Sedan Showdown!

LS430

I'd buy an ES330. Honestly I drove all those cars and the ES is the clear winner. Unless sportiness is important to you, but I don't know why you would include the Avalon if that were the case.

Agreed.....I'm suprised the ES in among the cars in the group.....G35 is RWD (unless one get's the G35x) so out of that group, I think I'd take the Avalon first followed by the TL.......if the ES was on the list, it would have been my first choice.....naturally. B) ;)

:cheers:

i would choose the G35, even if the ES330 was on the list (even though Lexus is hands down the best made car, IMO)

with short throw 6 speed, and AWD, sport tuned suspension. and almost 300 HP out of the (optional) manual tranny, 3.5 V6, it would be fun to drive for sure

i'm just not a huge fan of the ES model (even though it is a GREAT car).....but thats just my opinion.......

hope everyone has a nice thanksgiving :cheers:

If I had to pick from your list, it would be down to the BMW and the Infinity. I would have to give more thought to which.

I wouldn't mind a Saburu WRX, the one with 300 HP. I like watching that World Rally Championship and the WRX's are the closest thing that is easy to buy.

When we were evaluating new sedans in 2002 (and chose the LS430), we considered all of the cars mentioned which were available for the 2002 model year, and a whole lot more. Our second choice was the Avalon (not just on a cost basis). We drove one (top of the line and loaded) for about 1k miles on vacation in Oregon round trip from Portland down the coast, across to Crater Lake, with multiple side trips before returning to Portland. Averaged 30+ mpg with 4 adults and luggage. At that time it was the roomiest and most comfortable of the sedans metioned except the LS430. Later I read that the LS 430 lost more sales to the Avalon than any other car even though the Avalon was not classified as a "luxury sedan". But we were specifically looking for a reliable, comfortable, roomy (rear seat also), safe, quiet, and well appointed 4 door sedan with well above average handling qualities. Not a "sport "sedan, most of which have very limited leg room in the rear seat. The Avalon stacked up very well against the competition. After purchasing and driving the LS430 and remembering the quality of the Avalon and the Camry(which we drove from Seattle to North Carolina), we bought Toyota stock (which is still looking good)!

I had a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE I bought new & I can say honestly that is was a great car......having said that, I was not impressed with Nissan service departments (I went to 4 different dealers & 3 of them were Nissan / Infiniti dealers). To get any ligit warranty work performed, they would give te customer a hard time till the point you were almost begging the dealer to fix the problem! :chairshot: I wouldn't purchase another Nissan or Infiniti product for that very reason again........plus it bug's me that the G35x isn't a full time AWD system to boot! The new GS will be however!! :D B)

the Jaguar X-type, simply for its roots in the car that i truly love...the ford contour.

there are other reasons i woudl choose this car, but the main one is that its just liek driving a contour SVT, except with AWD and about 50 More HP.

the Jaguar X-type, simply for its roots in the car that i truly love...the ford contour.

The first couple of years of the X-type were not great as the car suffered many mechanical & electrical woes.....georgous looking car nontheless! (I won't mention the Contour as that's a whole different story) :) I LOVE the concept of having a sedan with AWD however.....that's why I'm also keeping a close eye on the 2006 Lexus GS. B)

This seems like an odd group from which to choose since there are six rather small cars and one large roomy car - the Avalon. For someone financially conservative like us, the choice in this group would be an Avalon - but one that had just come off a 3 year/36,000 mile lease where someone else has eaten the worst of the depreciation.

If you want a new Avalon and can wait a while, there is a big change next year --> http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7555

But gosh are 3-series BMW's fun to drive...

I've driven an X Type AND a Contour SVT and don't see any similarities in them at all...

I also really like the look of the X Type but they're cramped and resale is really poor.

their similarities are more than just skin deep. ;) they share thesame subframe, engine layout, chassis components. many of the parts will fit in a contour SVT. they are both CDW-27 based cars. their are more similarites than most people think, but outwardly, yes, you would never know it. :D

I mean even in the way they drive...

Just because two cars share the same platform (In this case the Mondeo platform) doesn't mean they're "similar" cars in the way that they perform.

true, but as i said thats not the only reason i woudl choose that one. the comfort and styling are a major factor on that car, i just dont like how the infinity looks, or the avalon either.

they do drive similar to me, i have driven both many many times. i have stepped out of the SVT, Directly into the jag. and driven them back to back. they fell different, but respond the same, its kind of hard to tell the difference though if you arent looking for it. also hard to explain. the jag has the creature comforts, the heated seats and all of that, but the SVT doesnt. the biggest difference has to be the AWD though.

i have also driven a Mondeo ST220 and an Xtype back to back...THEY feel VERY similar. i suppose i did use the wrong car for the analysis. in fact, stepping out of the ST220 and into the X-type, the only performace and handling differences i noticed were theslightly stiffer shifter fel in the jag and the icreased road noise in the mondeo.

its all in how you look at it. thats my opinion. im not representing it as fact. they just felt very similar to me, and ithat particular platform holds a special place in my heart.

I personally don't find the X type appealing other than the exterior. The interior is VERY small and some of the plastics are hard and cheap and there's some "Fordy-ness" to some of the controls. Jags are overrated IMHO, all show and no substance.

I don't like the look of the Avalon but the styling of the G35 has grown on me, especially the coupe...

I didn't like the fact the X-type has a smallish fuel tank considering it has AWD. I have a larger tank on my ES & it's lighter to boot! Styling on the X-type looks nice IMO.....not breath taking, but not bad either. I totally agree about the resale value as well. B) Ive seen thosespy shots 1990LS......the new Avalon is going to have something like 270 HP so I'm looking forward to seeing it without that black coat. ;)