Price Of Filling Up Ls400 (gas)

BjCaleb

I am in the market for an LS400 and I was wondering how much it cost to fill the car up with 92 or above? I know the fuel tank is bigger then my GS300 and that took about $45-50 to fill up with about 13 gallons..How much for the LS400..Thanks

I wish I could fill mine up in the UK but it would cost around $200.00! On average I put in £50.00 ( $100.00) at a time which half fills it.

Count yourselves lucky to own an LS400 and have gas at $3.20 a gallon.

I wish I could fill mine up in the UK but it would cost around $200.00! On average I put in £50.00 ( $100.00) at a time which half fills it.

Count yourselves lucky to own an LS400 and have gas at $3.20 a gallon.

:censored::cheers: I guess it all depends on how much driving you do a week. for me, my average is $40 to $50 a week for gas. San francisco bayarea gas price is $3.79 a gallon for premium gas and could be a llttle bit lower if you buy at Costco. since I do not drive too much, I will only put in that amount that i had mention above, and it will last me one week. I will not get a full tank of gas, but 3/4 full is enough for me. I will drive it until i have 1/4 tank left.

One Shell Gas station in San Francisco is selling regular gas for $4.25 a gallon. the owner is having problems with Shell Gas Company, so he decided to sell it high, and then walk away from his business, he doesn't care if he makes any sales at all. One newsstation sat at that station for 11 minutes before someone came in to buy gas, and was informed of the price, driver didn't see the price as he was driving in. he was told that the gas station across the street was alot cheaper than here. :unsure:

It costs me about $54 to fill up my ES when its about 1/8th left on the guage, and the LS has 5.5 gallons more capacity, so for me it would cost $71 to fill up the LS. The range is better though, and the mileage is about the same so the overall cost to me is about the same.

I have to fill up every 4-5 days.

It costs me about $54 to fill up my ES when its about 1/8th left on the guage, and the LS has 5.5 gallons more capacity, so for me it would cost $71 to fill up the LS. The range is better though, and the mileage is about the same so the overall cost to me is about the same.

I have to fill up every 4-5 days.

Gas here is around $ 3.19 per gallon. I pay just under $ 60 to fill up.

The issue is not so much "how much it costs to fill the tank" but rather "how many MPG does the LS get?"

Afterall, you use x amount of gallons, you replace x amount of gallons at whatever the cost per gallon. It is fairly

easy to calculate.

My LS400 gets remarkably good MPG for a heavy car and V8. I averaged 27 MPG on a highway trip at 70mph

with the A/C running. Even around town and combined city/highway, I am getting close to 25(w/o the AC)

I saw an ad in our local newspaper touting the new VW Beetle at 31 highway/23 city. While better than the LS,

its not THAT much better. For a 2.5 ton luxury car, the LS400 is very fuel efficient.

Here on the Canadian west coast I pay about $1.35 per litre, so around $6.00 a gallon. I saved so much money buying the Lexi used, that I just figure the depreciation gives me about 50k that the previous owners lost for buying new, and I use that for the gas. Twisted logic, but it works for me. Gas is the cheapest thing you put in your car. I don't complain. In fact I hope gas prices get all of the goofballs off the road so I can have more fun driving in less traffic.

I see so many first generation LS owners claiming that they get 25, 27, i've seen even 30 mpg on the highway, how is that even possible for such a heavy car with an 8 cylinder, Japanese technology or not. I'm not calling anyone liar, but I wonder how precise, the measuring methods really are. I get about 16 mpg city driving, and even if I were to drive highways at 60 mph,and there are alot of hwys here in Hawaii, I still would not get anywhere near that 27 mpg, and I have very low miles on the engine too. Alot of modern day 4 cylinder cars claim those type of numbers, and usually those ratings #'s tend to be overly optimistic.Ok, the new LS460 claims 18/27 , but this is a 2007 car, does this mean that technology has remained stagnant? Or was the technology for the first generation LS so ahead of its time, that even Lexus can no longer improve on it? Am I missing something here?

I lived in Hawaii for 25 years. In fact, I was born and raised in Hawaii, and by no stretch of the imagination would I consider Hawaii to have "highways".... Heck, drive 30 or 40 miles in a straight line on Oahu and you will be in the water...:) Combine that with the traffic, except maybe early Sunday AM and I'll bet your cruise control dash indicator rarely get's to light itself up. Hawaii and Maui relieve those distance limitations, but limited access roads are pretty hard to find in those parts.....

What we mean here in the central continental US by the term "Highway" is a long (> 200 miles or so and possibly up to 400 miles) stretch of limited access divided 4 lane roadway with a speed limit of at least 65 MPH, possibly up to 80 MPH. (If anyone should wonder where a legal 80 MPH speed limit exits, try I-20 in West Texas and I-25 in South Colorado.) This is where you load up the CD changer with 5 or 6 of your favorite CD's, set your cruise control, and drive for 3 or 4 hours at a single unvarying speed. Under those conditions, I have gotten as high as 31 MPG measured from fillup to fillup in my '98 LS400. If your bladder could handle it :), you could easily cruise for over 600 miles on a single tank of gasoline.

Under these, granted, very different driving conditions, the slipperyness of the Lexus body and the effiiciency of the powerplant can yield excellent fuel milage, assuming you use Premium gas, make the right choice of tires (Michelin XVS Energy) and a reasonably high (34 PSI cold) tire pressure.

Vern

I see so many first generation LS owners claiming that they get 25, 27, i've seen even 30 mpg on the highway, how is that even possible for such a heavy car with an 8 cylinder, Japanese technology or not. I'm not calling anyone liar, but I wonder how precise, the measuring methods really are. I get about 16 mpg city driving, and even if I were to drive highways at 60 mph,and there are alot of hwys here in Hawaii, I still would not get anywhere near that 27 mpg, and I have very low miles on the engine too. Alot of modern day 4 cylinder cars claim those type of numbers, and usually those ratings #'s tend to be overly optimistic.Ok, the new LS460 claims 18/27 , but this is a 2007 car, does this mean that technology has remained stagnant? Or was the technology for the first generation LS so ahead of its time, that even Lexus can no longer improve on it? Am I missing something here?

You bring up a valid point. Measuring techniques are crucial in determining MPG. And the temptation exists to round numbers(up of course!) when bragging about MPG.

I just got my Lexus and use the on-board MPG computer. Still, I like to verify with time-tested techniques. On a recent highway trip, the computer said I was averaging 27 MPG. When I went to fill up, I noted the trip mileage at 269 miles and the tank took 9.8 gallons of petrol. Doing a "rough" calculation in my head (270/10 = 27 MPG), I quickly concluded that the computer was more or less accurate. And this was not pure highway, probably 10% was city. Now, I realize that one may not fill the tank to the same exact level each time. So, there remains some ambiquity. However, overall I now tend to believe the on-board computer. I will continue to monitor and verify.

How is it possible to get this kind of MPG with a 5000 lb car with a V8? A LOT has to do with acceleration. If I "lead foot" it everywhere, then I could expect the MPG to drop about 5 (or more) around town. I just tend to accelerate smoothly and easily and I anticipate red lights and stops so that I can coast. On the highway, I set the cruise and let her go. No magic there. Still 27 MPG. I have the gen 2.5 (98 LS) and maybe there are engine control advances to explain the improvement over gen 1.

It takes about $65 to fill the LS in Louisiana (Shell 93 is about $3.3/gallon). I thought that was bad until my dad sent me to fill his Suburban; it took $120. LOL :blink:

Yeah, the heaviest LS400 weighs less than 3800 which is very light considering the size of the car.

We're about the same here too Blake. Ohhhh do I long for the days when $1.50 was too much! Like, 36 months ago :cries:

We're about the same here too Blake. Ohhhh do I long for the days when $1.50 was too much! Like, 36 months ago :cries:

:cheers: ohhhh do I long for the days when 35 cents was too much. and do any of you remember the gas shortage, odd and even days to fill up your vehicles. thanks god I had worked in a gas station at that time. am I showing my age. :cries:

No LS400 weighs anywhere near 5000lbs ;) ^^^

You are correct that the car itself does not weigh that much. From what I can find the curb weight is around 3850.

I was referring to GVWR which is slightly over 5k when fully loaded. Curb weight is unmanned.

I carpool with a load of passengers so while we may not hit the 5k, we are close to 4500-4600 with equipment.

The Lexus still gets this kind of mileage with all that blubber...er manliness on board.

I lived in Hawaii for 25 years. In fact, I was born and raised in Hawaii, and by no stretch of the imagination would I consider Hawaii to have "highways".... Heck, drive 30 or 40 miles in a straight line on Oahu and you will be in the water...:) Combine that with the traffic, except maybe early Sunday AM and I'll bet your cruise control dash indicator rarely get's to light itself up. Hawaii and Maui relieve those distance limitations, but limited access roads are pretty hard to find in those parts.....

What we mean here in the central continental US by the term "Highway" is a long (> 200 miles or so and possibly up to 400 miles) stretch of limited access divided 4 lane roadway with a speed limit of at least 65 MPH, possibly up to 80 MPH. (If anyone should wonder where a legal 80 MPH speed limit exits, try I-20 in West Texas and I-25 in South Colorado.) This is where you load up the CD changer with 5 or 6 of your favorite CD's, set your cruise control, and drive for 3 or 4 hours at a single unvarying speed. Under those conditions, I have gotten as high as 31 MPG measured from fillup to fillup in my '98 LS400. If your bladder could handle it :), you could easily cruise for over 600 miles on a single tank of gasoline.

Under these, granted, very different driving conditions, the slipperyness of the Lexus body and the effiiciency of the powerplant can yield excellent fuel milage, assuming you use Premium gas, make the right choice of tires (Michelin XVS Energy) and a reasonably high (34 PSI cold) tire pressure.

Vern

Interesting! Here on Oahu the H1, H2, H3 are all highways to me, and some do stretch to 5 lanes each way, and speed limits are 60 mph, I don't travel during rush hour, so I do get to travel for about 20 or 30 miles at around 70 mph. But I digress, is the width of the lanes a factor in fuel consumption? I doubt it. Also, it is true that if you go straight farther then 30 miles you'll end up in the water, but is that really an important factor? Does the car start consuming less and less fuel after you've traveled 30 or 40 miles? No matter what the technical definition might be for " highways" I still don't see how a first generation LS can pull those high mpg #s. <_<

My point was that we might travel for 250 to 300 miles at 75 MPH non stop. As soon as you get off of Hx you are in city driving, so you don't really get a chance to see true "Highway" mileage.

Vern