Navigation -- Worth It?

Husker4theSpurs

I know this is quite relative depending on where you live, but I'm torn as to whether to get the Navigation system or not. The color combo I'm looking for is fairly rare ... Onyx Black w/Light Gray interior ... and most of the RXs here with the Premium Plus have the Navigation as well. I'm just not sure that I want it ... seems like an expensive toy. I don't think the back up camera would really help that much and living in Nebraska there's not a lot of places that would be difficult to get to really without Navigation. Of course I like knowing where I'm at on a map just for fun a lot of the time and have considered moving to Los Angeles sometime in the near future (of course Nav would be nice there). Just not sure that it's worth the extra $2350 personally. The dealer here was able to locate a Premium Plus w/o Nav in the region (which is EXTREMELY rare). Generally it's either Premium Package OR Premium Plus with the Nav.

Will people please say how they like having the Navigation? Does it take long to punch in all the addresses, etc before getting going? Positives and Negatives? Thanks a lot!

It really depends on whether or not you think you will actually USE the navigation function. I have a Toyota Highlander with nav (essentially the same system as the RX - as you know Toyota and Lexus are one in the same) I waited an extra month to get the one WITH the navigation becuase I wanted it so badly - now I would do anything to go back and get one WITHOUT it. Everyone has a different opinion, but this is mine:

The map and all the other features were fun to look at for about 3 weeks. I think I have actually needed to use the map only once. As it stands now, the things that irritate me about having it are that you have to hit the "I Agree" button EVERYTIME you start the car before you can use the mapping and anytime you push a button on OR off the screen (temp control, settings, etc), it makes an annoying beep (this may or may not be the same in an RX, but I recall trying one at the dealer and it was the same)

The back up camera is a different story. This may actually be something that you could use and may help you avoid an accident at some point.

If your reason for getting the navigation was strictly because you think it will be "neat" to have, then don't do it. If you actually think you have a need for it to find the locations of things or if you take trips alot, then the $2K is worth it.

If you have any other questions, you can e-mail me at JohnJCronin@aol.com

like you said, it depends. do you live in a big or small city? do you drive around a lot or just commute, local shopping, and other familiar places? does the driver of the car have map skills? can you afford it?

I had a 2001 RX without Nav. My wife is the primary driver and she is map challenged. We live in a Chicago suburb and she drives to many different places, she used to call me from her cell phone for directions. My dad bought an 02 LS430 with nav and i thought it was a neat toy but not worth the cost. I then bought an RX330 with Nav for my wife - costly and i considered the nav an expensive luxury item - but like you said, the premium ones come with nav.

this gave me a chance to use it and now it has become a 'crutch' like everything else - tv remote, cell phone, email, internet - what would we do without these things? it is so easy to use (i have a bmw with nav that is much more cumbersome) that it has become more than a toy for us. addresses are easy to input. it remembers previous destinations. the travel time estimate feature helps plan (my kids don't ask "are we there yet" because the time remaining is for them to see). i have used the hospital finder in an unknown area. it helps with traffic jam shortcuts. we have been looking for a new house and it's indispensible. restaurants and meeting places are easy to find. the 'home' feature is great, etc, etc.

many will disagree with me ("just use a $2 map!" - i was one who preached this too) any they probably don't need it. so it depends on your situation. good luck.

I know this is quite relative depending on where you live, but I'm torn as to whether to get the Navigation system or not.  The color combo I'm looking for is fairly rare ... Onyx Black w/Light Gray interior ... and most of the RXs here with the Premium Plus have the Navigation as well.  I'm just not sure that I want it ... seems like an expensive toy.  I don't think the back up camera would really help that much and living in Nebraska there's not a lot of places that would be difficult to get to really without Navigation.  Of course I like knowing where I'm at on a map just for fun a lot of the time and have considered moving to Los Angeles sometime in the near future (of course Nav would be nice there).  Just not sure that it's worth the extra $2350 personally.  The dealer here was able to locate a Premium Plus w/o Nav in the region (which is EXTREMELY rare).  Generally it's either Premium Package OR Premium Plus with the Nav.

Will people please say how they like having the Navigation?  Does it take long to punch in all the addresses, etc before getting going?  Positives and Negatives?  Thanks a lot!

I think if you travel at all, once you use a GPS and get comfortable with it, you will never go back to maps. I used a Garmin iQue3600 to go from Ohio to Savannah Ga. then down around Orlando Fla. in October. I came home and bought a new RX with NAV and think the built-in unit is better then the Garmin with a larger screen. Last weekend we used it for a trip to DC and are very happy with it.

If you don't travel or go into new areas, you don't need a NAV unit I guess.

:D

If you travel definately get it. I love mine and will never again buy another car without it. Stuck in traffic, hit "detour" no more hit or miss back roads. Need a restaurant? Search by radius from your current location. Plus its just damn handy to constantly have your position on the map to avoid guesswork like "does this street go through?" etc.

The nav is my favorite feature.

I will probably not buy another car without Navi.

I find it indispensible, but my friends also say I get lost coming out of the shower, so maybe I am biased.

ha ha

Tom

I would never buy another car without it, either. What an incredible time saving tool. The car we bought had the Nav, which I initially didn't want. I made an offer right near invoice and they went for it on the first attempt, so the nav (and then some) was 'free'. (my weak justification for getting it) I later began to appreciate the nav. It'll get me around traffic jams, to client locations, etc. I really recommend it.

Mike

The nav in my 01 RX300 is unreliable just enough to make it useless. If you're traveling within the urban area of one of our larger cities or on an interstate then it will probably work well. In smaller cities and in rural areas it clearly does have sufficient mapping resolution to be of any real help.

In addition to all of that it has some serious firmware flaws, like computing the shortest time or distance between two points, it will often take you up to an hour out of your way on a 200 mile trip if you don't know or double check with mapquest.

Personally I got around the "I Agree" issue by simply leaving the nav DVD door open when I have no need of the nav service, that turns out to be about 100% of the time.

I find it very accurate even in the country areas of WV, VA, and PA I've never had any problems with it being unreliable or not having roads. A couple of times in the extreme country like when we rented a cabin on top of a mountain (literally) in VA it wouldn't compute a destination but the roads were still there that I could follow.

I find it very accurate even in the country areas of WV, VA, and PA I've never had any problems with it being unreliable or not having roads. A couple of times in the extreme country like when we rented a cabin on top of a mountain (literally) in VA it wouldn't compute a destination but the roads were still there that I could follow.

i just heard this from somewhere and kinda off topic, but did President Bush say he wanted to shut down the GPS system someday becuz of terrorists using it for their attacks???

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I think I'm leaning towards NOT getting it b/c around here it's not like I don't know where I'm going. Plus this justifies me adding the chrome rims as well. I appreciate everyone's input!

Maybe a few more ?s:

How long does it take to input the addresses, etc? The ease? I'm sure it gets easier the more you've worked with it. Do you find yourself just sitting in the driveway setting it all up before you leave?

Does the voice-activation work for inputting an address while on the move?

Thanks so much for everyone's input.  I think I'm leaning towards NOT getting it b/c around here it's not like I don't know where I'm going.  Plus this justifies me adding the chrome rims as well.  I appreciate everyone's input!

Maybe a few more ?s:

How long does it take to input the addresses, etc?  The ease?  I'm sure it gets easier the more you've worked with it.  Do you find yourself just sitting in the driveway setting it all up before you leave?

Does the voice-activation work for inputting an address while on the move?

good luck in ur car buying

B)

The voice activation is totally useless. It doesn't understand the commands at all.

As for addresses, they're easy. The issue is you can't input addressed when you're moving only while stopped. You can auto input your home address and 6 saved addresses (kind of like presets) while you're on the move though. Once you learn the system its very easy to operate. It comes with a very thorough DVD that shows you all the functions.

I will probably not buy another car without Navi.

Agreed. I originally thought it was an expensive toy, but I like toys. I needed to convince the wife to get it. Actually it was for her car. She went to the dealership, tried it out, and never looked back. She still thinks it is useful even though we do not use it often.

I am putting a Nav sytem into my car, which did not come with it. But this is my car and my toy. ;)

Disclaimer: My wife's car is an Acura MDX so the Nav system is different so I cannot speak about the content of the Lexus Nav. BTW, on the MDX there is the initial "Agree" screen but I'm used to it and if it does not bother the wife, it does not bother me. :) You can program the addresses while moving on the MDX though. This works out great when we need to change course on the fly or if we need to get going and don't want to preplan the trip. The wife enters the info of course while I am driving. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend getting the navigation system it is very handy and will be a blessing should you move. It's very easy to use although I would like to see a few changes, but from what I've read they have the best system out there. If you can afford it go for it.

unless you're going anywhere you aren't fimiliar with, do not get the nav.. with the nav the center console is more complicated than it already is finding all the buttons and everything else. Keep it simple.

I decided to go without the Nav and I'm happy I did it that way ... no updates to feel like I need in the future, less complication concerning all the info of fuel economy and climate control. I don't blame anyone for wanting the Navigation though!

There is no doubt in my mind that the nav system is something to get. I've had 2 other cars with nav systems, and you pay $2K plus for only nav features. The Lexus one gives you other toys to play with.. the backup camera, the trip computer, touch screen climate, and best of all the bluetooth. Now, though the bluetooth works with only a limitied number of phones right now, we're expecting to keep the car for 5 years, and in the next few years, there's no doubt in my mind the bluetooth will be a much used feature. It's already pretty useful on my v710 now.

So, yeah,it's mostly a toy, but it's a pretty cool toy.

If the Navigation system is available in your selection I also recommend getting it.

I also used to say Maybe... I don't need it, but the rear view camera option and the navigation system are very handy.

It's hard to make you think how it is handy but.. It's like... you got a cell phone first time.

Here's a thought- My RX doesn't have it. However, I bought Microsoft Streets & trips 2005. The version i bought comes with a GPS that plugs into your laptop. Pretty neat for $130. Of course- yopu will need a laptop & mount in your car (the good ones aren't cheap). If you work from your car- this could be a good option.