Car Washes And Waxing Your Is - Paint

ella

(This is probably the wrong place to post this) sorry.

I hear lots of opinions on car washes... so I'm looking for yours.

Which is recommended to keep the paint looking perfect especially SGM. Touchless car washes are supposed to be better than the old cloth ones, but I have major swirl marks on my old car and I only used touchless.

OR

washing by hand with a certain cloth?

Also people say not to wax a new car?

What's the real deal?

(This is probably the wrong place to post this) sorry.

I hear lots of opinions on car washes... so I'm looking for yours.

Which is recommended to keep the paint looking perfect especially SGM. Touchless car washes are supposed to be better than the old cloth ones, but I have major swirl marks on my old car and I only used touchless.

OR

washing by hand with a certain cloth?

What's the real deal?

Well, I made the mistake of not waxing my HONDA immediately - big mistake. Scratched the clear coat in a bruch car wahs. Get a good coat of wax on the car ASAP. Then touchless is good - but tell them no brushes on the body or glass - because many places before you actually get into the touchless portion of the car wash take brushes to the windshield and bumpers - bad idea - got some scratches that way.

I detail my car once a month and wax it every other month.

here is some advice...do this ENTIRE process once over then just rewash and wax as needed to keep the paint glossy and smooth...

first of all...NEVER let anyone wash your car other than yourself.

1. wash the car with Meguiars car wash, cool clean water and use a soft wool mit.

2. I reccommend MEGUIARS pro products whenever possible

3. dry the car using a CLEAN SOFT chamois

4. CLAY BAR your car, use the Meguiars kit if you can find it or order it online. this will remove all the impurities in your paint and any pollen/fallout in the paint and clearcoat

5. use a good scratch remover (IE: Meguiars Scratch X) applied with a soft applicator and removed with microfiber cloths.

6. apply a GOOD HIGH QUALITY CLEAR COAT WAX such as Meguiars Gold Class car wax which is great for clear coat metallic cars.

After this you should wash the car as needed and wax about every other month, depending on where you live you will want to clay bar the car every 4-6 months or whenever your paint isnt smooth even after waxing.

Good luck, let me know if you have more questions!

What's the real deal?

I think paint used to take weeks to finish its curing process. As it was going through this process, it would emit a gas of sorts - so a coat of wax wouldn't let the process go unhampered.

I'm not so sure this is still the case. I think mass production factories have kilns to assist and expedite the drying process. Perhaps someone else will have industry insite to this. I'd like to know myself.

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend, I finally got around to taking good care of my IS350. I'm going to sound a bit like a Meguiars sales person, but I assure you I'm not.

Here is what I did:

1. First I cleaned my rims with Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. Rinsed. I do this just to get off the heavy break dust. Has anyone else noticed how much break dust the 350 produces??? It is almost obscene. Does it ever slow down?

2. Next I washed my IS with Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash. I don't find anything special about this wash, but it does the job.

3. After washing, I dried my car with a chamois.

4. After drying, I went over the entire car with my Meguiars Clay Bar and the Quick Detailer Mist and Wipe. This is the first time I've ever "clayed" my car and the process takes a bit of time, but boy is it ever worth it.

5. Next I applied Meguiars NXT Generation Wax, which is a synthetic polymer wax (as opposed to a Caranuba based wax). Synthetic polymer's are *supposed* to last longer and protect better than caranuba waxes.

6. After letting dry, I removed the wax with a 100% cotton cloth. Did one final pass of the car with a different 100% cotton cloth.

End result is that my car not only had the show room shine, but is also had that "show car" feel. The paint was silk. I was astonished at how much gunk the clay bar took off IMMEDIATELY after I had just washed my car. It is amazing. My car now has that "wet look". It is unbelievable.

As for Zaino... I did a lot of research about Zaino and read the articles both pro and against. I have not used it but I'm sure it is a great product. Probably as good or better than the stuff I used, but here was my issue. I live in NJ and NJ is one of the 4 places you can't order Zaino from their website. I emailed the NJ link and no response.

I think emailed Sal Zaino directly and he responded with minutes. He gave me the number of two Zaino distributors. One in NJ (Howell) and one in PA. Only the one in PA mailed stuff out. So I call the PA guy and no answer. Phone rand probably 12 times and then finally a answering maching picked up with a shady message.

I didn't feel comfortable leaving a message or giving this person my credit card info. I ran over to Pep Boys, bought my Meguiars and 2 1/2 hours later, I had the most amazing looking shine I could've imagined.

Now there, did you read my post above?? I have to stand with you in saying sometimes I sound like a Meguiars salesperson but damn, their stuff really is the best.

