Bill Gates' 1990 Ls400?

LexKid630

O.K., let's get this straight. The listing is 8 days old, starting bid is $40k, zero bids, 100,000 + miles, average - at best - in appearance, AND 16 year old auto. I wonder..............

No way !! :blink:

who would spend 40k for a 16 year old car?? I don't care who owned it before me...

I think it's a joke.

I saw that car on Ebay a couple weeks ago when it either ended or was ended at a price well under $10,000. The alleged fact that Bill Gates owned the car does nothing for me either!

Personally, I think red is a little too much for a LS. :whistles:

I don't mind the Burgundy color so much, but $40K is ridiculous. Sly Stallone's white Mercedes S400 from the early 90's came up about 6 months go and it went for @ $10-$12K.

I don't mind the Burgundy color so much, but $40K is ridiculous. Sly Stallone's white Mercedes S400 from the early 90's came up about 6 months go and it went for @ $10-$12K.

I agree, When it comes to buying a piece of machinery that was previously owned by someone famous doesn't add value, After all it still is a used 16 year old car no matter what. Now if there were $35K in microsoft stock in the trunk that would be a different story. :lol:

I actually remember watching Bill Gates drive his 1990 LS400 while being interviewed by CBS 60 Minutes - probably just before I bought my first LS.

If I hadn't bought that early LS, I probably wouldn't remember the Jay Leno Tonight Show Lexus jokes about exploding LS400 high mounted brake lights or Kevin Kline's character being rescued by Danny Glover's character in the early 90's movie Grand Canyon when Kline's new LS400's engine died because of - yikes! - an intermittent electrical problem. (Maybe that was caused by a leaking alternator. LOL)

The early LS400 was an easy target for jokes - there was no end to the "grief" I got from friends and family for buying one.

No, Bill Gates' LS400 is probably not worth more than any other 1990 LS in similar condition. Instead, buy that Microsoft stock - it is not screaming upward at the rate it did in the 80's and 90's but it now pays dividends, has split 2 for 1 as recently as 2003 and has remained a solid investment: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

Agreed. The first auction ended at $8,000 with the reserve not met. The Seller should have grabbed that 8k and ran! Not worth more than $4,000 in my opinion. Bad seats, LCD out, what else is wrong? $40,000 - what a joke! Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode with George buying "Jon Voight's" car? :)

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode with George buying "Jon Voight's" car? :)

LOL That was a great episode! He should have gone with the Volvo like he originally planned!

TIM: Are you the one who bought his LeBaron convertible?

GEORGE : Yes! Yes, I'm the one! Hey! So, you know Jon Voight!

TIM: Yes! Yes, I went to dental school with him.

GEORGE: Jon Voight, the actor?

TIM: No. The periodontist.

:lol: