Beef I Have With My Is

Two things that really bother me about my IS.

The first item I noticed the second I sat in the car upon delivery outside. The mirrors. The mirror is all scratched horribly! And its extremely noticeable in any condition out. I drove my old car the other day, a 1987 buick Park Ave, and not a swirl in the mirror...why did Lexus skimp on this detail? its such a large mirror too! Is there any product that works against this?

Number two is the rubber seal along the bottom of the doors above the side skirt, for lack of a better term. This thing collects and contains a massive amount of dirt, not to mention salt for those of us who have to deal with it. Is this going to take a toll if not cleaned properly? How do you guys go about it? I'll clean my car and close the doors then its leaking dirty water all along the skirts. I, fortunately can clean my car in doors and let it dry all day, but I find it a big time consumer in my wash time, lifting it up and lightly spraying water in with the garden hose.

Anybody else notice these things?

Swirls or scratches on the mirrors is not common. This is the first I've heard of it. They should probably replace them.

The only place inside the door areas that I have to clean is the curved painted part where the door closes. I get a little bit of film there but nothing unusual. It's the part near the edges of the seats.

I use Lexol vinyl and rubber conditioner twice a year on all the rubber seals on the car including the door seals, trunk seals, and around the hood opening. That's mainly to just keep them from drying out.

Swirls or scratches on the mirrors is not common. This is the first I've heard of it. They should probably replace them.

The only place inside the door areas that I have to clean is the curved painted part where the door closes. I get a little bit of film there but nothing unusual. It's the part near the edges of the seats.

I use Lexol vinyl and rubber conditioner twice a year on all the rubber seals on the car including the door seals, trunk seals, and around the hood opening. That's mainly to just keep them from drying out.

I used some silicon spray on the rubber seals on occassion.

Two things that really bother me about my IS.

The first item I noticed the second I sat in the car upon delivery outside. The mirrors. The mirror is all scratched horribly! And its extremely noticeable in any condition out. I drove my old car the other day, a 1987 buick Park Ave, and not a swirl in the mirror...why did Lexus skimp on this detail? its such a large mirror too! Is there any product that works against this?

Number two is the rubber seal along the bottom of the doors above the side skirt, for lack of a better term. This thing collects and contains a massive amount of dirt, not to mention salt for those of us who have to deal with it. Is this going to take a toll if not cleaned properly? How do you guys go about it? I'll clean my car and close the doors then its leaking dirty water all along the skirts. I, fortunately can clean my car in doors and let it dry all day, but I find it a big time consumer in my wash time, lifting it up and lightly spraying water in with the garden hose.

Anybody else notice these things?

I find that dirt collects under those gaskets. The rocker panels are plastic though so rust shouldn't be a problem (hopefully).

I'm guessing the detail guy used a rag he dropped, then picked it up and cleaned your mirrors?

NO reason whatsoever for the swirls, although I've NEVER seen a dealer, Lexus or otherwise, that gets the car/glass really clean upon delivery. In fact the windows on every new car are always very dirty, especially inside.

Now the excessive brake dust...that's a problem that is one huge time suck!

I'm guessing the detail guy used a rag he dropped, then picked it up and cleaned your mirrors?

NO reason whatsoever for the swirls, although I've NEVER seen a dealer, Lexus or otherwise, that gets the car/glass really clean upon delivery. In fact the windows on every new car are always very dirty, especially inside.

Brake dust? They'll replace your front pads with ceramics if you complain to the dealer.

Brake dust? They'll replace your front pads with ceramics if you complain to the dealer.

From reviewing the archives, Ceramics appear to be the cure for excessive brake dust but are these OEM ceramic pads or aftermarket that you refer to?

What is the material used for the original Lexus pads? Semi-Metallic, Organic etc...

Ceramics have many benefits but do they have any draw-backs? I believe that they are tougher on rotors then other softer materials. Has anyone used ceramics in the Midwest and evaluated performance during wet/cold seasons?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any mileage limitations to this? I do have excessive dust in my opinion. I have ~15k on the car.

