1990 Ls400 $4900 Vs 1993 Ls400 $5900

arsvivendi

:cries: Hi

I'm currently looking for Used LS400. so far I have two LS400 found. 1990 LS400 Burgundy finished/Tan leather, under 85000 miles, original timing belt/water pump. asking $4900 and 1993 LS400 Silver finished/Tan leather, 153000 miles, replaced timing belt/water pump @125000 miles+tune up just finished. asking $5900. Both close A to A- shape. Which one you prefered? why? Thanks for your support.

:cries: Hi

I'm currently looking for Used LS400. so far I have two LS400 found. 1990 LS400 Burgundy finished/Tan leather, under 85000 miles, original timing belt/water pump. asking $4900 and  1993 LS400 Silver finished/Tan leather, 153000 miles, replaced timing belt/water pump @125000 miles+tune up just finished. asking $5900. Both close A to A- shape. Which one you prefered? why? Thanks for your support.

Does either car have the air suspension ? I would take the 90 and have the work done to the car to bring it up to par, Timing belt , Tune up etc... Basicly the same car but I like the less miles and the color of course. ;)

Are you mechanically inclined? If not, the '93 sounds better to me. The difference in miles is insignificant for two cars that are 12 years and older. It's all about the maintenance and how it drives. Cars that sit around and are not driven or maintained can be just as much a headache as a higher miles car. What kind of cosmetic condition are they in? I am wondering on the 93 though why was the timing belt done now and not at 90k. Drive both cars carefully ang get a feel for the differences. Have Lexus perform a 150pt. inspection on the one you think you'll buy. Costs about $100 and worth it's weight in gold.

The '93 is the more desireable year and color of the two you were looking at, I believe about 50 improvements were made to the car, the most significant being the larger brakes and tires. Although I think the '90's were very well built too. Have you checked the Carfax history for both? Also, call the Dealer with the VIN's and run a service history. Also, READ, READ, READ. The forum has pinned threads at the top helping you compare models and telling you how to buy your LS. This is a good place to start. Good luck! :cheers:

I BOUGHT A LEXUS 1990 WITH 200K+ MILES. a little maintence needed though but it runs better everyday! my suggestion? get both! the 1990 was built directly in japan(more than likely, check for sticker on rear window) so you can be assured that the quality is top notch. just read in the post about others with 90's who have lexus dealerships drooling over them! but the 93 is also a good buy. it will have dual 8-way seats(90 only has drivers side) and it is faster due to the larger wheels. honestly, if i had done my research b4 buying mine i probably wouldn't have because a lot of obvious problems that i missed because i was not edu. but it still runs like a champ!

IF IN DOUBT.....GET BOTH!

good luck with the big dicision :cheers:

Both vehicles have no Air suspension system. Called to Lexus dealer with both VIN#. Service manager said "Unless I have proof of ownership like Title or bill of sale etc, Can't provide me past service history".:chairshot:

Damn those stealers. Did you run a carfax? I still like the 90 It was probably driven back and forth to church. I don't think the car sat for a long enough time to have a neg. effect. Only a thought. ;)

True dc, the '90 may be a gem too. They both sound very promising. Damn those Dealers. They are starting to withhold service history more often I am finding.

If you are somewhat handy at all and your goal is the best LS for the lowest price then grab the '90 at a low price and do the timing belt, otherwise I still lean towards the '93. Have you driven both yet or inspected them carefully for things like power steering pump/rack/lines leaking and suspension wear? Can you get the service records from the seller?

Actually dc, after re-reading, this is my fear about the old low mileage LS's. If they were driven only short distances, the engine hardly reaches operating temperature plus I can't imagine how many cold starts that engine has seen.

Not that they are in bad shape at all, the car was probably maintained well, but the engine wear could be equal to one that was driven twice a week for a long highway spin and has 150k miles.

I think there is a separate thread on this comparison somewhere.

Actually dc, after re-reading, this is my fear about the old low mileage LS's. If they were driven only short distances, the engine hardly reaches operating temperature plus I can't imagine how many cold starts that engine has seen.

Not that they are in bad shape at all, the car was probably maintained well, but the engine wear could be equal to one that was driven twice a week for a long highway spin and has 150k miles.

I think there is a separate thread on this comparison somewhere.

I have read a similar thread on this in the recent past and it goes back and forth on the topic. So if you don't know how the car was driven and maintained it is all heresay. But I still like the 90 maybe for aesthetics ??? I would like to see either one in my driveway :cheers:

I could be wrong here, but I think the braking system is different in the 93' v. the 90'. I think I read somewhere that the 93 has twin piston brakes.

the 1990 was built directly in japan(more than likely, check for sticker on rear window) so you can be assured that the quality is top notch.

Every LS from 1990 to 2006 has been built directly in Japan, at the same plant. Every Lexus is built in Japan save some RX330s that are built in Canada.

The 1993 is the most reliable reported year of the LS ever, and you have numerous upgrades like larger wheels and larger front brakes, passenger airbag etc.,

Get the 93.

i would go with the 93 for the upgrades and by the time you finish paying for the tb & water pump it will all even out anyway.the miles dont really make a diff. since they are bothbuilt to last if they were properly maintained

I dont care what anyone says 80k miles is 80k miles.

Check carfax and get an idea of who owned and how many miles they drove per year. Also look for leased, corporate and multiple owners.

Second get VIN's and get ahold of LEXUS service at any dealership and ask to run them. They will let you know when and how much maintenance was done.

Did you look at the generation web page that will give you an idea of the differences. The 93/94 is better since there is some new things including larger tires and brakes.

I love the discount in taxes you get with either.

Personally I would go with the lower miles all being equal (not sure about the Burgundy color). You save 1000 bucks off the top. I hear the engines are indifferential on both so if it breaks you would just be stuck untill AAA saves your butt.

As for the repairs on the 93 if they were all over them the belt would have been done at 90k.

seriously,

if i had the chance to get a 93 i would. not bad price either. most in my area sell for 7-8k easy. and the fact that you can skip the hassle of a new timing belt and wp is a nice bonus! you should also get a split climate control screen which is less prone to black out. and also outside temp meter. plus all the additional things mentioned here(brakes wheels, etc). $1000 is not much for all the extra stuff.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_< it's on you

Well if you were a mechanic you'd be okay saying that, but you aren't. There are professionals in the world that know more about certain things than you do.

Ask any mechanic and they will tell you cars can be driven too little.

*** Check carfax and get an idea of who owned and how many miles they drove per year. Also look for leased, corporate and multiple owners.

*** Second get VIN's and get ahold of LEXUS service at any dealership and ask to run them. They will let you know when and how much maintenance was done.

This is what I said... Not just the first line.. Are you a media employee? You know how they take the line of their choice...

My point is if the 150k car got timing belt at 125k. So obviously when the book says 90k why did they wait 35k??? On top of that they did not do preventive mainetenance such as the power steering pump until 125k.

My point is I suspect the owner/owners (??) did not take care of this car as they should have or as LEXUS reccommends. Either way the LS400 for less then 6k is great. GOOD LUCK

Oh I agree with what you're saying about making sure the maintenance was done. Waiting 25k for the timing belt isn't that big a deal though, unless its a telling sign that all the routine maintenance was waited on.

A power steering pump is not preventative maintenance...

What you have to realize though when you're dealing with cars 16 and 13 years old all the maintenance is not going to be done properly, nor will there be records for ALL of it. You want to find the one that appears to have had the best care and go with it. Its not a 3. 4. or even 10 year old car. They're sixteen and thirteen years old, they're old cars.

My point was the statement "80k miles is 80k miles" if it meant what I think you meant "buy the one with 80k miles because thats automatically better than 150k on another car regardless of any model improvements or a better use pattern" then thats bad advice.

I am a mechanic and I would take the car with 80,000 less miles every time if the cars both equally appealed to me. I feel like it's a no brainer. I do appreciate and respect every opinion I read in this forum I must add. Besides the brakes and wheels (not really that big a deal) the cars are pretty close . I would try to get the price down on the 90 enough to cover the work needed though. Now if I liked the color of the 93 better then that's another story. I would consult my wife also. Don't want to listen to her telling me she thinks the color is ugly for the next 6 years. 80,000 miles is a small price to pay not to hear that bring down!

Now there is also other pros to the 93 including below:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

- Improved emissions.

- Front brake calipers were upgraded from single to twin piston for better performance.

- Key-off operation function was added to the power windows and moon roof.

- Daytime running light system was added for all Canadian models.

- Larger switch on the key for increased keyless entry ease of use.

- Conventional flat horn was replaced by a spiral horn to improve sound.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 8.2 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- Basically there were no changes. 1992 LS400's are virtually the same as 1991 LS400's.

- The daytime running light system for Canadian models was slightly changed so that they illuminate at 80-85% of capacity instead of full.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 8.2 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- The LS400 Series II debuts with more than 50 changes, many as a direct response to dealer and customer requests.

- Slightly refined front grille. The vertical bars are less prominent so the horizontal lines show more.

- Headlight beam pattern improved.

- Front lower spoiler and rear undercover colors now matched with vehicle body color.

- Side body molding thickness was increased and larger rocker moldings with body matching color.

- Outside rear view mirror visors were slightly elongated and mirror adjustability increased.

- Larger 16" wheels with a new design.

- Leather door trim inserts became standard.

- Front roof headliner, sun visors, and center visor were changed to fabric.

- Steering wheel was slightly changed and the overdrive switch on the shifter was moved to the side.

- Minor stereo improvements.

- Aluminum radiator.

- EGR and EVAP systems now controlled by the engine ECU.

- A secondary air injection system was added to the emission control system on California spec models.

- Fluid temperature sensor was added to the transmission.

- Revised differential mounts.

- Bigger brakes and electronic brake-pad wear warning system added.

- Front and rear suspension improvements for better ride comfort.

- Steering shaft increased and steering characteristics were revised.

- Automatic light control system added.

- Illuminated entry system revised.

- Instrument cluster revised. Illumination adjusting system, electronic odometer, and exterior temperature gauge added. Warning lights were added and relocated.

- R134a became standard in the air conditioning system. A clean-air filter with odor-removing function was added.

- Keyless entry system revised.

- Lumbar support and vertical adjustments were added to the front passenger seat.

- Front passenger SRS air bag added.

- Seat belt pretensioner functions were added to the front belts.

- Cruise control system revised.

- Trunk lock improved.

- A few other minor improvements....

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 7.9 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

I have the 93 and love it! Everyone except the people here think its a 2001. Although I am doing very well with my career most people think I am loaded. Sometimes I play and say hey its nice not to have a car payment. :)

Cheers to LEXUS.. For sure when I looked I wanted certain colors. At first my wife wanted the light interior and then we found this LEXUS at 93k for 7k. It needed a few things and I added about 2500 in additions to get what I have..

post-17623-1125706255_thumb.jpg

I'd go for the 1990. More horsepower. Better looks. I don't like the color keyed lower rocker panels on the 1993's.

I've thought about it and I would still take the 90 , I like the color [ I wish my GS was that color ] and the 80,000 over the 135,000, I do agree the price of the 90 should be negotiated for repairs and maintenance. And I like the fact it is first gen. Kind of like owning a collector car. I would see to it that the car was brought up to EXCELLENT condition and kept fully stock. So get the 90 ! :cheers:

As a vintage Toyota enthusiast with years on experience buying, restoring and reselling 20-35 year old Toyotas, I definately go with the '90 from a future mechanical reliability / durability standpoint Reason: With only 80K miles it's highly unlikely any major mechanical componet of the '90 has any major mechanical wear and tear even if some preventive maintenance has been neglected (e.g. engine valve adjustment at 60K). And if you get on top of the preventive maintenance right away, (like the valve adjustment) you'll be able to keep the car from ever getting mechanically worn and torn for along time.

The '93 is probably fairly seriously worn in a number of ways which decreases your chances of driving another 100,000+ miles without serious and expensive repairs.

I would steer clear of any early 90's LS400 with air suspension regardless of odometer mileage.

The '93, definantly! ;) The maintinance is done, so she's good to go for a long while. Not to mention two toned burgandy LSs are a little hard to look at. :blink:

My point was the statement "80k miles is 80k miles" if it meant what I think you meant "buy the one with 80k miles because thats automatically better than 150k on another car regardless of any model improvements or a better use pattern" then thats bad advice.

I completely agree. As a kid, I can't tell you the number of times, my mother's cars were in the shop getting new transmissions before 40k miles (Hondas, Toyota, Fords, Chevys, etc.), and wouldn't you know she drives a combined total of 5 minutes to go back and forth from work yeilding extremely low mileage on all of the cars she drives. All were well maintained and driven lightly. As a very small framed woman (5'4 and 110lbs), the upholstry hardly showed wear marks, so her cars were always quiet easy to sell. I really feel sorry for the people that have her cars now. I could imaging the engines are torn apart by now.

I used to have the mileage=condition mentality because we are all taught that from a young age, and then, I got the ES300 which has regular service histroy, low mileage (driven less than 10k a year), and clean. What a disaster of a vehicle. The check engine light is on as we speak.

I wonder where Craig is; he's got good commentray on all of this, I'm sure?? He's probably driven his '93 with low mileage, just driven back and forth from church and the grocery by a 75 y/o woman in to a lake already. lmao

Personally I waited 2 months for my LEXUS.

The owner brought it to LEXUS for 11 of the 13 years and they changed the pump. It seemed he made sure everything was done on this car. I know that may be over kill, but he had money and did not want issues. My LEXUS probably had 30k worth of tune ups and maintenance over the years.

I also dont like the two tone burgendy, but maybe your wife will?