Need Winter Driving Advice

91ls400

Up here in Ohio it snowed 3 inches in like 2 hours, as usual the roads were icy, wet, and slick. It wasn't a problem, the traction control system is amazing on wet and icy roads. When I went to pull onto a snow covered road and my driveway the trac system kicked on and it wouldn't let me go anywhere I just stayed in one place regardless of how much gas I gave it. Naturally I turned traction control off, I was sliding sideways just idleing! What am I supposed to do on snow covered roads does anyone have advice, is the trac system acting up or is that what it is supposed to do?

Lived many years/winters in north central MT. RWD only, always carried snowchains, never hesitated putting them to use, bags of sand in the trunk over rear wheels, for weight and occassionally for traction under wheels.

Don't drive the LS400 anymore but when I did used the same procedure.

I mounted Michelin Pilot Alpin H-rated snow tires - makes a huge difference. I love it when its snowing so I can race those 4x4 SUVs and watch their reactions. In dry, they are smooth and quiet, they wear well, and in snow/ice

quite phenomenal

I mounted some Bridgestone Blizzack snow tires the day before a recent five inch snow and they worked much better than the all-season "M & S" tires I've used in the past. It was fun blasting away from stoplights and leaving SUV's spinning their tires in the snow! And the noise on dry pavement isn't too bad although there is a little tread squirm.

Look for the "mountain/snow flake" symbol on the sidewall if you want real snow tires.

A 40 lb. bag of sand on each side of the 90 LS trunk seemed to help a lot although I have not not done that yet in the 2000 LS. A full tank of gas is an easy way to add weight at the rear.

Up here in Ohio it snowed 3 inches in like 2 hours, as usual the roads were icy, wet, and slick.  It wasn't a problem, the traction control system is amazing on wet and icy roads.  When I went to pull onto a snow covered road and my driveway the trac system kicked on and it wouldn't let me go anywhere I just stayed in one place regardless of how much gas I gave it.  Naturally I turned traction control off, I was sliding sideways just idleing!  What am I supposed to do on snow covered roads does anyone have advice, is the trac system acting up or is that what it is supposed to do?

I used to live in Syracuse, NY for 10years. FWD and 4WD are the best, but since I moved to Maryland, the snow didn't leave me. I swaped my all seasons with two cheap Snow tires. They're doing the job it's supposed to, but definitely measure the snow height before driving over it.

For you I'd recommend four cheap Snow tires, for Ohio winters

The best are:

Blizzak WS

but you'd have to replace them in Spring. Tirerack has also listed Perrelli, but goto Sears or Walmart, and get the cheapest Snow tires.

If you switch over, drive slowly over water. The snow tires hydroplanes a lot.

I have read many statements that any ls owner should have snow tires. After driving through some snow and on some ice, I agree. I would like to have a set of 4 snow tires. What tires do you suggest and where can i get them cheap? I dont want to bother getting an all new set of wheels, I would just like to put my snow tires on the original rims, is there a problem doing it this way? Also, will weight in the trunk help with traction, if so how much is too much? I would like to get these tires on ASAP...Any help would be appreciated!

Two or four winter tires....

If only two they should ALWAYS go on the rear, especially if you have FWD. Higher traction on the front vs the rear can lead to quick and deadly loss of control on adverse roadbed conditiuons.

So says Lexus in the RX300 owners manual, as do most tire shops.

So really, if FWD, four winter tires is your ONLY option.

Without snow tires the LS is a dog in the snow. Its terrible. RWD, lots of power, overzealous Traction and skid systems makes for a hair raising ride. My dad just got an 04 and the 04 comes with 17 inch wheels, he says its even worse in the snow than his 98 was. My ES on the other hand (FWD) is great in the snow, all the things the LS isn't, stable, confidence inspiring. In fact it was one aspect that weighed on my decision about new ES vs 00 LS, I can't afford a second AWD car just for the snow like my ol man can LOL. They just bought a new Infiniti FX for snow duty.

If you live where it snows DEFINATELY invest in a winter beater or snow tires, and switch the trac/VSC off, use the snow mode. Sandbags help, always keep the gas tank full.

You should absolutely go with 4 snow tires. Placing two different types of tires on a car is dangerous. Either install 4 snow tires or 4 all season tires, but never mix the two!

Snow tires are not only used to get you moving in snow. When you drive around a curve or brake to a stop, all 4 tires must have the same traction. This keeps the car balanced for both driving and braking, keeps the car stable and is key in extremely slippery conditions.

As well, many drivers will opt to use all season tires instead of snow tires in cold weather. This is a mistake. All season tires are a compromise between hot summer temps and cold winter temps. They are good at neither. Snow tires are formulated to have a softer rubber at cold temps which helps the tire grip better (remember that there are many days with cold temp and no snow). As well they have sipes in the tire to help grip ice and an agressive tread pattern for snow.

Hope this helps.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I use Bridgeston Blizzak WS-50's on my 94 LS living in Minnesota. I can't say enough good about these tires. Going on a long trip south in February 04 and have removed them as they will tend to wear fast in warm climates. I just

bought these in Nov 03 and will sell on Ebay in a few weeks. They have 2k miles

on them. If interested, email sburleson2@aol.com

If I were in the 'north', I would have extra rims and a set of Nokian Studded tires.

What could be better--(same with an LX,I think)?? They are made in Finland aren't they.

If I had lots of money, I would have them here for what we had this week !!

Tires:

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=1&w=1

State laws:

http://www.milexautocare.com/steering/steer6.htm