It would be nice to get a "free" brakejob.

The service consultant at my dealer said that I must bring in the ceramic pads myself if I want them put on. Where is your dealership at? Mine is in Wayzata, MN.

They're free at the dealer if you want em. I know one guy who's done it and he says the braking is just as good, and pedal feel is better, firmer. He does autocross so I reckon he knows how they perform.

The service consultant at my dealer said that I must bring in the ceramic pads myself if I want them put on. Where is your dealership at? Mine is in Wayzata, MN.

They're free at the dealer if you want em. I know one guy who's done it and he says the braking is just as good, and pedal feel is better, firmer. He does autocross so I reckon he knows how they perform.

Lexus supplies everything.

See the PDF attached

L_BR002_06.pdf

I dont mind the brake dust, provided I stay working for the dealer, I can wash it every saturday, or during the week I can use anyones bay, everyone knows me there.

so from what I'm hearing is that no ones mirror looks like this? This is clean btw and it was like this upon delivery:

DSCN9916.jpg

At night its incredibly noticeable when a car is behind me. IMO this is unacceptable, but maybe its just the design.

Is there any mileage limitations to this? I do have excessive dust in my opinion. I have ~15k on the car.

It would be nice to get a "free" brakejob.

Here in CALI, the dealers are no longer 'honoring' the TSB cause Toyota determined that replacing the pads did very little to cure squeaking or xcessive brake dust.

The squeal/squeak came back in less than 5K and the brake dust was reduced but not SIGNIFICANTLY.

Cost too much for too little.

Normally. the adjustment period is only 12K or 12 months

Lexus supplies everything.

See the PDF attached

It ONLY applies to 350's NOT 250's

Have not yet brought it to the dealer. Is this something that I should inquire about right a way? I mean it does *BLEEP* me off, but is not something mechanical that doesnt allow me to drive, and I dont want to be classified as a picky customer, being that I am only 22. Unless the suspense is killing everyone, then I'll take it in!

Picky? About a totally scratched up rearview mirror?

What you have there is UNSAFE! And you have a very nice car, with very scratched up rearview mirrors. At best you have a distorted image there. Would you sell the car with those?

I think you WANT to be classified as a picky customer. They get the best service. You deserve it man!

The suspense isn't killing me, seriously. I just like to see people get what they pay for, and be treated fairly.

Have not yet brought it to the dealer. Is this something that I should inquire about right a way? I mean it does *BLEEP* me off, but is not something mechanical that doesnt allow me to drive, and I dont want to be classified as a picky customer, being that I am only 22. Unless the suspense is killing everyone, then I'll take it in!

That's not being picky. You should take it in right away, or else they're going to accuse you of doing something. Have you even called to complain about it? You paid a good deal for this car, and it should be impeccable, in my opinion. That is simply unacceptable.

That's not being picky. You should take it in right away, or else they're going to accuse you of doing something. Have you even called to complain about it? You paid a good deal for this car, and it should be impeccable, in my opinion. That is simply unacceptable.

^ what she said. Are you listening? If you aren't married, this would be good practice.....(am I right married men out there?)

In any case...married or not...MAKE THEM MAKE IT RIGHT! ARE YOU KIDDING?

• 2 weeks later...

My mirrors look like that too. Its harder for me to notice in the daytime unless the sun is directly in it, but at night when a car's headlight is in it, I can really see the swirls in it. Are you guys saying the dealer will change the mirrors for free and not say it was my fault?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you owned a German car before?

Brake dust is the rule, not the exception. Soft pads that help you brake better and do not ruin the rotors.

I had two Boxsters before my Lexus and brake dust was there all the time.

No solution if you want to keep your braking power...

Check BMWs, MBs, Porsches, brake dust is commonplace.

• 2 weeks later...