Joining The Club

texxclark

So I have just inherited a silverish 1991 Lexus LS400. My grandmother left it to my father, and when my 89 maxima with 175000 miles finally got to costly to maintain, I stepped up and took the Lexus. Needless to say im extremely happy. The car is at 80,000 miles only and has had all maintenance done through lexus dealer.

Any advice on taking care of the car. Its in great shape inside and out. There is no cd player so i might upgrade that but otherwise im happy. There is some minor paint chipping on the rear bumper, but the car did spend 10 years in the hot sun of Pheonix AZ. Aside from that and a very few minor dents, its untouched.

I am a graduate student in Miami right now, and am wondering about tint. Any advice on what would look good. It gets so hot at school that im definately thinking of tinting it. Probably around 20% or so. I dont think 5% would look very good on the car since its silver. I had the extremmely dark tint on my charcoal nissan and it looked great, but not sure if the contrast with the new color will be good.

Thanks for your time and consideration.!!!! :D

welcome to the club!

do 20% its more then enuff, check pix of my car in garage, i have 20% and i have beige interior and it still looks more then enuff.

Welcome to the club texxclark.

I wish i had and drove a LS 400 back when i was at school.Your a lucky guy to be in this position ;)

As to the CD player,my 1991 400 has it fitted..so has it been taken out of the car or was the CD player a option on the USA cars?

My car also has a few small dents and paint damage,but for the age of the car im also so happy with the condition for a car of that age.....other make cars in the uk of the same age are ready for the bin :D

As long as you check the oil,water levels.....keep everything so so,the car will look after you.

Ive owned my car around 6 months now,ive 134,000 miles on her....the lady owned the car 10 years before i bought it and it had one owner before her...

Ive a FSH on the car,but intend to do all work myself on the car,services etc..

To date ive changed the transmission fluid(make sure if you ever top up or change fluid that you only you the dealer(lexus/toyota)fluid).

Replaced the EGR pipe (exhaust gas return)which is a none problem on a car of our age.....is a pig of a job,so i hope you never have to have it replaced.It took me 8 hours one Saturday and 4 hours on the Sunday to finish the work :angry:

Ive also fitted 245/40/18s alloy wheels because i felt the car understeered to much for my liking :chairshot: .....i my view the car now drives alot better....more grip,better under brake with the ABS not needing to work as hard...and more stable at speed.

There i go again :whistles: .....i should of just posted"Welcome to the club" :lol::lol: :D

So much for another short reply to a post :D

:cheers:

welcom to LOC!

where everyone knows something and every one is nice.

i guess "silverish is a new color? well enjoy your silverish colored car and if u ever have a question on your lex quest don't be affraid to ask. we don't bit..i swear

ls430

Hey thanks for all of the replies. As far as the "silverish" color goes. I j ust gave it its first long bath in a long time. THe paint looks great and a nice shiny silver, haha. Was just covered up with a nice layer of dead bugs and dirt.

I was also going through all of the paper work and it looks like the rack and pinion and steering and all of that was replaced at 65,000 miles by a lexus dealer, + new breaks, and new tires.

From what ive been reading, that steering problem can be one of the major ones, but it was fixed o nly 15,000 miles ago so that should be great.

All post some picks as soon as i get a chance, but im definately excited to be driving such a nice car. and what a step up

What's your states Maximum? Florida gets really HOT. I think FL's maximum is 5% or 20%. If you change addresses, I'd go with the darker one.