Oil Filters.....whaddya Have On Yours

tmastres

Ok I didnt want ot hijack anoher thread to discuss this so I'll just start a new one here.

Many people on this list DIY and the oil change is about as basic as it gets. I'm curious about which oil filters

are used/recommended by anyone out there. In the past I've used Fram and Purolator for my cars about 95% of the time. After doing a little research I've determined that the overwhelming opinion is that Frams are terrrible filters but that Purolaters are pretty decent. Anybody else have any ideas or opinions. What do you use on your RX

Here are a couple links to seemingly rational sites on the subject

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Ok I didnt want ot hijack anoher thread to discuss this so I'll just start a new one here.

Many people on this list DIY and the oil change is about as basic as it gets. I'm curious about which oil filters

are used/recommended by anyone out there. In the past I've used Fram and Purolator for my cars about 95% of the time. After doing a little research I've determined that the overwhelming opinion is that Frams are terrrible filters but that Purolaters are pretty decent. Anybody else have any ideas or opinions. What do you use on your RX

i'm using a napa gold filter. i went for the best lower cost filter as opposed to the cost is no expense option....

i try to get all my oil-related info from here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

i used to use lucas until i found that site... now i stay far away :o

I tend to stick with Purolator Premium and NAPA Silver. I've used both for many years across multiple vehicles and I find them to be a good value. If you're changing your oil filter every 5,000 miles or so, you don't have to spend a fortune to acquire a high-end one.

How do you beat a value of $15 for 3 OEM Toyota filters?

I just don't see why anyone would be cheap on a filter as it is an integral piece of the motor. It just does not make any sense to buy a nice car and use a part that saves $1?????????????

Because some of the premium filters from decent providers (such as Purolator or NAPA as previously mentioned) are comparable to the OEM filters from Toyota, or at least close enough to where there's no significant difference over 5,000 miles. Not everyone wants to drive 10 or 20 or 50 miles to the nearest Toyota dealership when a suitable auto parts store may be only 2 or 3 miles away.

Where i am i have atleast 7 Lexus dealers within 30 miles so i have never factored in the driving issue which does make some sense.

If driving is an issue though why not order them on line buying them in bulk? That way they are always ready for an oil change.

I have yet to see an aftermarket filter with a good crimped rolled edges not adhesive as well as proper ball spring anti flow back valve. OEM is the way to go for the price alone.Getting the filter to work comparable is easy the problem is when the low quality filter papers breakdown or loose there adhesion because of a glue instead of a mechanical crimp holding them together. Poor flow back valves cause more dry start instances which is where most engine where occurs.

Hi:

I am using the OEM filter, and after I use the other new one in existance I will use Purolator Premium Plus. I have also used K & N on this Lex, but I find the K & N is not as good for the application as the OEM or Purolator. Second, the first oil filter used on a car was made from Purolator and was called a Purolator. That fact and some reading I have done indicates that the above mentioned brand is as good as the Thailand made OEM Toyota filter now being sold as OEM replacement part for the LS 400. I have read you can still buy the original OEM in the Toyota TRD brand but they cost about 19.75. I replace them every 5000 as per specifications.

C. PR

HI:

Unless you are buying the TRD Toyota Oil Filter that fits the Lexus, you are not really using the real or original OEM oil filter, the Thailand made OEM is a "cheaper" filter. This means the Toyota/Lexus engineers are not that concerned with problems deriving from oil filtration, since they used a cheaper filter. Purolator meets the specification being even less expense.

Second even as I am not yet able to buy a new LS, (I am able to afford a brand new ES 350 at the moment), I am doing very well in the money department. But I find that if you can get the same quality for less and not risking the motor, there is not a problem. It is like the old myth of changing the oil at 3,000 miles, the master mechanics and engineers will tell us that this was overkill, (check cartalk), even our Lexus manual, Ford manuals did not specify in most instances a 3000 mile oil change. I had a supra that called for oil filter change every 10,000 miles, or 7,500 miles if used in a more aggressive manner, that was an 87 car. The only problems I have seen related to oil is when people just do not change the oil at all, but anyone that follows the prescribed maintenance should be ok with a quality non-OEM filter, specially if you are using synthetic oil, since it does not create as much residue as the regular oil. This is my case. I am not against using OEM filters if so desired! I usually when I find them at a good price do buy them. The price for the OEM, Thailand made filter from the dealer is $5.05, including tax, it is just more convenient as I am not sacrificing quality to buy the Purolators which cost less and the store is like a 10 minute drive from my house that the Lexus dealer that is a 45 minute drive plus a toll which makes the filter cost double it's price factoring all the logistics involved.

C. PR

Ford is also one of the first car makes doesn't mean it is the best because they are still around.

If we are using the OEM filter as the benchmark why not order them online for a discounted price and be done with it?

[

i'm using a napa gold filter. i went for the best lower cost filter as opposed to the cost is no expense option....

i try to get all my oil-related info from here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

i used to use lucas until i found that site... now i stay far away :o

I agree. For the short drains most are doing Wix (napa – Gold) Pure one, etc will be just fine. Just look at the beta ratios of these filters and compare. Plus I get napa's gold for about $2.50 each.

For longer drains I would use a better oil filter then anyone has named here. The material in these filters will not hold up too well.

Then again you can should me links like in the original post but really mean nothing but ref only. You need to do oil testing to verify what fits your application.

Right now I have Napa gold and doing an Auto-RX cleaning phase based on Dyson Analysis.

