Who Would Win The Race? Which Is Better?

MikeMiel

Hi, I'm 16 and I got a 1998 Lexus sc400 for Christmas! It is in perfect condition, no rips, power steering pump replaced, no tears in seats, everything works. I am a proud owner of it. My good friend who is also 16 got a 1995 BMW 540i. Many people think his car looks and out performs my Lexus. The BMW has the same engine size, 4.0 V8. We even got the same color too, Dark Green, but mine is Metallic with the reflection but his is not. I did research on his car it goes 0-60 in 7 seconds as well as mine but his burns more gas. But I have 260hp and the BMW has 286 and it's a manual 6 speed. What do you guys think? Who goes faster??

'MikeMiel', Who cares which car is faster, just be glad you own\drive an Sc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you go ask grandpa SKperformance, he seems to have all the answers. After all, he invented the car. I'm just a stupid kid who drives a Corolla normally because I like to help the environment.

P.S. - Don't worry old man, I removed my signature just for you, so you don't need to have a 2nd heart attack

cough...*cat sounds*, lol

you dont have to like each other, just dont make insults ;)

Yes, I agree with jzz30 and Rx330driver...just keep it safe and stick to the tracks. I have a daily driven monster but street racing is for losers...I'd rather flex my power safely, on the tracks.

If he is an experienced shifter, you'd lose...hands down. You wouldn't be able to "hang" with his 1st and 2nd gears.

You are correct in regards to 1rst and maybe 2nd gear because of the SC400's stock torque converter but if the SC owner brake torques at launch I still think the SC will take the BMW especially at topend and in the back half of the race....

92Lex - 512whp is alot of horsepower, how do you keep those rears gripping in 1rst, 2nd and 3rd gears?

The HP loss with an automatic tranny is about 20-25% and 15-17% for manual transmissions. So even though the two cars have nearly identical HP numbers, the bimmer is still laying down more to the wheels.

JIBBY,

I wasn't directly attacking you in any way. I just believe that street racing is a dangerous thing and that racing should be kept on the tracks. I used to attend Friday night street races all the time and have seen how some people make it dangerous (lack of skills). Plus, there are tons of people there but no guard rail.

How do I keep the rubber from spinning? I just feather the gas, most of the time. Having 285's on 10" rims also helps.

92SC - Don't worry about it I was not offended...Yes, street racing can be dangerous for those with big power and limited driving skills...I just don't have a track down the block from me or else I would play it safer more often...Nearest racing spot is where I go every now and then....No deaths or accidents that I am aware of..

jibby, do you go to willow springs? we dont have a track near SF at all! time to put some pavement in golden gate park.

p.s. isnt nos illegal? or what are the laws about it?

Never been to willow springs....Heard of it though.... Tracks usually have monster cars with drag slicks, I am not eager to get to the tracks and get spanked...However, I would like to record a 1/4 mile time one of these days....

Nos, Legal or Illegal?...Illegal but not inforced. I've had police look it over, been is smog stations where the smog officials over looked it.... I went to an certified Auto correction ticket center for an exhaust noise fix it ticket...The city inspector said the nos system is not legal, but did nothing about it....It is more of an emissions infraction rather then illegal criminal infraction.....That is best as I can describe it...I could get ticketed for removal, just like most other after market turbo setups...... I still passed smog check two years ago with the Nitrous system intact..

Nitrous systems are very hard on the engine internals, drivetrains and transmissions...Nitrous when once activated jolts all moving parts in an instance into power...Unlike the gradual accelleration such as N/A motors, supercharging and turbo's....Most people don't know this fact....There is no gradual acceleration with Nitrous, it hits and it hits hard.....

However, the Lexus Xuz-fe V8 motors are really about the best motor out their that can with stand the abuse of constant Nitrous shots....As witnessed in my SC400 since I have been running Nitrous constantly for almost 4 years now...My 1uz-fe SC400 engine still purs and does not use oil to date with 110,000 miles on it....

However, with the huge torque that is produced with the use of a 100-150hp Nitrous system my stock transmission and driveshaft joints took a dump after about two years of constant use..Oh, and when I first installed the Nos system my lug bolts snapped off (all five) and sent my driver side rear wheel flying when I once tried adding 500lbs worth of sand bags into my trunk.. That was a idiotic attempt to get my rear tires gripping to the road at launch while running on the juice.

What NOS did to my SC400 to date- I had to rebuild my driveshaft because of the play that the Nos shots created in the joints, and I also had to built up my stock tranny to hold more ponies after giving up the ghost in 1rst gear 4 months ago......The lug nuts and bolts breaking off was my doing.....

What I am getting at is I would not recommend the use of Nitrous on any smaller sized motors as it eats them up quickly...Especially the 4 banger motors and drivetrains...... I would think the Lexus/Toyota straight 6 cylinder motors could handle smaller nos shots with no problems but I would not load up on them....Lexus V8's are your best bet for handling nos shots from my years of experience...Other Nos station experts have said the same to me....