Awesome job..I applaud you for taking care of your OWN car unlike many other lexus owners who take it to the nearest Joe-shmo wash and have someone do it for them with who knows what products/pads/towels.

YAY!

The big thing which would sell me on Zaino is they claim you only have to wax twice a year. If true, that would be a HUGE advantage, especially since I live in the Northeast and washing and waxing can be tough in January and February.

I figure I'll give her one last good wax in December and then probably wait until March before I do it again, unless of course we get some 60 degree days in February like last year.

The big thing which would sell me on Zaino is they claim you only have to wax twice a year. If true, that would be a HUGE advantage, especially since I live in the Northeast and washing and waxing can be tough in January and February.

I figure I'll give her one last good wax in December and then probably wait until March before I do it again, unless of course we get some 60 degree days in February like last year.

Has anyone tried the OptiSeal sealant, instead of Zaino. They are the same company that makes the ONR wash, which gets good reviews on this site. They also claim to get 9 months between coatings, lots of gloss from multiple coats, etc. Also claim their product's polymer formula cross-links with previous coats to make it more durable. I have ordered the OptiSeal and spray wax, but haven't received yet, so can't give my review yet.

Here is a link to the Optimum products forum, in case anyone is interested.

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?act=idx

No wax last 6 months here. I live in the Northeast and the longest I have gone with a wax is about 4 months (with CG5050). I also have Zaino Clear seal and is nice but overpimped and over priced. It is also nothing special here.

I use Optimum ONR in the winters and it takes about 18 minutes.

Has anyone tried the OptiSeal sealant, instead of Zaino. They are the same company that makes the ONR wash, which gets good reviews on this site. They also claim to get 9 months between coatings, lots of gloss from multiple coats, etc. Also claim their product's polymer formula cross-links with previous coats to make it more durable. I have ordered the OptiSeal and spray wax, but haven't received yet, so can't give my review yet.

Here is a link to the Optimum products forum, in case anyone is interested.

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?act=idx

Never heard of it. Let us know how it goes, especially length of time between waxes.

On another note... I have a question about the whole "claying' thing.

Every so often when I would do it, I would hit a spot on the car that was dry and the clay would really "jam". Do you think you run the risk of damaging the finish by doing this? I tried to be careful, but it happened at least 3-4 times.

• 3 weeks later...
Now there, did you read my post above?? I have to stand with you in saying sometimes I sound like a Meguiars salesperson but damn, their stuff really is the best.

Awesome job..I applaud you for taking care of your OWN car unlike many other lexus owners who take it to the nearest Joe-shmo wash and have someone do it for them with who knows what products/pads/towels.

YAY!

While good advice is always appreciated, some of us do have a life outside of this forum and may not have the time, energy or desire to make such a substantial effort to wash a car, and, while any Lexus is a darn nice car, it is, in fact, just a car.

While good advice is always appreciated, some of us do have a life outside of this forum and may not have the time, energy or desire to make such a substantial effort to wash a car, and, while any Lexus is a darn nice car, it is, in fact, just a car.

I believe the original poster asked how to keep their car in the absolute best condition, and the way to do that is to learn how to detail it properly or pay a competent professional to do so for you.

Obviously your goal is not the same as the original poster's. While your point of view is fine, this is the detailing forum. If you don't want advice from the standpoint that detailing is a neccisary and enjoyable part of proper car ownership you shouldn't read or participate in the detailing forum.

I'd also appreciate it if you wouldn't insinuate that the members that feel this way don't have a life or don't have a life as important or fulfilling as yours. Since you haven't been a part of this discussion so far and have nothing of relevance to add to it I can only assume your post was meant to put others down. Thats rude, and it won't be tolerated here.

A Lexus is "just a car" - Not to many of us! Pride of ownership is one thing that drew me to this forum to begin with. Researching and finding out how to make our baby look her best and to protect the finish is well worth the effort.

As far as product recommendations, I asked if anyone had tried OptiSeal in a previous post on this thread, and now have some feedback to pass along. I tried the OS on our daily commuter (94 Accord), to check it out first, and the results were fantastic. Repeating what others have already said, the preparation steps are the most important part, so having seen the difference that claying and polishing did for our 12 year old Honda, I am definitely a believer. After the Honda, I did our 07 IS250 AWD (Smoky Granite Mica).

