is that cool. i knew it did that with the trunk. are there any other hidden or small features that i may have missed in my once over of the owners manual?

I wanted that option pkg sooo bad but by the time the dealer got that option with the color i wanted, the 05 models would have been arriving. :cries:

John

I think it was first done on the top of the range mercs.

Its been around for a few years....more things to go wrong :D

Automatic closing doors are not all that unusual and were available even on the higher trim level 2-door Acura (Honda) Legend sold in the early 90's.

Odd that Toyota waited so long to provide this feature in the U.S. market on Lexus branded cars since features like this and reclining rear seats, rear seat A/C and audio controls, etc., were available in Asia on the corresponding Toyota branded models (e.g. Celsior) since the beginning.

Even the late 1960's long wheel base 6-cylinder Mercedes 300SEL sold outside the U.S. had optional reclining rear seats. We don't necessarily get "the best" in terms of equipment levels from foreign car manufacturers here in the U.S. - they appear to be struggling just to keep their prices down.

The situation hasn't been helped by the weakness of the dollar over the past 20+ years. When I checked a couple of days ago, the "Euro" was at 1.23 and the Japenese Yen was at 109! Not all that long ago one Euro cost less than one U.S. Dollar and the Yen was over 145 per U.S. dollar. Scary...

I think another issue may be reliability. My dad had some Lincolns and a Cadillac that had power closing trunks that were not at all reliable. If a loader at the grocery store slammed the trunk it would jam the mechanism requiring a dealer visit to fix. This happened the day after he got his 95 Cadillac STS, system jammed open and the trunk wouldn't close. He was actually worried when hje got his 04 LS but Lexus' system allows for a slam shut as it only activates when the door is lightly pressed against the lock. Malfunctioning door closers would have been a big problem for young Lexus reliability ratings. If you think about it early Lexus' didn't have many gizmos to go wrong, maybe thats why.

I just remember what a pain it was always having to warn everyone not to slam the trunk. I can remember my dad hopping out warning "DON'T SLAM THE....trunk" too late, off to the dealer.

I think another issue may be reliability. My dad had some Lincolns and a Cadillac that had power closing trunks that were not at all reliable. If a loader at the grocery store slammed the trunk it would jam the mechanism requiring a dealer visit to fix. This happened the day after he got his 95 Cadillac STS, system jammed open and the trunk wouldn't close. He was actually worried when hje got his 04 LS but Lexus' system allows for a slam shut as it only activates when the door is lightly pressed against the lock. Malfunctioning door closers would have been a big problem for young Lexus reliability ratings. If you think about it early Lexus' didn't have many gizmos to go wrong, maybe thats why.

I just remember what a pain it was always having to warn everyone not to slam the trunk. I can remember my dad hopping out warning "DON'T SLAM THE....trunk" too late, off to the dealer.

i did the same thing for my Q45. lol. no one ever listened