If we are using the OEM filter as the benchmark why not order them online for a discounted price and be done with it?

Sounds good since I can't always get the filter I want where I get the oil anyhow , this would save some extra trips. Which filter and where do you get them online??

Sounds good since I can't always get the filter I want where I get the oil anyhow , this would save some extra trips. Which filter and where do you get them online??

OEM, Always have always will................ ;)

Only Toyota filters for my car. I found them on sale at a Toyota dealer the other day for $4 a piece (I typically pay $5); yep, I stocked up! :D I'm sure you could get by fine with an AutoZone filter, but I guess I just like the piece of mind that I get with an OEM filter on the car!

Not stirring the pot but what do people think OEM filters will buy?

Again, I feel unless you are seeing the data from oil analysis you are "hoping here"........ Not causing a debate since $4 SHIPPED for an OEM is a good deal but I do not know what the $4 filter does that a $2 one does not; on normal drain (below 7,500 miles).

I don't think you are stirring the pot , it is a legitimate question which deserves a good answer . Most of us are all here because we want to know more not be cause we know more than everyone else.

The easiest of comparisons would be a low quality drain back valve.

Filter media is a minimal difference when it gets down small enough to notice .

As well as odd manufacturing such as purolators use of a thread to old the filter media together while the adhesive sets upon insertion. It has happened to cut right through the filter leaving a small area useless as it bypasses the filter.

That warm tingly feeling...
I guess I just like the piece of mind that I get with an OEM filter on the car!

My LS has 285,000 miles. My car has had Toyota filters from day one, and I'm not about to think about switching now because it has obviously worked well for the past 11 years. I used K&N filters a few times, but they just aren't priced right. I made a point of looking at other non oem brands of oil filters for my car when I was at the store the other day, and they were all $3-$4, so their isn't much of a savings factor in my situation.

I'm using these Amsoil oil filters....

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

:cheers:

as much as I hate their price they are the best oil filters out there.

Gonna do a test with the wix soon, they install a OEM and test. I will post them when done.

That warm tingly feeling..

I like JD or Chopin for that! LOL

I guess I just like the piece of mind that I get with an OEM filter on the car!

My LS has 285,000 miles. My car has had Toyota filters from day one, and I'm not about to think about switching now because it has obviously worked well for the past 11 years. I used K&N filters a few times, but they just aren't priced right. I made a point of looking at other non oem brands of oil filters for my car when I was at the store the other day, and they were all $3-$4, so their isn't much of a savings factor in my situation.

I agree if you are doing low drains OEM shipped for $4 is a good price. I would personally take a KN filter over OEM but that is me. Or better yet compare ADM spec on the filters (aka batio ratios) or see how good they are with testing. Any oil filter will work to some extent; even fram will. I had some low wear numbers using Fram on my bike. I went to wix since it was 50% less.

There was someone that opened up several oil filters and opened them up to look at the internals of each filter and also had tests conducted. I am pretty sure that the Denso oem toyota/lexus fiter performed higher than most of the filters compared. I remember I was using fram filters and soon after I read through all the data I switched back to oem filters.

There was someone that opened up several oil filters and opened them up to look at the internals of each filter and also had tests conducted. I am pretty sure that the Denso oem toyota/lexus fiter performed higher than most of the filters compared. I remember I was using fram filters and soon after I read through all the data I switched back to oem filters.

I had a few of the websites (some below). Really it does not matter how they are made, for the most part.You need a few inportant parts and the rest is a bonus. In some applicaitons not needed. You need to compare filtering capability and efficiency for at least to get in the ball park. They to REALLY COMPARE you need to spend the $15 to $20 to test the oil. That is the only way to know for sure you are correct or not.

Remember you need to take these studies with a grain of salt. Everyone knocks Fram; my last oil test on my bike was low, lower then my car and my bike gets driven very hard and redline is 12K rpms. Again you need to try and test what works for your application.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...ic;f=6;t=000513

http://www.sadik.net/nissan/howto/oil_filter_study.html

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...tudy-mopar.html

http://www.realbig.com/miata/1996-01/1504.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For my wife's 2000 RX300, I had been using Fram but after reading other responses to this post, I am going to start using Toyota filter OEM part no. 90915-YZZG1 that I can get from a nearby Toyota dealer. It is the filter presently recommended for the V6 version of the Toyota Highlander..AND..was [i understand] used for RX300's in the past. Can anyone confirm or deny that it was the recommended filter for the RX300 in past years?

However, the Lexus dealers I called are now using/recommending Toyota OEM filter part no. 90915-YZZD1 . I asked one part guy if they formerly used 90915-YZZG1. He said, "Yeah, but this is an upgraded filter".

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the G1 and the D1 ? Is the D1 actually a better filter...OR...is it REALLY the same filter with the designation D1 when sent to a Lexus dealership? Or maybe

the same filter renamed the D1 when the RX330's came out?

The G1 is about 5 to 6 dollars...but the D1 from a Lexus dealer is 9 to 12 dollars.

To save money I use an empty soda can and a coffee filter with a rubber band... or...

I've used either the fram TG3614 or the toyota oem ones, I bought both in bulk since I have two cars that use the same filter. I think it worked out to about $3 a peice with shipping included.

old school thread! :)

For less then $3 filter

If I had to either buy Toyota oil filter or a Supertech oil filter ($2.44) I would take a Supertech. cheaper and same internals etc.

For above $9 I would take a K&N or even better is Amsoil new EAO filter. Unless you have a need (uoa) or longer drains, you do not need it.