What's The Best Wax?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got done using Zaino products on my '04 blue IS. I used the car wash, Z5 polish, Z2 polish with the ZFX additive and the Z6 spray in between coats of the other stuff.

Good thing I had the day to myself. The results were worth it, amazing shine. Stuff is easy to apply/remove and smells good too :P :P

Which Meguiar's products were you considering?

I don't think the issue so much is the product its either the prepwork or the color of the paint. Unfortunately you have a color thats going to be really hard to get a great look off of, silvers are really hard.

No luck reducing the amount of carwash soap used?

Hi Steve, I did 2 coats of 1Z paint polish, 2 coats of Poorboy EX polish w/ carnueba (?spelling). I have not had a chance to do the the EX sealer yet. Not sure what Meguiar's products I'm going to use. I am open to any suggestions you may have for a light color like mine. BTW it's a light green, not silver. I posted pics in the LS gallery, page 46 I think.

Its all in the silver family though, its a green tinted silver. That should be a good base. You'll want to do the PwC again before you do the EX as it doesn't have a lot of durability on its own.

I'm thinking you might want to try Meguiar's #16 wax. In my testing and that of others it looks good on silvers and really brings out the metallic lustre. My fiance's Prius is a darker green tinted silver and the #16 looks great on it. You could put it right on top of the EX in place of the Natty wax. Your problem is the EX and the PwC are geared towards depth, you want products that will produce shine on a light colored car. I think we sell the #16, its not expensive...

Thanks Steve, I'll give #16 a try. Does PwC meen that I should do another layer of Polish w/Carnuba? Then use the EX Sealer w/Carnuba (how many layers?) and then top it off with #16.

Wife's van is "Desert Sand" '04 Sienna Limited, would the #16 work good on this also or would you recommend another product?

Thank you for all your comments. :cheers:

When is the wedding?!? B) I've been married 8 years. :blink:

The PwC is an acronym for "Polish With Carnuaba". Its froim a detailing forum, I forget that people on other forums don't know the acronyms LOL, So yeah, you'll want to do another coat of the Polish before the EX, and I find the EX looks best after 2-3 coats. It definately needs 2 for its best look. After that you'll want to wait 24 hours and top the EX with the #16 if you want to. The easiest way to apply that is by hand with a terry or foam applicator just wipe on one panel and wipe immediately off, don't wait and let it haze like the tin says or it will be hard to remove.

#16 should look good on your wife's van too.

LOL, we haven't even set a date yet, probably sometime next year. :D

• 4 months later...

I have really enjoyed using a wax called Simply Z Best. I picked up some at a factory demonstration years ago, and have not found anything I liked better since! Also, their tire shine works well. I am not sure of any stores you can find it in, but you can get it from their website. I am by no means related to this company, I am just a very satisfied customer!

Wow, it seems detailing is a lot like politics, everyone is right.

I will hold fast on my position that Collinite is the best carnuba wax I have ever used. I used Maquire's Gold Classic for awhile and loved the shine, but it only lasted a month or so. Luckily for all of us, wax has improved greatly over the years. I remember that nasty old green turtle wax cleaner wax that got stuck in everything and had a shine that lasted until the second rain.

Find the wax with the highest percentage of carnuba, I think Collinite is 18 which they claim is one of the highest percentages available. Nothing is better than good carnuba, whatever brand you use.

I will also agree that prep is 90% and wax application is 10% of a quality detailing job. I spend between 12 and 16 hours preping and waxing a car. Then I charge them between $250 and $400 and they hug me.

Gold Class is terrible. You've got to try some of the other higher quality waxes vb! Maybe I'll send you a chunk of my #16 or some P21S to try out. #16 is a heavy carnuaba wax like collinite but it has a little bit better optics. P21S only lasts a matter of weeks but the look is unbelievable, very wet and deep. Its better suited as a topper wax going over a more durable wax or sealant as just a beauty step.

You can't been Collinite for durability but you can definately beat it for look ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Zymol is a funny product. I've never used Zymol but I know a lot of people who have and most of them aren't as impressed with it next to other neauty waxes like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran. Zymol is almost a "status" wax. They have a line of waxes that costs literally thousands of dollars a jar in their Estate line and they're sold by luxury car dealership which gives the "appearance" of being a great wax but when in reality there are many as good or better.

Is it worth a try? Sure the Japon wax isn't terribly expensive.

Zymol is a funny product. I've never used Zymol but I know a lot of people who have and most of them aren't as impressed with it next to other neauty waxes like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran. Zymol is almost a "status" wax. They have a line of waxes that costs literally thousands of dollars a jar in their Estate line and they're sold by luxury car dealership which gives the "appearance" of being a great wax but when in reality there are many as good or better.

Is it worth a try? Sure the Japon wax isn't terribly expensive.

i prefer NXT on all of my cars except the lex... lexis paint is peeling off the doors and rear fender on the left side, so i pretty much just use gold class by meguiars. works pretty good, lasts much longer than NXT.

I once heard a wise man say it's 90% technique and 10% product. Wise man is also know as SW03ES.

And that man is almsot correct. ;) I believe it is 99% prep work and 1% product. ;) If you prep and polish the paint to perfection before applying wax the wax won't matter as much. The wax is a protective coat that will add some shine,depth, and wetness but the majority of a good shine comes from the work before the wax is applied.

Quote: I would like to wax my car, anyone have any recommendations?

~One man’s opinion / observations

I looked in my book for “Best wax/sealant” and came up with nothing :) … but I did find this-

Product Choices:

What are the criteria used to choose one product over another?

1.Aesthetic value (How does a product ‘look’ on a particular type and colour of paint)

2.Ease of application (Is it easy to apply, does the residue buff off easily)

3.Durability (How long will a product last and go on proving protection)

The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least (beauty is after all in the ‘guy’ of the beholder) the only best Wax or Sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you. It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

Ease of application and durability are both very easily researched through either product use experience or detailing forums. A manufacturer is free to place any claim of excellence he wants on his product to make it sell, judge products on their merits rather than personal preference, brand loyalty or emotions.

Finally-“ It’s the surface preparation that makes the most difference, not the product”.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

• 2 weeks later...
I just got done using Zaino products on my '04 blue IS.  I used the car wash, Z5 polish, Z2 polish with the ZFX additive and the Z6 spray in between coats of the other stuff.

Good thing I had the day to myself.  The results were worth it, amazing shine.  Stuff is easy to apply/remove and smells good too    :P  :P

I've used all the products mentioned on this thread. I have to agree that the Zaino products produced a superior shine.

EVERY product mentioned in this thread? WOW...

Yeah, what can I say...I'm the son of a car nut. We used everything from stuff called Liquid gold to oven cleaner (Delorean). The optics of the Z2 and Z6 on the indigo ink paint are gorgeous. Course thats my opinion for what its worth.

I just got done using Zaino products on my '04 blue IS.  I used the car wash, Z5 polish, Z2 polish with the ZFX additive and the Z6 spray in between coats of the other stuff.

Good thing I had the day to myself.  The results were worth it, amazing shine.  Stuff is easy to apply/remove and smells good too    :P  :P