Who Would Win The Race? Which Is Better?

MikeMiel

Hi, I'm 16 and I got a 1998 Lexus sc400 for Christmas! It is in perfect condition, no rips, power steering pump replaced, no tears in seats, everything works. I am a proud owner of it. My good friend who is also 16 got a 1995 BMW 540i. Many people think his car looks and out performs my Lexus. The BMW has the same engine size, 4.0 V8. We even got the same color too, Dark Green, but mine is Metallic with the reflection but his is not. I did research on his car it goes 0-60 in 7 seconds as well as mine but his burns more gas. But I have 260hp and the BMW has 286 and it's a manual 6 speed. What do you guys think? Who goes faster??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm 16 and I got a 1998 Lexus sc400 for Christmas! It is in perfect condition, no rips, power steering pump replaced, no tears in seats, everything works. I am a proud owner of it. My good friend who is also 16 got a 1995 BMW 540i. Many people think his car looks and out performs my Lexus. The BMW has the same engine size, 4.0 V8. We even got the same color too, Dark Green, but mine is Metallic with the reflection but his is not. I did research on his car it goes 0-60 in 7 seconds as well as mine but his burns more gas. But I have 260hp and the BMW has 286 and it's a manual 6 speed. What do you guys think? Who goes faster??

Why don't you guys lay it down and then you can tell us who wins.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

I have had a few BMW's in my day and I suspect the 540 would take you. Mind you it would not be a slaughter, but faster nonetheless.

Hey...look at it this way...for every half second faster he is that will cost him an extra $1,000 a year in repairs :o

I received a Corvette for my 17th X-mas. I totaled it within two months around a telephone pole. Go easy on the Lex for the next year. It is awfully fast for such a young driver.

Enjoy

Actually you have the edge. The 98-00 SC400's engine was modified with a new vvi-T system that makes it put out now 290-300 HP and 300 ft-lbs torque. Lexus timed the new engine and car at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. I've personally gotten mine at about 6.2-6.3 seconds. Autos.com rates it at 6 seconds flat.

http://www.autos.com/autos/car/luxury/2000/lexus/sc400/base

As for the E34 BMW 540i, it was rated at 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds in manual and 6.9 seconds in auto. If your friend has manual, he will have a slight edge, but in automatic BMW vs. Automatic Lexus, the SC400 is bound to win. I'm sure if the SC400 had ever been produced in manual, it would probably have gotten the 0-60 down to 5.5 seconds or less. Remember his car puts out slightly less HP and torque than yours, plus his car weighs much heavier and has a worse drag.

Whoever is telling you his BMW is better than yours has no sense of stlye whatsoever. In terms of sheer design, the 1st gen SC is better than a BMW anyday, even the new ones and especially your friend's old piece of junk. The SC was so pioneering when it came out. Your friend's BMW is nothing more than an unreliable German box of metal, in my opinion.

Actually you have the edge. The 98-00 SC400's engine was modified with a new vvi-T system that makes it put out now 290-300 HP and 300 ft-lbs torque. Lexus timed the new engine and car at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. I've personally gotten mine at about 6.2-6.3 seconds. Autos.com rates it at 6 seconds flat.

http://www.autos.com/autos/car/luxury/2000/lexus/sc400/base

As for the E34 BMW 540i, it was rated at 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds in manual and 6.9 seconds in auto. If your friend has manual, he will have a slight edge, but in automatic BMW vs. Automatic Lexus, the SC400 is bound to win. I'm sure if the SC400 had ever been produced in manual, it would probably have gotten the 0-60 down to 5.5 seconds or less. Remember his car puts out slightly less HP and torque than yours, plus his car weighs much heavier and has a worse drag.

Whoever is telling you his BMW is better than yours has no sense of stlye whatsoever. In terms of sheer design, the 1st gen SC is better than a BMW anyday, even the new ones and especially your friend's old piece of junk. The SC was so pioneering when it came out. Your friend's BMW is nothing more than an unreliable German box of metal, in my opinion.

Don't forget to remove your spare tire and anything else in the trunk, 1/4 tank of gas is all you need to lighten the car up a bit. And of course remove anything else that isn't bolted down.

A quick edit to make for my original post: it wasn't vvt-i that improved HP, but rather the new 5-speed system. vvt-i came out in 1996.

Don't forget to remove your spare tire and anything else in the trunk, 1/4 tank of gas is all you need to lighten the car up a bit. And of course remove anything else that isn't bolted down.

Yes, I've dropped alot of weight on my car too. I've removed spare tire and jack (75 lbs), I drive on half tank (60 lbs and less), and I've removed alot of unneccesary equipment like the CD-changer (10 lbs). I also have lightweight aluminum alloy wheels (45-50 lbs). In all, I've shaved almost 200 lbs off my car without doing stupid "gangsta" things like carbonfiber paneling, aftermarket exhaust, or removing the sunroof. Here is the breakdown of the curb weight of the 1st gen SC over the years:

SC300 5-speed Manual 92'-97' - 3505 lbs

SC300 4-speed Auto 92'-97' - 3575 lbs

SC300 4-speed Auto 98'-00' - 3590 lbs (revised, producing more torque)

SC400 4-speed Auto 92'-95' - 3590 lbs

SC400 4-speed Auto 96'-97' - 3655 lbs (got a vvt-i system)

SC400 5-speed Auto 98'-00' - 3690 lbs (got a higher power 5-speed)

By the curb weight, our 98' SC400 gets 1 HP per 12.72 lbs. With my weight reductions, I've improved my SC400 to 12.05 and got my SC to under 3500 lbs.

