First Time For Everything....

jcrome04

So next Thursday (8-27) I am taking a short road trip with my LS :)

From here (Port Angeles, WA) to there (Salt Lake City, UT) ~925mi one way.

One of my cousins is getting married so it should be a fun one!

My LS has about 167k miles on her.

I've had my oil changed, tranny fluid changed, new wipers, new serp belt. tires rotated... just getting a few maintenance items out of the way before the trip!!

But anyways... just thought I'd let everyone know about the trek ahead of my LS!! B) I'm excited, first trip this long for my car! The last trip, from here to Los Angeles, CA was done in my sister's Chrysler 300. I was surprised at how comfortable that car really was when you got it cruising on the highway. Still.. 06 Chrysler, no match for my 97 LS with +166k B) B) B)

So next Thursday (8-27) I am taking a short road trip with my LS :)

From here (Port Angeles, WA) to there (Salt Lake City, UT) ~925mi one way.

One of my cousins is getting married so it should be a fun one!

My LS has about 167k miles on her.

I've had my oil changed, tranny fluid changed, new wipers, new serp belt. tires rotated... just getting a few maintenance items out of the way before the trip!!

But anyways... just thought I'd let everyone know about the trek ahead of my LS!! B) I'm excited, first trip this long for my car! The last trip, from here to Los Angeles, CA was done in my sister's Chrysler 300. I was surprised at how comfortable that car really was when you got it cruising on the highway. Still.. 06 Chrysler, no match for my 97 LS with +166k B) B) B)

hope it goes well for you - did a 1500 mile trip from alabama to wisconsin a couple weeks ago in the LS, and man it did great. Averaged 27.5 miles per gallon with a passenger and loaded down trunk.

You'll have fun. I did Lansing, MI to Laramie, WY back before I had found this forum and knew anything at all about car repair. Leaving my Lexus Certified tech friend behind I had to learn in a hurry. I also did it with my car full of absolutely everything I owned and a pronounced 'wander' caused from a bad drivers side rear tire and it was still great. The only downside was the horrible mileage I was getting, but then again my new job was paying for it.

Also: Feel lucky you are coming from the other way, you don't have to drive through Nebraska the long way.

have fun bro! i go to washington from california twice a year, i put in a new stereo with a dvd player head unit before my last trip and my girl watched 2 movies on the way up and back...the LS will do just fine, have a safe trip

That's going to be fun! I took my '95 on a couple road trips, and they were great. I think the '95 had about 290k miles on it when I drove it from New Orleans to Dearborn, MI with stops in St Louis and Chicago. I think I put 3k miles or so on that week; it was fun! I wouldn't dream of taking any other 290k mile car on that run. I'm dying to take my '99 on a roadtrip but haven't had the chance to yet. Have fun and don't let the fuzz catch you!! :cheers:

That's going to be fun! I took my '95 on a couple road trips, and they were great. I think the '95 had about 290k miles on it when I drove it from New Orleans to Dearborn, MI with stops in St Louis and Chicago. I think I put 3k miles or so on that week; it was fun! I wouldn't dream of taking any other 290k mile car on that run. I'm dying to take my '99 on a roadtrip but haven't had the chance to yet. Have fun and don't let the fuzz catch you!! :cheers:

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you have fresh fluids and are ready.

mc

Just clayed polished and sealed her yesterday. I'll try to snap a few pics!

:)

I'm hoping the weather will be decent the whole way down! I know eastern WA has been very nice as of lately.

Road trip? Did somebody say Road Trip? :geek:

Your cousin wouldn't happen to be Fawn Lebowitz would it?

post-15797-1251225179_thumb.jpg

All seriousness though, you'll enjoy the LS on the open road, where it's really meant to be! When was the last time you had the tires balanced? If it's been a while, you might want to swing by a hunter shop and have it done. You can find one here at www.gsp9700.com!

My wife and I took our old 95' from Raleigh to Key West and back in 2005. We had to flee Key West due to a hurricane. We sat on A1a bridge for 4 hours while water spouts kept dropping on the road about 10 miles up. It was, intense, to say the least. The car did great! We also took it back and forth to Savanaha, GA, and up to Hershey Park, PA. Great road car!

Watch out fo' this guy too....

post-15797-1251225551_thumb.jpg

Oh you just have to love a road trip and it sounds like you have a great one planned. I hope you have your V-1 ready as there are people out there looking to spoil road trips. I am looking forward to colder weather so I can start taking my LS on road trips again. I kind of park it in the summer since the AC is shot. I usually average around 27 MPG driving alone with a light load at 75-85 MPH.

