guydlow

Questions on code 71 (EGR system failure)

Hello My engine and trac off lights have been on for several months (code 71 came up) and I have not noticed any problems until the other day. I started the car (95 sc300) and it seemed to hesitate, and then ran normal for a couple miles until the check engine light started to flash and the car died. I'm wondering if just an EGR issue would cause the engine to shut off, or if anyone thinks it's possibly a timing issue (maybe starting the car caused enough of a rattle to mess up the old belt?) but like I said, it started kinda rough, ran fine for a couple of miles, and the CEL light flashed and it died. I'm wondering if it's more likely a timing issue, egr issue, or perhaps both? Could a timing issue show up as code 71?  Thank you!

This is the explanation for Code 71

EGR system circuit fault (for ES300; GS300 & SC300 models)

You could try tapping the EGR valve with a screwdriver handle and see if you can then start the engine.....sometimes dislodges the blockage

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By calvados6
      Looking for advice from longer term Lexus owners regarding incidental findings upon replacing a battery in my 2007 SC430 with 18000 miles, and in beautiful shape and has no other service issues.
      The radiator was found to have a small leak with coolant along the lower seam, and there was the additional timing belt and water pump replacement recommendation, even though the car is low mileage, since the car is 11 years old.  Would you tackle all 3 items at once just because the mechanic is in there, or just fix the current but not acute problem, which is the radiator?  
    • By R Scott
      1997 Lexus SC 300 For Sale: I am the second owner of this car. I bought it from a Doctors wife when it was 5 years old, Always garaged, all service done per the book. anything that failed was replaced with Lexus parts, Always driven by me, 71 years old now. Interior and exterior in beautiful condition. everything but the CD player works (never has but I am not a music lover so never had it diagnosed). The car runs fantastic. Burns no oil between changes. All service records available. White, tan leather, 5 spoke optional factory wheels in excellent condition (chrome). 154,000 miles. I and more importantly my mechanic, would drive the car cross county without concern. Hate to sell it but I am having difficulty getting in and out of it. Too old to haggle. $6,000 firm. You will be proud to drive it anywhere. rscottm4554@gmail.com
    • By datarecovery
      This is a new car to me that I bought with the no start engine. Only 42000 miles since last timing belt change . Here's what I found when I opened it up.
      Several bolts on water pump  housing were loose. Alternator lower bolt was broken. The tensioner pulley was completely  broken apart so I don't have any pictures of that . Water pump shaft was bent and water composed inoperative. That's why the coloring on the water pump pulley is shows discoloring from the Heat. Who knows what happened in terms of the sequence....
      Anyone ever see this on a Lexus? I've had 10 Lexus before, worked as a mechanic 30 years, and I've never seen this before.

• By sc0wn3r
      Selling my car.  Located in So Cal.  Message me if interested.  Here's the link to my CL listing:
      https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6361354962.html
      113000 original miles 
      Daily driver
      Runs great
      3rd owner (friend of 1st and 2nd owner)
      All original, no mods.

Bad:  
      Driver window needs to be fixed.
      Minor head gasket leak into engine compartment
      Keep in mind this is a 20 year old car so the original paint and interior are not perfect and reflect being parked outside all of its life.
      Dent behind passenger door.
      Driver seat torn.
      Tape deck and factory sub don't work.
      Auto antenna grinds, but works.
      No key fobs.
      Passenger rear view mirror housing is loose, temporarily fastened in place.

Good:
      Clean title.
      Runs perfect.
      22-26 mpg average.
      AC blows cold.
      Sunroof works.
      12 disc Lexus CD changer in trunk.
      Electric driver and passenger rear view mirrors work.
      Power seats work.
      New tires with approx 5000k miles.
      Major service 30k miles ago: timing belt/tensioner/pulley, water pump, coolant, serpentine belt & tensioner, transmission filter & fluid, front/rear rotors & pads, brake fluid flush, rear struts, spark plugs, fan clutch, distributor o-ring.
      Serviced by Toyota/Honda mechanic every 5k miles... no known issues aside from head gasket leak.
      Recently rebuilt starter.

• By alex2354
      I'm looking for answers to my mysterious knock sensor code on my 2001 LS430 180k miles. P0325 Knock sensor circuit 1 is the code I am recieving. Trying to do some preventative maintenance I changed the spark plugs with NGK laser iridium. Prior spark plugs I believe were the Densos. I as well changed a leaky PCV hose and went ahead and did the valve. The car ran great for roughly a week or so and then the code came and hasn't left. I seafoamed the car as well after getting the code. If I reset the code the car runs great, but returns shortly. I notice a slight tick and pinging under hard acceleration. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated! I changed the spark plugs again also hoping maybe one of the NGK's was gapped incorrectly. I've went over the harnesses looking for shorts. It just seems strange I change the spark plugs and a knock sensor decides to give out.