The OS goes on super easy - you spray the clear OS onto a yellow foam applicator that comes with the product, then wipe it on in slightly overlapping swathes. There is virtually no pressure required and unlike wax where you rub it in, you simply are pulling the applicator across the paint. Its hard to tell that anything is going on, but if you look at just the right angle to the light you can see a slight film that flashes off pretty fast. It takes about 15 minutes to do an entire car, and if you do it correctly, that's it!! That is why they call it a WOWA product (Wipe On Walk Away)! I re-loaded the applicator a little more frequently than required and had a couple of minor streaks. All these streaks required were a gentle wipe with a MF towel and the finish looked perfect. As I stood back I thought, "this looks really nice", but I was hard pressed to say it looked better that a good wax job (it just took less time). Then, a couple of days later, I was in the garage getting ready to head out to work. After turning on the lights I was amazed to see the finish was just "glowing". The shine was somehow deeper and wetter looking - the term liquid comes to mind. It is really hard to describe, and the picture I took just does not do her justice! Based on these results I plan to use OS from now on. BTW - I am not a professional detailer, having just purchased our Lexus in August, and I just started researching and reading about detailing at that time. I don't have a PC and do everything by hand, so even beginners can get fantastic results!

Hey tex2670, Optiseal is so easy to use, even you might have enough to time to make your Lexus more than "just a car"!

BJ

IMG_1322.jpg

I believe the original poster asked how to keep their car in the absolute best condition, and the way to do that is to learn how to detail it properly or pay a competent professional to do so for you.

Obviously your goal is not the same as the original poster's. While your point of view is fine, this is the detailing forum. If you don't want advice from the standpoint that detailing is a neccisary and enjoyable part of proper car ownership you shouldn't read or participate in the detailing forum.

I'd also appreciate it if you wouldn't insinuate that the members that feel this way don't have a life or don't have a life as important or fulfilling as yours. Since you haven't been a part of this discussion so far and have nothing of relevance to add to it I can only assume your post was meant to put others down. Thats rude, and it won't be tolerated here.

I didn't reply to the OP--I replied to Lexusaddict, who said "unlike many other lexus owners who take it to the nearest Joe-shmo wash and have someone do it for them with who knows what products/pads/towels". Not sure why it's ok for Lexusaddict to make insulting generalizations (as long as they are consistent with your POV), but you flame me when you believe I have done so. If you desire to have the cleanest car on the block, there's nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't mean others can't feel differently, and it doesn't mean that only the clean freaks are permitted to post in this forum.

Like I said before, this is the detailing forum. Detailing is a profession, a hobby, and a particular way of doing things that does not include running a car through a carwash and slapping on some Turtle Wax. Thats not to say you're a "bad person" or whatever if you don't detail your car or see the value in detailing, its just a different way of doing things.

What you said is akin to posting in a golf forum "You know, some people have lives outside of golf and dont have time to practice as much as you do. Golf is just a silly game". Now, do you think that would not get a response from hardcore golfers? I think it would, you just insulted them and in a completely meritless comment.

If you're not interested in detailing your car or having the cleanest car on the block, why would you even visit the detailing forum in the first place? Plenty of people have come in here and said "I'm not interested in spending every Sunday doing this but..." and are looking for little things they can do. Thats fine and we help them, but your comment that "some of us have lives" was intolerably rude and mean spirited and you know it.

You say I flamed you and thats not the case. As the manager of this forum, I corrected you. You can feel however you want and you can participate in here if you want to make worthwhile posts that add content. Your post was worthless and served only to be insulting to people who enjoy the activity that is the topic of this particular forum, and I'm telling you as a forums manager it won't be tolerated. Can't bear to let us discuss detailing without chiming in and making judgements about us? You'll no longer be welcome here.

Don't like detailing? Stay out of the detailing forum. It would be different had he posted that in a model specific forum, but he didn't He posted it in the detailing forum among people who agree with his point of view.

No wax last 6 months here. I live in the Northeast and the longest I have gone with a wax is about 4 months (with CG5050). I also have Zaino Clear seal and is nice but overpimped and over priced. It is also nothing special here.

I use Optimum ONR in the winters and it takes about 18 minutes.

Just read this post and I would like to put my 2 cents worth. I live in Southern Cal. ( In the middle of where the fires are blazing) and my son owns and operates a mobil detailing business. I do my own detailing of my ES300 but use my son's equipment and products. When he started out, he researched different brand of products. He uses exclusively One Grand and Maguires products, and swears by them. It proves it because customers come to him from other detailers when they find out he uses only the best products and gets the greatest finishes. He details for several members of different antique car clubs (You know how picky they are) and would not use him if he did not use the best. "Results proves it" "ONE GRAND AND MAGUIRES"

PS: When I wax and detail my car, it lasts 5 to 6 months. Calif. climate.

His results are more dependent on his skill and technique then they are the products he uses though. Customers come to him because he does great work, they just think its because of the products he uses.

Good products are important, but not nearly as important as skill.