Saw The New 05 Cadillac Sts In Person...

SW03ES

Thought I'd post this here as a follow up since I had been having a discussion with blake, vbdenny, Tmaxxtim and a couple others about the new STS in another thread. As they know I was quite interested in the STS after seeing pictures and reviews of it and thought this car might just put Cadillac back on the map.

Well I saw one today in person and I was, well, less than thrilled with it. Where the car looked very well proportioned and smooth and handsome in pictures it looks kind of bulbous and misshapen in person. Also as blake saw from the photos the rear looks significantly higher than the front and the wheels don't look nearly as impressive. The grill also sits way ahead of the headlights and looks, well strange. Car looks short and stocky instead of long and flowing like it appeared in photos.

The interior was also a dissapointment, cheapo GM carpeting and cheap looking heavily grained plastic used throughout. Wood looked nice and the switchgear seemed nice. All in all the fit and finish was good inside and out, but I wouldn't be interested in one at all. I'll get by to drive it eventually and see what it has to offer there.

I was quite dissapointed :(

Hey SWO

Sounds like they are continuing to enhance the styling with that stealthy looking shape. Cadillac interiors aren't what they use to be. How about a Cadillac exterior will a LS430 interior? I must agree that the exterior styling is way ahead of the curve.

Steve, sorry the STS was such adisappointment for you. I had a feeling that the quality wouldn't come close to a Lexus's. It's good to know you'll still be in the Lexus family and not group of Caddy owners! Enjoy your ES, put a couple of miles on it and hold out for what you really want-the LS430-because nothing else will do even if it has a lot of style, a V8, and can out handle a Bimmer or Merc. ;)

:cheers:

It is strange how a car can look so much different in photos than in person.

I still think they are nice cars. Does anyone remember the old Cadillac commercials of the 1980s? "Cadillac- Cadillac- Cadillac style....". It may have been as late as the early 90s, but I think it came out around 1986, when the downsized Eldorado was introduced. Now those were (and I think still are) nice little coupes.

I agree gents! I too was not overwelmed with the new STS......I came so close before I bought my ES & almost got a 2001 STS. After a long conversation with two of my mechanics.......he steered me away from anything Cadillac with the previous generation Northstar engine as well as other maladies. I like the AWD concept however........I will keep an eye out since it's a completly new platform & I'm not a huge fan of purchasing an American car in it's first year of production for obvious reasons. B)

:cheers:

For months, I tried to talk my dad into buying a ls430. He's from the old school and thinks that the Cadillac is KING. A few weeks after purchasing his 04 Deville, he test drove the 430 for the hell of it. He loved it! He actually admitted that the Lexus is a far superior car but is loyal to GM products because he's works for John Deere, a member of the United Auto Workers (union). Maybe he'll get a ls500 when he retires :chairshot:

Well from what I'm seeing at the Auto mall I work at, Caddy is planning to have a STS-V version soon. I haven't had an opportunity to throughly look through the STS, but so far the exterior doesn't look that bad

dc- I personally don't see anything wrong with discussing other vehicles here. Our ability to fairly talk about other makes without cutting them down and blindly believing Lexus is the best is what sets us apart from Benz and BMW owners. "Caddy=Oldsmobile=Garbage" is just as ignorant a statement as Lexus=Toyota=Garbage. Save that kinda stuff for other boards.

As for the STS, no doubt its a good car and a big step for Caddy, but they still could do SO much better. Corners are still getting cut, cheap plastics and carpeting etc. As always there are more gadgets than you can count but sales have shown buyers prefer quality over buttons and lights.

too true... humor was all intended... but SW was right too... my cousins is part of a beemer and a acura fourm they are soo biasised... everytime i mention lexus they turn all :censored::censored: i always tell them to chill out every car has there ups and downs... stubborn some may say

You all know it is in fun , Caddy is not my preference though [ obviously ] I came across this topic and had to laugh , The new caddy styling in my opinion is not for road cars maybe spaceships ? with poor interiors ,ONE WAY TO THE STARS ? :lol::lol::lol: NOT 11

Whatever. In keeping with our off topic topic, I saw a Cadilac yesterday. It was somelike like and XLR . It was a small black sports car. Radical looking thing it was.

I had a Cadillac for 300,000 miles. Not a bad car but till nothing compared to a Lexus. In spite of previous posts I will give DC somewhat of a point (without the Junk part).

Geo=Saturn=Pontiac=Oldmobile=Buick=Cadillac and now even = Saab. They are pretty good cars for the most part (far better than Fords) but they are not great cars. They are just cars. Someone who is happy tooling around in an Oldsmobile just doesn't know any better. Hell, until I bought my Lexus, I thought they were just tricked out Camrys. Surprized me!

I think it is great that we are able to talk about different cars. I think we should even have a seperate catagory like general discussion for it. Obviously we are all reading forums outside our areas anyway.

dc- Seriously now thats not kosher here. Its important to me that lowbrow cuts like that not be made. I realize you're only joking around but I'm not. Comments like that aside from being simply stupid invite Internet flame wars and crap we just don't need. Plenty of other sites that allow everyone to jump on the bandwagon with that junk, its important that we stay on the high road here.

I think an all other cars forum would be a cool idea, I'll bring that up.