Anyone Voting For Obama?

Randy&Bonnie

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!

I'm going to assume you meant "BO", as in Barack Obama? Let me know and I'll edit the topic line to make it more easily understood.

If you did then yes, I'm voting for him.

Why? Because McCain's a sellout and its time to let someone else with fresh ideas steer the ship for a while. Its my honest opinion that we'll see a stronger and quicker rebound in this country, in all areas, if we have a break from the Republicans...and I'm a republican.

I liked John McCain in 2000, I voted for him in the primary because he was a maverick, bucked his party by standing up to the right-wing christian nutjobs that have poisened our party. However, the John McCain of 2000 and the John McCain of 2008 are completely different people.

Here are my issues with McCain:

1. He all but completely abandoned his maverick stance to win the primary.

2. He picked a completely unqualified person for his VP to purely help him politically, which is particularly irresponsible because of his age and history with cancer.

3. His campaign tactics have been abysmal. He should be ashamed. Nothing but attacks, republican smear machine to the point where Karl Rove said enough is enough.

4. I don't think he has any idea how to relate to the issues normal Americans are dealing with right now.

5. We just need a break. All you had to do was watch that a-hole Bush give that 2 minute speech with no emotion or feeling at all this morning in the midst of this crisis to see this guy doesn't get it or just doesn't care. Sorry for McCain...but he's an extension of that.

6. He's old as hell. Its time the younger generation in this country gets a whack.

I'm not saying Obama is perfect. I do like him a lot, and here's why:

1. He's inspirational. He gets young people excited about politics and our country, and that is something we desperately need especially now.

2. He's someone who understands what its like to come out of college with loads of student loan debt and how to deal with that.

3. He picked someone for his VP who was the right choice to govern the country in the event of his death, and not someone who would have helped him politically (Hillary Clinton).

4. He's a charismatic guy who'se not afraid to be a little humble to the world after the way we've acted for the last 8 years, and we need that.

5. He's different.

Thats my take on it, and I do think Obama will win this election.

I'm really not on the left at all, but I am really fed up with the current state of the republican party which is why I left the party in 2004. These people aren't republicans...I'm not sure what they are... When "conservative" began to mean "legislate from the bible" they lost me.

I'm actually pretty conservative...

BUT, if we're going to elect people that are going to be fiscally liberal, we may as well get charismatic, inspirational leaders that speak to my generation for a change as compared to curmudgoney crusty old guys we've seen 1000 times before.

Is it wrong to discuss with friends, family, or internet cronnies, and Lexus Club Members, the subject of the Presidential Election and Vice President nominee???

Not at all, as long as we can do it without caling each other a bunch of dirty names (you poo poo head! lol) lets have at it.

I changed "Bo" to "Obama" in the subject, it did take me a sec to figure out what you were talking about ;)

I've gotta' tell ya', I'm really really really thinking about it. I'm setting aside my own opinions about what I think, and starting to listen to the global commentary, of which all seem to be for Obama. I'm doing this, because never before in my life time have we ever been in such international activities, as we are today. I'm not talking about just the war, but the economy, the negotiations for dealing with the remaining losers "Iran, N. Korea, Etc.". I think we've strained our relations with our international friends over the past few years. I don't see McCain offering the kind of leadership that can ease that tension without more of the same tactics, and I don't think the world can handle us continuing down that path for several more years. I think it's time we return to the world stage with a bit more of a gentle touch. I'm also tired of living under the "fear" cloud. Granted, I know we can't have a nuke-capable Iran. I know we can't allow certain things to happen. But, I think our stance over the past several years of "going alone if you're not with us", quite frankly, has allowed others to simply say "sounds good to us, send us a postcard when you get there."

In conflict, I like McCain. In relations and creativity, I like Obama. Since we've been at conflict for years now, and have won "as evidenced by the Iraqi government asking us to step aside", I think it's time to be a bit more gentle. I don't think Obama will chicken out though if conflict should arise. But, I don't think he'll use it as a platform to do a bunch of other stuff too. We did Iraq, we're doing Afghanistan. We're tired, we're broke, and quite frankly, I think we're ready to say to those people "if our efforts over the past several years aren't enough for you to get up and take this on yourself, then we've got to let the course, take it's course." but, understand, if we have to come back, it won't be so "politically correct". At least, that's what I'd say if I were President, which probably is a good reason why I'm not!

