What A Mazda3 Tranny Fluid Looks Like

nc211

Mazda "Ford" transmissions in the Mazda 3 are hard on the fluids. Several owners on the forum are reporting brownish fluids within 10k miles, and are switching out the oem with Mobile 1 full synthetic fluids. I did this yesterday, and you wouldn't believe how horrible the fluid was! It was black as midnight, and close to a burnt smell. Thought I'd throw some pictures up of the project. The difference between the old fluid and the new synthetic is astonishing! Unlocked the car's zoom zoom.

Additionally, I've included pictures of my new ramps I made last weekend. I had those plastic Rhinos, but got sick and tired of them slinging across the garage floor when I backed down, slamming the car to the ground. The Lexus being rear wheel drive, would push them forward and made it very tricky to use. In fact, I simply quit using them altogether. They sucked. But these new ones, which cost $16 bucks, are nothing more than a 10 foot wood board at 2x10 measurements, cut down to sizes and connected with simple wood screws. They are perfect, don't slide one bit, easy to get up and down, and offer a lot of tire sitting space. They're not that heavy either.

post-15797-1207584354_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584385_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584395_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584412_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584431_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584443_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1207584454_thumb.jpg

I also like your ramps - great idea with a very clean and simple design. Bet they'll outlast the car....

I assume that the original fluid was the familiar pinkish-reddish color when new. If so, the transformation to a nasty brown/black goo in less than 20,000 miles is a real shame. Let's hope that the Mobil 1 synthetic will hold up far longer. Your drained fluid photos make the notorious transmission failure problems in a number of 1999/2000 RX300 AWD models smell like roses....

What is the recommended transmission fluid change interval posted in your Owners Manual? I'm just wondering if Mazda acknowledges that this is an issue and calls for frequent transmission fluid changes as a result....

If your having that much of an issue, I would strongly consider a tranny cooler. $150.00 might save alot of wear and tear on the tranny and make the fluid last alot longer.

Thanks DC! It took about half a dozen to come up with the idea, which was a true "duh" moment for me. However, no beers during construction, as I like my fingers and respect the power of my table saw. That sucker doesn't forgive, and seeing as how it can rip some serious wood, would make short work of my fingers. But, it did take another 6 afterwards of sitting at my workbench, watching some tv and admiring my work! :lol: I have no fears now under the car, even ran over them a few times with the 4runner to test for strength and sliding.

The mazda3forum.com site really is quite good, with lots of actual helpful diy stuff on there. This was the first time I'd cleared tranny fluid through a cooler line before, and the first time I've ever dropped a tranny pan "glad I did, it was some nasty stuff in there and on the magnet". With the info from that site, I wasn't that nervous and felt pretty good about it. The only painful part of the project was the cost of the M1 fluid, at about $7 a quart! I bought 11, plus some high temp seleant for the pan. All together, about an $85 project. But, what's $85 bucks for a car, right? Other tranny fluid was available at half the price, but the lexus spoiled me. It's all or nothing, top shelf or no shelf.

Up next: trying to learn how to flush the tranny fluid in the 4runner. It's "sealed" with "lifetime" fluid. But, as any BMW owner or mechanic will tell you, ain't nothin' "lifetime", especially tranny fluid. From what I hear, that Toyota "WS" world standard fluid is expensive as heck. It should be an interesting process. The Mazda is like tinkering with a remote controlled car, in comparison to the tank-built 4runner.

Oddly enough, there isn't a mention about the tranny fluids in the manual, other than "check at 15k". It was the redish-pink color at new though. Which is pretty dramatic considering is was so dark I couldn't shine my big boat flash light through it. From what others have posted on the mazda site, the problem seems to be reduced noticably once you've cleared out the oem fluids and replaced it with some good stuff, which is why I caughed up the $80 on the M1 stuff. The drain n' fill proceedure on the car is actually easier than on the LS400. 3 quarts come out, exactly, and the pan is right next to the oil filter housing. So most guys are just doing a drain n' fill at oil change time, and reporting a constant red flow to the fluids.

Some folks on the site report that they've never changed the fluid, with about 40-50k miles. So I'm not sure if it's bad or not. But mine, with 90% city driving, started to have a slite hint of a burnt smell, so I would figure those who haven't changed their fluid will probably start facing problems soon.

Smooth, the guy who taught me how to do this, did it in his thread of adding a cooler to the system. I might give it a shot later on, after I've put some miles on the new fluid and can see how it's held up. The wife is starting to get a little worried that, and I quote, "you're not going to "lexus" that car are you? I can't handle that again." Hahaha...

Little does she know....I'm too far gone to ever return to the Jiffy Lube service routine.

Another little trick I learned: To save your floors from stains, go to lowes or home depot and buy one of those washing machine tubs, and use it as your base under your drain pans. It's pretty wide, easy to slide around, and will catch all spills/splats. Then wipe it up afterwards, and slide it behind a shelf/bench when done. Works great!