I would say the 1998 SC400 with the VVT-I motor would win out....I personally have beat out a couple of the new 745 BMW's and that car was not anything special...So I would think a 95 BMW would be nothing special either even for a stock newer SC400.....The M3, M5, and M6 BMW's would be a very different story....

The sc wins hands down if it was an e34 then it would be a different story, first the sc is auto and the bmw is not so inexperience with shifting will slow your friend down. If it in fact has taller gears (which would be odd for a 6 speed) then it would be slower but have a higher top speed. As long as you are straight the sc wins put one curve in and the bmw wins.

The 1st gen SC is a legend; BMW is a German piece of junk. It always will be. I don't care if they put a 10 liter V20 in that BMW, you're Lexus is still better.

I guess my car is a piece of junk. Maybe I should trade it for an old school SC. :lol:

Cmon now, everyone should own a BMW at one point in their life. The driving experience is a living legend itself. ;)

I am not so sure about that...

I owned a 325 BMW for a few years and that car ran like new with 200,000 miles on it...Did not burn oil, never broke down...Maybe is was just that BMW but I would say it was as reliable as my SC400, almost....

I think calling BMW's junk is extreme. I still have a '86 e28 with only 111k miles that runs strong and look great. I agree that everyone should own one. The 5 series is just a uniquely crisp handling sedan.

Further, I can find 0-60 times that put the cars near neck and neck. Time to throw down and run a strip :o

A 20 year old calling a BMW junk does not hold much weight with me. Personally i hate when new members come on here like they know everything a pretend they have anything to add but negativity. We are all adults here Brendon that means have a normal conversation with points of why it is good or bad. Making stupid remarks like it is garbage is about as much as i would say about a corolla in a signature that does 10 secs. It is meaningless in the grand scheme of things but i would drive even a 318 over a corolla any day.

Lexus is more reliable BMW and up until now has always been a better performer you need to give respect where respect is due and BMW did bring it to the stage.

okay back to the original subject...

yes the bmw is a manual with 6 years, but lets face it. The guy is 16 years old...thats 1-2 years of driving tops, and probably started with an auto. the chances of him taking out full advantage of the manual is very slim. id say you can beat him. its a matter of who has more guts, most races are.

p.s. we've all done some racing, but keep it safe! and always check for cops ;)

Yes, I agree with jzz30 and Rx330driver...just keep it safe and stick to the tracks. I have a daily driven monster but street racing is for losers...I'd rather flex my power safely, on the tracks.

If he is an experienced shifter, you'd lose...hands down. You wouldn't be able to "hang" with his 1st and 2nd gears.

Yes, I agree with jzz30 and Rx330driver...just keep it safe and stick to the tracks. I have a daily driven monster but street racing is for losers...I'd rather flex my power safely, on the tracks.

If he is an experienced shifter, you'd lose...hands down. You wouldn't be able to "hang" with his 1st and 2nd gears.

I guess I am a loser...

I have never raced on a track...Legal street racing on Friday nights in East LA is a good time and safe.....Just raced an LS1 Camaro with exhaust, and intake mods, turbo'd honda's, etc.. This is a safe quarter mile wide alley way, in the business district.... The Police actually allow it at 11:00PM on Friday nights...You get the Mustangs, Camaro's, Vette's, TT's, turbo'd 4 bangers, etc...

Recent results....Neck and Neck with the mod'd LS1 Camaro, and beat out every other car I raced... I also have many red light races in the past under relatively safe situations.... BMW M3 and M6's too...I got worked over by the new M6 just to show you some of these newer BMW's have some muscle......

A quick edit to make for my original post: it wasn't vvt-i that improved HP, but rather the new 5-speed system. vvt-i came out in 1996.

Yes, I've dropped alot of weight on my car too. I've removed spare tire and jack (75 lbs), I drive on half tank (60 lbs and less), and I've removed alot of unneccesary equipment like the CD-changer (10 lbs). I also have lightweight aluminum alloy wheels (45-50 lbs). In all, I've shaved almost 200 lbs off my car without doing stupid "gangsta" things like carbonfiber paneling, aftermarket exhaust, or removing the sunroof. Here is the breakdown of the curb weight of the 1st gen SC over the years:

SC300 5-speed Manual 92'-97' - 3505 lbs

SC300 4-speed Auto 92'-97' - 3575 lbs

SC300 4-speed Auto 98'-00' - 3590 lbs (revised, producing more torque)

SC400 4-speed Auto 92'-95' - 3590 lbs

SC400 4-speed Auto 96'-97' - 3655 lbs (got a vvt-i system)

SC400 5-speed Auto 98'-00' - 3690 lbs (got a higher power 5-speed)

By the curb weight, our 98' SC400 gets 1 HP per 12.72 lbs. With my weight reductions, I've improved my SC400 to 12.05 and got my SC to under 3500 lbs.

Curious, what did you remove or change out to reduce 200lbs off the stock weight of your SC?

Why don't you go ask grandpa SKperformance, he seems to have all the answers. After all, he invented the car. I'm just a stupid kid who drives a Corolla normally because I like to help the environment.

P.S. - Don't worry old man, I removed my signature just for you, so you don't need to have a 2nd heart attack

You are correct in regards to 1rst and maybe 2nd gear because of the SC400's stock torque converter but if the SC owner brake torques at launch I still think the SC will take the BMW especially at topend and in the back half of the race....

92Lex - 512whp is alot of horsepower, how do you keep those rears gripping in 1rst, 2nd and 3rd gears?

PS..Brendon, Lay off SKperformance as he has simply expressed his opionion about asking new younger members to make factual and some what intellegent remarks to their posts.... One must think before posting with some factual information to back those comments or one should not post...