I liked Palin, until she spoke. I'm sorry, but I just can't take 4-8 years of that voice. Plus, I HATE the Clintons. And you know ole' Hillary is gearing up for 2012. She wants McCain to win, so she can win in 2012. Also, Palin may have some experience, but not enough to be President. Why McCain picked her, I don't know. He had me dead-solid, until then. But if there is one thing about McCain that I've learned to realize, is to never count him out. He's the kind of guy where you have to give his decisions some time to perform. That, I do like about him. I think he can see the twists and turns much further down the path then Obama.

I don't like Biden, but at least "I think" he won't be fuel for tabloid chatter. After Bill Clinton, I never want to go through that again.

I guess, at this point, I'm still a bit undecided. But, I am leaning towards Obama. If for anything, to listen to the world. And, he earned a lot of credit with me when Jesse Jackson said what he said about him. That man, and his buddy Al Sharpton, are two of the biggest racists I've ever seen. And I hope they toss those two in jail someday. I think they hurt race relations far more then they help it. You know those two jackasses came down here during the whole Duke Lacrosse thing and spewed their racially charged garbage against those kids. But have NEVER returned to appologize when the truth came out. What a couple of scumbags. Obama steers clear of that, fights against that kind of stuff, and race won't be an issue for me.

I've been a Republican since I registered to vote upon becoming eligible way back in 1972. But I cannot vote for McCain for many of the reasons that SW03ES has already listed. But the most critical McCain drawback to me is that he has no clue concerning how domestic economics much less global economics work and that is primarily the skill required at this point (along with getting us the hell out of Iraq) to begin restoring this country to our previous position as the best and most respected in the world (a moniker long since obliterated by WPE and his cronies). Throw Sarah Palin into the mix and you have one of the most disasterous presidential tickets I've ever seen - the late-night talk show hosts are in absolute paradise right now and man, can Tina Fey nail Palin. She's as good doing Palin as Frank Caliendo is doing WPE....

But I also have difficulty with Obama. He's brighter and smarter than WPE and McCain combined (granted, I know the two of them set an awfully low bar), but his lack of experience is definitely a valid chalk mark against him. But the choice of Biden as VP helps Obama in this instance, and I believe that there is a very real possibility that Biden will assume the presidency due to the Obama assassination factor that cannot be discounted regardless of how many Secret Service guys they glue to Obama's hip 24/7. Obama greatly helped himself with his VP choice whereas McCain clearly didn't think it through beyond the initial public interest bounce and wound up pandering as usual....

So I'm in a quandary. All I can say at this point is that there is no way in hell that I can vote for McCain. I firmly believe that the election remains Obama's to lose, and he's too smart to blow it all by himself. The infamous Republican garbage-spewing machine will continue to look for anything they can find or manipulate to Swift-Boat him, but I think he'll manage to survive that because this country now realizes that without a true regime change the day-to-day lives of most Americans will continue to get worse, not better. There's no question that Obama is going to have to get tougher and meaner in a hurry to fight off the smear attacks, and he's shown stronger evidence of being able to do that this week.

I don't think that we should forget that McCain is forced to wear Bush like an anchor regardless of how much distance his campaign is now trying to put between the two. McCain cannot go back into history now and change the support in words and deeds that he has previously shown for the current administration. That, more than Obama's actions and reactions, dooms McCain come November 4th. He reminds me of the ghost of Jacob Marley, and nothing he does, says, or tries can release those chains and free him in the public's eyes between now and then....

And nc211, you're right on the money with your comments about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. My dream day would be to have Bush, Jackson, and Sharpton with me in a locked, empty room for just five minutes. The winner would be the last one standing and able to unlock and open the door and then step out of the room. Man, what I wouldn't give for that opportunity....

