Greetings Folks,

We have an 05 RX330 (3.3 VVT-i) with 107k that has been well-maintained. However, we did not replace the timing belt at 90k thinking we could get more miles (not smart). Initially, I was under the impression this was not an interference engine.

Anyway, this past Friday night, after exiting the interstate, the engine died while idling (stopped at light). It would not re-start but did turn over.

We had it towed to our Lexus dealer for diagnosis. Today, we were told that the engine is "seized" and repairing it would not be economical. The dealer recommends replace the engine with a salvage yard engine for $6,000. The claimed the timing belt was not broken but must have "jumped".

Firstly, even for Lexus service this seem very high. Secondly, I don't see how the engine could be "seized". Damaged, yes but based on how this occurred seized does not seem possible.

PLEASE provide your comments/suggestions on what you think/know. I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow to see what they found but I'd like to feel better that the damage could have been this severe (seems unlikely).

Thanks so much!

Seized? doubt it unless the valve broke off and fell in. keep us posted, however another source of engine would probably be a lot cheaper.

No way did the belt break (or jump) unless there were some extreme circumstances. I'd probably pay someone unrelated for a second opinion. If the engine turned over, it isn't seized.

U R correct. The engine is not seized and repairs will not be cheap. I have heard u can pull the plugs, and get a camera inside the cylinders to check for damage. U need a good honest mechanic to diagnose this for u before trying a different engine. Good luck, u're going to need it.

I agree that it would be worth having it towed to either another dealership (could be Toyota) or an experienced mechanic that you or close acquaintances trust. I can believe that the belt jumped or sheared teeth. Whether that can cause damaged valves, I am unsure. Closer examination is in order.

Update:

Thanks for all the replies. I went to the dealer today and had the techs and foreman show me what they found. The timing belt is intact and appears to be in good shape. The engine threw a connecting rod (or so it appears as the oil pan was not pulled). It turns, with a wrench, a few inches on way only.

Before any work is done, I will have the oil pan pulled as I've no clue how I could have thrown a rod. The car never sucked water, never overheating, and has been well maintained.

So, the timing belt was NOT the culprit here. I looked to trade, and the dealer would only give $1,000 as salvage! Crazy as the car looks great, inside and out, but an engine is an engine and they will just wholesale. So, I must fix it.