Engine Cleaning With Wd-40

Was told by a friend that he heard that car dealers often use WD-40 to clean the engine compartments up.  I had never heard this before...anyone heard or done this?

I've been using it for 10 years now. Works perfect, loosens rust, protects rubber and leaves a good clean shine.

Was told by a friend that he heard that car dealers often use WD-40 to clean the engine compartments up.  I had never heard this before...anyone heard or done this?

I've been using it for 10 years now. Works perfect, loosens rust, protects rubber and leaves a good clean shine.

I use WD-40 to dress the engine area (rubber and metal) after washing (degrease and wash). Looks real good and makes the engine area shine like new again. :cheers::cheers:

I used to use wd 40 for a minute

then after a few weeks my engine bay is coated with a thick clump of dust all over it.

Their are engien dressings that make a hard clear top coat but it is not paint, more of an acrylic for $5 looks btter and is cleaner.

i've never heard of that........ <_<

wd-40 is VERY flamable, as well as a pretty mean solvent.

but whatever works, works :lol:

I will say NEVER use those special engine degreasers. :chairshot:

SOME engine degreasers can cause pitting of metal components and speed up degedation of plastic and rubber components, but definately not all of them. Engine detailing isn't my forte so i won't elaborate further but others will be along to chime in I'm sure...

~One man’s opinion / observations~

A degreaser made for automotive use (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) will not harm surfaces found in the engine bay, the idea is to apply let them do their work and then thoroughly rinse away. Its when they are left for an extended period of time they could do damage

Engine Detailing Methodology:

·Remove any excess debris; leaves and etc form the hood, grille or air-vent openings.

·Spray all electrical connectors with WD40, which repels water.

·Use cling-film or Saran wrap elastic covers to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.

·This will not guarantee that you wont cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.

·Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.

·Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.

·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water and dry with a cloth.

·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted general purpose cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)

·When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light (garden type) pressure water hose.

·Use the blower side of a vacuum (avoid area that may be sensitive to a forced air flow) or allow the engine compartment to air dry and then thoroughly wipe down all accessible surfaces and then remove cling-film or aluminum foil.

·When everything is dry apply a vinyl/rubber protectant to hoses, shields and wires, and spray engine parts with CD2 Engine Detailer or Groit's Spay on Engine Gloss

·Wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and apply a wax/sealant protection to painted surfaces.

Engine Detailing Brushes:

Use the appropriate detailing brush for the different surfaces found in the engine compartment

·Horse hair brush for painted surfaces

·A Nylon brush for plastic components

·Brass for aluminum parts

·Stainless steel for steel parts

I would recommend wearing a pair of latex cloves while working on the engine compartment. Road grime, tar and grease are very difficult to remove from underneath your fingernails. Outside of the garage your hands shouldn't look like you need lessons in personal grooming

CD2 Engine Detailer

An easy to use two- step aerosol system, that cleans and preps and then details engine. Cleans, protects and shines all under the hood surfaces. Very fast acting formulas, dries tack free and leaves no greasy residue. Repels grease, dirt and moisture. Protects rubber and plastic engine components from cracking and drying. Protects painted and metal surfaces from rust and corrosion. (midwayautosupply.com)

And after all this work- :cheers:

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

I've had several car lots over the years as well as a detail shop. First of all i suggest not using any engine solvents/degreasers on later model cars (can play heck on the electrical and ruin your day- older cars like my 80 MZB 240d notta prob).

I use a water based tire dressing called blue luster ona rag and just wipe it down. It takes longer but the peace of mind is worth it. Unlike your oil/solvent based dressings it also repels dust and gives your engine a beautiful sheen.

303 will give u simular results. It's a tad pricey but u can use it on all your rubber, vinyl, plastics, leather ect. Also provides excellent UV protection.

CHEERS

:D

Quote: I've had several car lots over the years as well as a detail shop. First of all i suggest not using any engine solvents/degreasers on later model cars (can play heck on the electrical and ruin your day- older cars like my 80 MZB 240d notta prob).

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Hence:

Spray all electrical connectors with WD40, which repels water.

Use cling-film or Saran wrap elastic covers to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.

This will not guarantee that you wont cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

in my opinion, correct me if i'm wrong, but WD40 is great to get rid of dirt... but it comes back just as fast with it. From my observation, whenever i spray something with WD40 to prevent squeaks, that area just has a whole bunch of dirt n crap come back all over it.

Now, i was taught to use WD40 to clean my motorcycle chains to remove the grime and dirt... but not to use it to lube it because the O-rings on the chains will get dryier on it. N riding with a bad o-ring can cause the chain to snap... but whats worst is, the accident can end ur life

So in a car's perspective... using WD40 will clean it immediately, but give it a few days n the engine will b dirty. As for rubber hoses or any materials similiar to O-Rings... wouldn't they get dry as well n become worse for you over time?

I heard if your car has some oil leak from (power steering, oil, etc.) you can use Brake Cleaner Spray.

One product that I have had great success with is a certain cleaner called "Castrol Super Clean - cleaner/degreaser" It comes in a big purple container the same shape as anti-freeze. Heck, even wal-mart carries it! This stuff is great, not only is it a great cleaner/degreaser, it is biodegradable! Plus it is only about 5 bucks!

I Spray a little WD-40 on a rag and just use that. First I use a old paintbrush and a shopvac to get any dust off.

What many used car dealers do is steam clean the engine, then spray it with clear lacquer and tell you how someone babied it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...