My wife and I are supporting Obama both with our votes and with multiple contributions to his campaign after finding through careful study that Obama's political views match our views more closely than do the views of any other candidate.

It seems odd how I have gradually moved from supporting Republicans to supporting Democrats over my 37 years of voting. I think some of it has to do with my study of history -- I nearly became a history teacher. Maybe some of it is because my wife and I have traveled widely and have had many fascinating political discussions with the locals in many countries. Maybe it is because my wife and I enjoy knowing people of diverse backgrounds and cultures in the U.S.

It seems odd how some of the most rabid Republicans I know are so fearful -- fearful of non-English speakers, !Removed!, people of different religions, people who have different ideas and values. Their idea of travel outside the US is to go to a resort inhabited by Americans or to go on a structured tour with other Americans. My idea of foreign travel is to "wing it" and spend as much time as possible meeting and talking with the locals.

There was even something on the news this morning about this -- correlating that fearful people tend to be towards the political right and that fearless people tending to be towards the political left and that their might even be a genetic predisposition for this fearful/fearless spectrum. It is obvious to me that both political parties are aware of this -- Republicans tend to pander to "fear"; Democrats tend to pander to "hope".

I like to think that the reason we are supporting Obama is that we are highly educated and informed. But maybe we are just genetically predisposed to vote for Obama! ;)

I heard the best quote yet the other day regarding the two contenders ages and experience.

"One should have been President 8 years ago, the other should be President in 8 years".

The experience issue is a very valid concern. My take on it however is what is the value in having someone youthful and excited about the job, and having someone who gets people here and abroad excited about America again, especially today, and how is that value coupled with the value of having someone who has a lot of executive experience? The president's role is two fold, one as a figurehead and one as an administrator and I'm thinking right now, in this world, the figurehead is more important.

He's shown by picking Biden that he's going to surround himself with people who are experienced and know what they are doing and won't be afraid to advise him based on what their experience is telling them which helps me a lot with the experience issue.

I'm thinking right now, in this world, the figurehead is more important.

In light of this week's historical economic activity, I couldn't agree with you more on that statement Steve. Although I think we're getting on the right path to recovery, I think the value of the dollar is in pretty dangerous waters, and will continue to be there for quite some time. When they've got to turn on the money making machines to print more greenbacks to cover the bills, all it does is flood the currency markets and devalue it's strength. Having a president that is warmly accepted by the international community, has real value that can help. I think that characteristic alone, might of just made up my mind.

Plus, I want the jobs back here in the US. After seeing the wonderful quality of China's products over the past 18 months, I want our manufacturing capability back here, in our own house. In fact, some could say it's a matter of national security. Led in baby toys, toxic power used to make plastics showing up in baby formula "to trick the protein tests", eschema showing up from the fabrics in thier furniture... They've got deadly problems over there. Not to start a bush bashing, but I think it was absolutely stupid to ship the blue colar jobs over there, and then tell the workers here to go sign up for classes at their local community colleges to learn a different skillset, was just horribly stupid, and clearly has failed, as evidenced by small-town America disappearing.

So to answer this thread's question..... I am.

I'm having a very touph time with this. My wife and I discuss this over dinner almost every evening. It just seems for every pro there is an equal con to negate it in both Obama and McCain. I'm really hoping the debates will shed some light on some of the issues and how they plan on going about handling it.

On a personal side note, I really feel like the entire Senate and Cheifs of Staff and both the Democratic and Republican parties have seriously let down the american people. I'm not just talking about the financial disaster we are facing right now, but the entire bogged down, do nothing, finger pointing fat pigs that have been allowed to overrun the system for years now. Everyone of them should be made to stand on a podium and explain themselves and apologize. This huge economic cess pool, the international strains, and national moral, and no one to blame. No one to step up and ever take responsibility. And the tax payer has another bill to pick up so they can keep thier cushy jobs and our unemployement rate goes up, gas prices go up, food prices goes up. Enouph. I say it's time for a "clean up" crew to go thru and clean house. We need some people up there to just do the right thing for a change. Even if it's not popular.

