Windshield Wiper- Replacements?

rjt65

Howdy all:

Just wondering. with new car love the wipers. they do not smudge, clean all water etc.

One of the thing annoying me with my old car, was the crappy replacement wipers, I tried all the brands I could buy from all stores, never happy. strak the rain after few weeks on, etc.

If I did not upgrade the car, I probably would have tried those ones came out last year on-line or on tv...(Rain guard--forget the name-same co. that makes the wipe on rain protector and stuff to bead off the windshields)

Anyway, where does everyone get their replacement wipers ? Online, dealer auto body store?

cheers

I replace my wiper blades often... but as soon as I see the least bit of streaking.. I clean my blades and winshields as often as possible to squeeze some extra life out of them but for the most part I've been least disappointed by the Michellin blades I purchased at walmart. I've used bosch micro blades which were a waste of money.. and currently have on the bosch icon blades which look nice but I fail to see an advantage yet as they've only been on for about a week... I got those at advanced auto parts since they were on sale.

I have tried almost all brands of replacement blades, and none compared to the Lexus OEM replacements blades. This test was done on all the ES's I've owned since 1991('91 ES250, '94 ES300, '03 ES300, '07 ES350). ;)

where do you buy the OEM blades from? Internet, Dealer-service shop, other?

what do they run you (assuming the heavy overcharge as it is Lexus :angry: )

cheers

I have tried almost all brands of replacement blades, and none compared to the Lexus OEM replacements blades. This test was done on all the ES's I've owned since 1991('91 ES250, '94 ES300, '03 ES300, '07 ES350). ;)

I've been told to stick with OE blades or refills as well.

The only other blade that I have liked very much have been the Bosch ICON blades......lasted quite a while with excellent performance.

:cheers:

I used to use rain-x all the time, , if you keep up with re-application, fine, , If I fell behind re-applying found it to get detrimental and smudge.

I started using the add-in to the windshield wiper fluid, that seemed to help.

I found the wipers so good on my new Lexus i rally do not need the rain x.

So it sounds like all use OEM blades, when do you get them and do all buy from the dealer/service or online?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What year is your GS? Its probably too old, I think they started using the coating in 2001.

But no, I wouldn't use Soft Scrub on a new Lexus. Although I think with the coating you'd never have hard water stains to remove.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to remove the blades from the 2008 ES350 - they are more "flush" than other model standard blades (eg an RX 350 from 20076), and not obvious as to what you push or pull to get them off.

• 1 month later...

The blades have a winter position which is designed to prevent them being frozen by ice--you have to force them up a little bit and then they will click into place--it's probably about 10 degrees counter-clockwise. I discovered it by accident when they wouldn't go all the way down last summer and I was getting bugs all over them. I asked a dealer and was told about the winter position.

In the winter position, you can fold the blades up 90 degrees from the windshield and remove them from the arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding ES350 Wiper blades, I meant to day "How do you get the actual blades off the arms" - on the 2008 ES, there seems to be some sort of lock that keeps them from sliding off, evenwhen the arms are in the "out" (winter) position that you would use to get the blades off.

• 1 month later...

My dealer charges $19 to replace the blades. So I never do it. My Toyota blades are $10 at the dealer. Why bother. Plus at Lexus I get a free Starbucks and car wash & inside cleaning.

• 1 month later...

I saw a bunch of Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades at the Lexus Service Center in Rockville, MD, yesterday. Looks like they are advocating these blades instead of the OEM ones?

Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades

I saw a bunch of Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades at the Lexus Service Center in Rockville, MD, yesterday. Looks like they are advocating these blades instead of the OEM ones?

Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades

I've had them...they suck.

I think they stock them for the older cars when people like the single blade design on the newer cars.

• 3 months later...

Plus Lexus glass is already water repellant in the windshield and front windows.

Interesting. When I bought my new ES two months ago, the dealer tried to sell me an "add-on" windshield treatment for $200. Said it would repel the rain water sooooo much better than without. I didn't buy it. Wonder why I would need that if Lexus is already coating the windshield??