I guess a little praise is in order to the stout construction of the SC/LS400 1uz-fe motor....A real tank of motor...

• 1 month later...

Don't you guys think that the power button would make a difference? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that button make the transmission shift to the maximum rpm's and give a boost of power? So it's almost like having an "automatic manual" where it shifts like you want a manual to do. Thank You all for your responses

The ECT (power button) kicks the shift downs quicker and carries a slightly higher rpm band before shifting..Good for responsiveness but does not make the car any faster...

But won't the acceleration be a lot quicker?

The 1st gen SC is a legend; BMW is a German piece of junk. It always will be. I don't care if they put a 10 liter V20 in that BMW, you're Lexus is still better.

I guess my car is a piece of junk. Maybe I should trade it for an old school SC. :lol:

Cmon now, everyone should own a BMW at one point in their life. The driving experience is a living legend itself. ;)

Hey, I'll trade you, anyday, I'll even throw in a 6 pack of those lil tree air freshners and some winshield washer fluid. Heck I'll give you the winshield washer fluid if you just let me borrow you car for a few hours.

The ECT (power button) kicks the shift downs quicker and carries a slightly higher rpm band before shifting..Good for responsiveness but does not make the car any faster...

But won't the acceleration be a lot quicker?

The acceleration is not quicker from launch, but if your running on the freeway and hammer the gas then yes the transmission will respond just a bit quicker... l

Whoever is telling you his BMW is better than yours has no sense of stlye whatsoever. In terms of sheer design, the 1st gen SC is better than a BMW anyday, even the new ones and especially your friend's old piece of junk. The SC was so pioneering when it came out. Your friend's BMW is nothing more than an unreliable German box of metal, in my opinion.

Don't forget to remove your spare tire and anything else in the trunk, 1/4 tank of gas is all you need to lighten the car up a bit. And of course remove anything else that isn't bolted down.

I agree completely. Personally I'd take a customized SC over any german car anyday. If I had a million bucks and could only have one car, It'd probably be the SC300 5 spd, (with about 40k dropped in it). How rare the car is would be one of my favorate things about it, everywhere I look I see a damn BMW or Benz and they all look the same.

The SC can really turn some heads, no one knows anything about it, or what I got. I'm on 18" black rims w/polished lip deepdish in the rear and 9" wide. I've got aftermarket intake, exhaust, and I can safely say Im the only moded SC you'll ever see in my area, and I kind of like that. (acually Im 20 and Im prob the only one under the age of 50 with this car in my area but its cool).

If you havnt already, check out intellexual.net and read up on the heritage, and all the awards it won and what not.

If I had a million bucks and could buy one car I would buy a new Z06 Chevy Corvette for speed, then custom twin turbo it...Maybe even a Z07 Vette (then install all the basic mods) that is if I could find one for a reasonable price. I wouldn't want to spend more then $100,000 because I am a cheap *BLEEP*...It would be hard pressed to find any street sportscar that would beat those out.... :)

You couldn't modify a Lexus or BMW to hang with those Vette's.....Maybe an M Model BMW with some serious mods but I still dought it, and definetely not a lexus..Too heavy and the rear ends are way to light in weight...

Love the SC Lexus's and for sure it would be the most reliable out of all the cars I mentioned above..

There are two 950+ whp BMW's in the states. What kind of numbers are Z06's laying down?

One can build a toyota inline 6 to produce 1000 hp. It has been done and it will beat the vette.

Those cars you guys mention may have the horsepower to match up with a custom built twin Z06 Corvette or Z07, but I dought they posses the traction and drivetrain setup to keep up.... Heck, there are many Supra's sporting 700-900 horsepower and still run just 12's in the quarter mile... Horsepower alone does not tell the whole story... A built Z07/Z06 is vertually unbeatable against all other street legal beasts, I kid you not...

I have seen a standard twin turbo Vette run in the high 9's... There center of gravity is very low and the traction is outstanding...

A bone stock Z06 ran the quarter mile in 10.85 @ 129mph with drag radials... That's completely stock with tires...Twin turbo that baby and your in the 9's.... It's still would be street legal...Check out any Vette Forum if you don't believe me... The Z07 Vette at stock is even faster then the 10.85 quarter mile time of the Z06......

I am not a huge fan of the Vette's but when I read and saw the Z07 at car show I became a believer...

These are a few pic's I took personally of the new bone stock 7.4 liter 650hp Z07 Vette at a resent car show... It was the fastest car 0-60 at the show...0-60mph in a little over 2 seconds if I remember correctly.. 1rst gear goes up to like 70mph and you don't even need to shift...No other car came close, Vipers, Merc AMG's, Ferrari, Porsche (GT4 came close), M model Bmw's, GT500 Fords, etc....

post-13978-1173539855_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1173539873_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1173539919_thumb.jpg