I don't know a single politian that is in touch with the american people. Not any of them. They should make a capped salery or around 60K a year. Let them figure out how to get the kids to day care and make it to the office by 8 like the rest of us. they should all be made to drive thier own cars. and pay for the same gas they make us pay for. How can any of them understand any of that with out facing day after day after day with nothing but even bigger problems on the horizon?

I'm almost to the point that they shoud do away with Democratic and Republican parties both. All it has done is devide the houses. All we ever get is blaming the other party for how it is, and when the Democrats are running things, the Replicans work against them to prove thier point. And vice versa. Isn't there enouph forces at work against us with out us doing it to ourselves?

To be honest, I don't think it will really matter if Obama or McCain make it into office. Obama is going in there and going to get played like a Tama drum set at a Rush concert. And rich boy McCain is going to need a math tutor and translator by his side at all times. The president these days is just a front person. Change ans all the campaign promises are only words they use to get back into power, because it will still be the Democrats against the Republicans fighting like 2 6 year olds in a playground over a stick of bubble gum. Even though the bell has rung, and all the kids are back in the classroom.

I think we should make Google our senate, Starbucks our House, and elect Howard Goldstien to run it all. :)

You know what I don't understand about this election, is where are the indi's? Where's Ross Perot? There's no dark-horse. As divided as this country is, and the fact that our two choices are as equally flawed as they are skilled, you'd think an indipendent canidate would thrive in this kind of environment. If that party could produce a decent canidate, they'd probably have a strong running. Not one that looks like they just rolled out of bed or bar, like Ralph Nadar. Where are the indi's?

I wish Ross Perot was back, I voted for him last time and would do so again.

Like was said before niether of these candidates are capable for the job. I was always attracted by McCain, but now he's over the hill and does not seem to be the same spark he had a few years ago.

Obama is doing something I have already seen before, telling the people what they want to hear and wooing the masses with his charm. I don't know why but there's something about him I just can't swallow.( Reminds me of Castro.)

So now I have no idea who I'm going to vote for, still very undecided. Like Smooth said we need a good leader to unite our country and stop this stupid childsplay.

Both of the parties have made it a LOT harder for an independent candidate to capture any part of the vote whatsoever. Its almost impossible to get on the ballot...and forget about debates.

Plus with Obama's unbelievable ability to raise money you'd have to have someone extremely rich...and willing to squander that wealth only to loose. I wouldn't do it.

Like was said before niether of these candidates are capable for the job.

Why not?

And specifically what about Obama? To compare him to Fidel Castro...thats a pretty big statement I would hope you have some logic behind that.

Ok, maybe I'm a little harsh, but he makes me feel like has something up his sleeve. It's something about all the promises he's making, it's just to much to swallow. He's overdone it.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe he can come through with some of the things he's said.

And McCain just seems to me that he's just going to be a figurehead without anything really substantial. He'll take over from Bush and things will continue just like they are now.

It's just my opinion.

Perot? He's even further over the hill than McCain. Perot recently turned 78 and has been replaced by his son in running the Perot businesses. My favorite statistic about old H. Ross is that it was documented that he visited the Nixon white house more often than any other human being. Ol' Ross got his big start by getting the government contract to do all the processing for Medicare in the late 60's - it was a gold mine. Ross is just one more guy that made it big feeding at a government teet.

Remember Perot's pick for his VP? James Stockdale got so confused during a vice presidential debate in 1992 that he started babbling incoherently -- it was so sad and pathetic to watch. Stockdale finally died a few years ago of Alzheimer's disease. Yeah, Ross is one sharp guy.

• 2 weeks later...

My thinking after last week's activity is this: Anyone trying to get re-elected, won't get my vote, from the top down, period. 10% approval rating in congress should say enough. And the absolute childish antics that went on during the bail-out proposal votes, simply makes me sick to think THOSE are the kind of adults representing this country. If they're in now, I surely hope they're not come election time. I'm 10000% on board to throw the dust up in the air completely and see where it settles. Anything's got to be better than what we've been seeing over the past few months and years from these people. Peolosi, what a freakin' joke, on all levels!