Would You Do It Again?

lgb0250

I've got a 2006 Toyota Avalon that I will be getting rid of this fall. Has 43K on it and has never seen the shop. Been a great car. Gets 28mpg combo driving. The only reason we're getting rid of it is because it will have about 60K on it by the end of the year and that's when we usually change vehicles.

We've seriously considered an ES350 or another Avalon. Considering what I've read in this forum, would you go out and buy another 350 tomorrow or consider something else?? I've always wanted a Lexus and am interested in your responses. Thanks.

YES no doubt....

I love love love my 2008 ES 350 Ultra Lux-ML stereo-nav, etc....

No problems for me. I was going to buy a volvo s80 or Infiniti M35 than for the hell of it, I went into local Lexus dealer --few days later --drove away.

the whole experience was my best ever from the salesman to pickup and my first service when i had blow out from a sharp object on a back tires side.

Test drive it, check all out before buying. Think the 2008's are a lot less problematic than 2007's.

good luck!

No, I would spend the extra and upgrade to the GS line! But, that is my personal preference. My recommendation is to test drive both vehicles before you buy (ES vs. GS).

Also, I saved a TON of cash by purchasing ours preowned.

I've got a 2006 Toyota Avalon that I will be getting rid of this fall. Has 43K on it and has never seen the shop. Been a great car. Gets 28mpg combo driving. The only reason we're getting rid of it is because it will have about 60K on it by the end of the year and that's when we usually change vehicles.

We've seriously considered an ES350 or another Avalon. Considering what I've read in this forum, would you go out and buy another 350 tomorrow or consider something else?? I've always wanted a Lexus and am interested in your responses. Thanks.

I have a 2007 with about 28k on the odo next week it will be 2yr old, Knowing what I now

know about them if I was in the market today for a new car I would not by one, And the

main reason I say this is because the quality is way below what it should be for a Toyota

product and the price range.

Also from what I here the 08s are not much better but in the end its you that has to live with

the car so I would suggest reading the forum's on the competition also and see what their

owners have to say, I know thats what im going to do on my next purchase.

Just got my first Lexus three days ago. I LOVE IT! Test drove an Acura TL prior to the Lexus ES350. The salesman at the Lexus dealership laughed when I said I had just driven an Acura TL. He then confidently told me that I not buy the Acura after I drove the ES. He was right. If this car continues to please, I would definitely do it again.

I spent a year considering all options in this price range and even higher. I finally bought an '08 ES 350 w/UL package a month ago.

The car is more than I even expected. The fit and finish is incredible (and I'm VERY picky), it's solid as a rock with no rattles, engine and tranny are smooth and powerful, it's dead quiet (in a good way!) and just oozes luxury. Every knob on the dash even feels of high-quality. While not intended to be a sports sedan, it handles much better than I had anticipated, a pure joy to drive.

I have had Toyotas in the past that lasted up to 13 years and 180,000 miles with no repairs other than standard maintenance. The 08 ES has been absolutely perfect in in every detail, getting 28MPG combined and 32MPG on the highway. I would definitely buy another one and highly recommend it.

I can't wait to take a long road trip in this beauty!

lgb, I just got my 08 ES UL in December after 6 months of research (yep, I am anal when spending money on a car). I looked at the Toyota Avalon (along with the Infiniti, BMX, Cadillac, Acura, MB, etc.). The Avalon is a nice car! If you need back seat room and don't care about the Nav systems, Avalon could be a better choice for you. But, as you can tell, I bought a Lexus. I would buy my Lexus again. There are some complaints but just minor. I love the inside, the quiet and the comfort of the ES. I think that the ES has this over the Avalon. Good luck in your decision.

• 1 month later...

I leased a 2005 ES330 and leased a 2008 ES350 last Dec.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have bought the 2005 at the end of the lease.

The 2005 was a flawless car and was one of the most enjoyable I have ever had.

While the 2008 is an improvement in many areas, the one I got has an annoying tapping noise (piston slap) in the engine when it is cold and the transmission doesn't always shift smoothly when the engine is cold. These two issues make me uneasy about buying this one. Hopefully, over time, these issues will be resolved but right now....

I'm on my second ES (although it's a 2005, the one before that was a 2001)....and I would definately consider the current generation when the time comes (probably get a 2010 in 2012 is my guess).

