Time For Tires, Any Suggestions?

Looking for tires, comfort is the priority. I have winter tires so all season tires isn't as important. Have a wife with dizziness so the better the ride, the better off we both are. LOL Thanks. I have looked at tirerack.com, but wanted your actual "ride" experience with your tires. Anyone do sizing changes? Anyone recommend that?

Have you looked into touring tires? These are pretty good for driving around. I got $60 off a set of 4 of Michelin tires from Costco and they work pretty well... there is also a lengthy debate about nitrogen being used in your tires and Costco does it for free, but I don't really notice much. We got te Michelin Pilot Primacy 205/65R15 set of tires and it's pretty smooth

This has been covered um-teen times, so please search this forum as well as the tire forum--there is so much info. In short, Michelin MXV4+, Bridgestone Tauranza LSV, and Dunlop Sport SP 5000/6000 are three winners and are the most popular amongst LS owners.

Looking for tires, comfort is the priority. I have winter tires so all season tires isn't as important. Have a wife with dizziness so the better the ride, the better off we both are. LOL Thanks. I have looked at tirerack.com, but wanted your actual "ride" experience with your tires. Anyone do sizing changes? Anyone recommend that?

I have found the Bridgestone Turanza summer ONLY series to be the absolute BEST for comfort and quietness.

Michelin MXV4+, Bridgestone Tauranza LSV,

Go with the Michelin's I had the Bridgestones they were loud and hard after 30,000

I just put on my 2nd set of TOYO Proxes TPT. The first set gave me about 55,000 miles. They would have lasted few thousands more but I went for a change. Over the past 3 yrs I have been quite happy with TOYOs. To be honest I did not try any other brand: even my winters are TOYO.

I had Pirelli P600 on mine at first, but I rode them until the tread came off, they only lasted me about 30,000 miles. They also had an uneven wear. I now have Good Year Eagles on the front and Good Year Snow Tires on the Back. I can't say the ride is any better, but the tires are wearing evenly now.

Michelin MXV4+, Bridgestone Tauranza LSV,

Go with the Michelin's I had the Bridgestones they were loud and hard after 30,000

I just put on my 2nd set of TOYO Proxes TPT. The first set gave me about 55,000 miles. They would have lasted few thousands more but I went for a change. Over the past 3 yrs I have been quite happy with TOYOs. To be honest I did not try any other brand: even my winters are TOYO.

My Toyo TPTs were so loud at 30k I had to trash them with 50% tread remaining. Not a fan...

My Toyo TPTs were so loud at 30k I had to trash them with 50% tread remaining. Not a fan...

I am not a fan of Toyo either. My 18" Toyo FZ4s sounded like a 18 wheeler by 25k miles.

Stick with Michelin, Goodyear or Bridgestone (Turanza LS-V or H only).

steviej

I think I endured 35K on the Toyo Proxes TPTs and replaced them with Michelin MXV4s. It was like steviej and SW said - driving down the road sounded like an 18 wheeler and braking was even louder. They wore funny on the edges and I think that's what caused the noise. I had the alignment checked and the car had extremely low mileage, so I don't think it was a vehicle issue. They also were rougher on sharp impacts like road joints. I had some annoying rattles, even at 28 PSI. The rattles disappeared with the Michelins at 32 PSI.

I have a theory that I heard from the Mercedes groups. I don't think the LS likes "square sholdered" tires like the Proxes. If you notice when your wheels are fully turned, on some cars the inside wheel leans over/out more than other cars. I've noticed that the LS does this. Round shouldered tires like the Michelin work better with suspensions like ours. I think the Toyos had a hard time transitioning from straight ahead driving to cornering. I had a noticeable improvement in cornering with the MXV4s, believe it or not. I've put about 15K on mine and they're still quiet. Just my $.02.

I think I endured 35K on the Toyo Proxes TPTs and replaced them with Michelin MXV4s. It was like steviej and SW said - driving down the road sounded like an 18 wheeler and braking was even louder. They wore funny on the edges and I think that's what caused the noise. I had the alignment checked and the car had extremely low mileage, so I don't think it was a vehicle issue. They also were rougher on sharp impacts like road joints. I had some annoying rattles, even at 28 PSI. The rattles disappeared with the Michelins at 32 PSI.

I have a theory that I heard from the Mercedes groups. I don't think the LS likes "square sholdered" tires like the Proxes. If you notice when your wheels are fully turned, on some cars the inside wheel leans over/out more than other cars. I've noticed that the LS does this. Round shouldered tires like the Michelin work better with suspensions like ours. I think the Toyos had a hard time transitioning from straight ahead driving to cornering. I had a noticeable improvement in cornering with the MXV4s, believe it or not. I've put about 15K on mine and they're still quiet. Just my $.02.

Your .02 cents sounds good to me.

I bought Yokohama YK520's from Discount Tire. Got 'bout 6000 miles on them so far and they have been great. They handle great at high speeds, grab in corners, and perform great in the rain.

This particular tire can only be bought at Discount Tires.

• 8 months later...
I bought Yokohama YK520's from Discount Tire. Got 'bout 6000 miles on them so far and they have been great. They handle great at high speeds, grab in corners, and perform great in the rain.

This particular tire can only be bought at Discount Tires.

cmshoot, what was the noise level like on the yk520's?