Hey everyone. On the road.

Just wanted to let you all know that I fell asleep at the wheel and spun out the lexus at 80mph. We are all totally fine.

Ill post more details when I get home on my computer. The tank is driving fine. We are 9 hours from home.

I believe the cosmetic damage is enough for insurance to total it out.

Future is anxious

Just wanted to let you all know that I fell asleep at the wheel and spun out the lexus at 80mph. We are all totally fine.

Ill post more details when I get home on my computer. The tank is driving fine. We are 9 hours from home.

Future is anxious

Glad to hear you're okay and sorry about the car. You always have to be careful at the wheel. The minute I get sleepy, I just pull over rather than take any chances. There was a time where I was nearly at the end of a 900 mile trip and just an hour away from home and I was just to sleepy to make it, so I pulled over and just slept for eight hours and knocked out the last hour fully rested.

I've always dreamed of driving coast to coast and next week I have the mother of all road trips. I'm trekking from eastern PA to Palm Desert CA and back; about 5000 miles round trip. I've changed all my fluids and did some suspension work in preparation. She's in good shape and I look forward to this trip. This looks like it will take me about 3 days each way. I've not seen much of the west before so I plan on stopping by the Grand Canyon on the way there as I don't know when I'll be doing this again.

I'm looking forward to this trip in my LS. I can't think of a better road car to be in.

Yeah it sucked.

I was planning on taking the next exit to switch drivers. But it hit so fast I woke up when I hit the rumble strips. I was only out for a couple seconds. . . But I guess that's all it takes.

Everything happens for a reason right? . . .:(

Dang, that sucks. Hope you have collision coverage.

Learn from that experience--I sure learned from it when I fell asleep at the wheel and ran over some rumble strips many years ago. Luckily the rumble strips did their job and I didn't hit anything...

Future is anxious

Total bummer jcrome, :o Glad to hear that everyone is OK. I always pull over when I get tired, Learned that a long time ago.........................

Yeah it sucked.

I was planning on taking the next exit to switch drivers. But it hit so fast I woke up when I hit the rumble strips. I was only out for a couple seconds. . . But I guess that's all it takes.

Everything happens for a reason right? . . .:(

yes it happens real fast - its just like a blackout. your brain has to shut down and reboot from exhaustion kinda. it can overide anything you try to do to stay awake.

very happy you and yours are safe....whatever is decided for your LS, im sure it will be for the better.

keep us posted!

B)

Just sucks because I crossed the UT/ID border, and was just kind of sleepy. Nothing major. Was going to stop off at the next rest area and switch drivers. The sleepy-ness hit so fast it's amazing... never happened before... Just out for 2 seconds and the car is toast...UGH!! oh well.... Just a car, and things could be much MUCH worse...

How's this for salt in the wounds... the rest area was 1.5 miles away from where I nodded off :( So cluse.... :(

Yes I have full coverage. 95% sure it's totaled. The estimate for just the bodywork was +$5,000.00

Leaked a $#!T load of PS fluid on the wrecker, and in the Walmart tire center where they re-mounted the two tires that came off the rim... topped it off with some fresh fluid... for some reason the PS leak stopped.... So... add whatever PS problem to the $5g total...

I'd kind of rather it be totaled , and just find a new car... start fresh.

M45? 2000 LS platinum? GS400?? Maxima/I35?? lol B)

Thanks for all your concern.

Wow. Sorry to hear about this! But I'm glad to hear your ok. Last time I checked in you were just waxing the car and getting ready.

Just sucks because I crossed the UT/ID border, and was just kind of sleepy. Nothing major. Was going to stop off at the next rest area and switch drivers. The sleepy-ness hit so fast it's amazing... never happened before... Just out for 2 seconds and the car is toast...UGH!! oh well.... Just a car, and things could be much MUCH worse...

How's this for salt in the wounds... the rest area was 1.5 miles away from where I nodded off :( So cluse.... :(

Yes I have full coverage. 95% sure it's totaled. The estimate for just the bodywork was +$5,000.00

Leaked a $#!T load of PS fluid on the wrecker, and in the Walmart tire center where they re-mounted the two tires that came off the rim... topped it off with some fresh fluid... for some reason the PS leak stopped.... So... add whatever PS problem to the $5g total...

I'd kind of rather it be totaled , and just find a new car... start fresh.

What s Drag, JC.....so sorry...that was a gorgeous car.

M45? 2000 LS platinum? GS400?? Maxima/I35?? lol B)

Thanks for all your concern.