Drive the ES 350 & compare it to your Avalon (which I also considered) and you'll understand. Good luck with your decision. B)

:cheers:

I like my car....if i had to get rid of it tomorrow for some unforseen reason....i would buy an Acura, Honda product...not that this car is bad....just we have drove Honda's with no issues ever. Wife got an Acura MDX and the feel is tight and secure and again, never an issue. I had the classic tranny issue with mine....lexus replaced it with no questions asked which was great...but what does the future hold? i have approx 3 yrs left on warranty then im on my own. After 30,000 kms i can feel my car getting loose. i baby it. I dont get the same feeling out of the Honda's or Acura till well over 100,000km's. Demand pretty much says it all. Grandpa's sells cars at 86 yrs old still. he cant keep the Honda's on the lot or get enough of them at the auctions. he has many oppertunties to buy es350 even with UL packages and less then half the price of a new one up here in Canada.

Dont get me wrong...i do like my car...just think next time around i will concider something else first out of the bag.

• 5 months later...

No! My 2007 Es350 was wrecked at 1900 miles. The Lexus body shop performed the worst repair (six months they had it with many returns). Still isn't fixed properly. This is part of the Lexus experience. The body integrity is very poor. Parts not related to the accident are loose and poorly fitted. One of the major complaints I have with this care is the ergonomics. Many of the controls are not lighted at night (light switches, overhead switches, cruise control, etc) $300 steering wheel option with controls that aren't lighted, what a joke! When returning home at night you can't find the garage door opener. Interior lighting is unsat. Not good for a near luxury care.

I traded in my '05 Acura TL for an '09 ES350. The TL was just back breaking. Way too hard of a ride. And the front end was so low, almost every driveway I entered caused the front end to scrape (I know one day it would fall off).

The ES has a living room drivers seat. I notice a little wind noise from the left side mirror, but this car is silent compared to the TL.

If you want luxury, go for the ES.

I drove my wife's 2004 RX330 the other day and I could not believe how noisy it was. I didn't say anything (LOL).

Pete

I just picked up my 2009 ES and I love it, have 3 weeks now.

I had a 2002 ES300 before this and it to was a great car, had it for 7 years and about 89,000 miles. I test drove the Infininti G35, Caddy CTS, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Mamium, Lincoln MKZ and MKS, the Lexus was the best of all of them. If I were you I would go for the extra bucks and get the Lexus you will not be be sorry.

I have 09 ES 350 Level III, and without a doubt I would buy again. This car is simply awesome!! Elegant, luxurious, refined and has a high quality build. The buying experience was second to none. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a good mid-size luxury vehicle. I looked at cars for 1.5 years before buying. I looked at the Infiniti M, Acuru TL, CTS, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota XLE, Mercedes C class, BMW 3 class and Audi 4/6. I chose the ES after careful study. I studied reviews from multiple sources, talked to owners of all the models listed above and looked at reliability profiles of each vehicle. Test drove them and studied body design and integrity. It's unfortunate that some folks did indeed have trouble with their ES, but this car is made to last. I looked at other forums of the luxury models listed above and if you think that simply by switching over to a different model will solve your problem, then I say its a gamble at best. All the above listed vehicles have owners that are crying the blues. :cries:

There has never been a situation where every car built was "bullet-proof perfect" out of the gate, it just doesn't happen. However, we do have have reliable data available to us from JD Power that gives us a reliability rating that simple says, 'here are the best cars that are built and have the least amount of defects out of the gate'. Do you know which car has been #1 in reliability for the last 14 yrs? Give up? Lexus. The data is actually taken from real owners who have owned the ES or Lexuses for at least 3 yrs. Lexus beats all the competition. I saw a video of Lexus manufacturing in Japan, I couldn't believe how meticulous they are. I was sold. The newer cars have a lot more electronics, sensors and software in them that control everything to engine dynamics, gas flow, transmission ratios, to occupant body profiles. There is no question when you add lots of software to any product, there will be bugs, think about a $30 million fighter jet F-22, although the cost is through the roof, there are still problems after delivery. I realize this is a long spill and by now you know I'm a Lexus man :P When I consider all the plus and minuses, Lexus comes out #1 hands down Cheers... :D

I have owned 3 Lexus vehicles and each time I get a new car, I have the intention of getting something else just to mix things up a bit.

Every time I start doing the research, driving the competition, reading the reviews, comparing prices for what you get, I end up back in a Lexus...

Good luck in your search!