Give me a brake

I was wondering, seeing I may be due for brake service soon, why are the rotors on the rear are solid? I'm also wondering do the rear brake calipers have a piston on both sides of the rotor?

The rear brake rotors on your 2002 Lexus SC430 are solid for a couple of reasons. Firstly, solid rotors are generally more durable and less prone to warping under heat compared to vented rotors. Secondly, the rear brakes don’t generate as much heat as the front brakes during normal driving conditions because most of the braking force is applied to the front brakes. Therefore, solid rotors are sufficient for the rear brakes.

As for the rear brake calipers, they typically have a single piston on one side of the rotor. When you apply the brakes, the piston pushes the brake pad against the rotor, and the caliper slides to bring the other pad into contact with the other side of the rotor. This is a common design in many vehicles, including the 2002 Lexus SC430. However, some high-performance vehicles or heavy-duty trucks may have calipers with pistons on both sides of the rotor, known as four-piston or six-piston calipers, for increased braking power.