Mazda makes a good product. Ford and Mazda are actually good vehicles mechanically. I had a 1996 MAzda B2300 pick up that I bought new, drove it for 162,000 miles over 8 years. Then it became the "shop truck" and another 100K put on it. Never a problem. Only routine maintenances and tires. The cable on the lift gate broke. So I stand corrected. I paid $36 bucks for a new set and replaced them in 15 minutes.

The Mazda 3 has gotten alot of well deserved good reviews. I'm not crazy about the looks of the 3, but that's a personal taste thing. It's good that your doing the tranny fluid and keeping up on the stuff most people ignore. If you plan on having that car for a long time, it's only to your benefit. As for "Lexus-izing" the Mazda, hahahahahaha!!! My wife drives a Volvo S40 turbo. She refused to let me do any work outside of factory replacements and repair for the first 5 years she's owned it. She said she was very happy with it, and wanted it to stay that way. I respected her wishes and did as she requested. About a year ago over dinner she said the Volvo didn't seem as peppy as it used to be. And she was getting hung out to dry going thru this certian road that drops from 3 lanes to 2 lanes about 1/2 mile after a stop light. I told her I would take a look at her car for her. So after going over it, I determined that the car was just getting a bit older, and everything was working fine, maybe it was time for a new car. She refused saying she loves her car. So I said alright, and decided I would dig deeper and take the turbo out and inspect it and make sure it was in good repair. So I took the turbo out, and ( Man was that a tiny turbo! It looks more like a toy turbo than a real one!, So, without geting her permission, I sort of "upgraded" the turbo, and put in an aftermarket air intake system. I cleaned the 02 sensors real good, and replaced the exhaust system. The car was still stock quiet though. MAybe a decibel or two louder, but not noticable. So I took it out for a test drive and at the first stop sign proceeded to light up the front tires!!! Smoked em for about 40 feet and chirped second!! I thought "Oh $hit!!!, that's way too much, she's gonna kill me!" But it was late in the evening and I figured I would back the turbo down a bit for her in the morning and make it more "wife friendly." So I go inside to wash up for dinner and while I was in the shower she came home and grabbed up the keys and took it for a drive. When I got out of the shower, she was already gone. All I could do was grin from ear to ear as she pulled up in the driveway. I didn't say anything. She didn't say anything. We ate dinner talked about our day, and regular business. Nothing was said about the Volvo.

About bedtime she comes over to me and says," Yeah, so about the car." And proceeded to thank me like only a loving wife could!! LOL!! She loves it! She doesn't want me to do anything else to it, but what I did do she says is awsome. She blows by those guys now and takes em to school at the light!! LOL!!! Iv'e had to replace the front tires in 25k miles ! Those were 60k mile tires on there!!! She is thinking rims now, but we'll see. So atleast now I have an understanding spouse. I love it when she braggs to her friends about her car! It's great.

Mazda makes a good product. Ford and Mazda are actually good vehicles mechanically. I had a 1996 MAzda B2300 pick up that I bought new, drove it for 162,000 miles over 8 years. Then it became the "shop truck" and another 100K put on it. Never a problem. Only routine maintenances and tires. The cable on the lift gate broke. So I stand corrected. I paid $36 bucks for a new set and replaced them in 15 minutes.

The Mazda 3 has gotten alot of well deserved good reviews. I'm not crazy about the looks of the 3, but that's a personal taste thing. It's good that your doing the tranny fluid and keeping up on the stuff most people ignore. If you plan on having that car for a long time, it's only to your benefit. As for "Lexus-izing" the Mazda, hahahahahaha!!! My wife drives a Volvo S40 turbo. She refused to let me do any work outside of factory replacements and repair for the first 5 years she's owned it. She said she was very happy with it, and wanted it to stay that way. I respected her wishes and did as she requested. About a year ago over dinner she said the Volvo didn't seem as peppy as it used to be. And she was getting hung out to dry going thru this certian road that drops from 3 lanes to 2 lanes about 1/2 mile after a stop light. I told her I would take a look at her car for her. So after going over it, I determined that the car was just getting a bit older, and everything was working fine, maybe it was time for a new car. She refused saying she loves her car. So I said alright, and decided I would dig deeper and take the turbo out and inspect it and make sure it was in good repair. So I took the turbo out, and ( Man was that a tiny turbo! It looks more like a toy turbo than a real one!, So, without geting her permission, I sort of "upgraded" the turbo, and put in an aftermarket air intake system. I cleaned the 02 sensors real good, and replaced the exhaust system. The car was still stock quiet though. MAybe a decibel or two louder, but not noticable. So I took it out for a test drive and at the first stop sign proceeded to light up the front tires!!! Smoked em for about 40 feet and chirped second!! I thought "Oh $hit!!!, that's way too much, she's gonna kill me!" But it was late in the evening and I figured I would back the turbo down a bit for her in the morning and make it more "wife friendly." So I go inside to wash up for dinner and while I was in the shower she came home and grabbed up the keys and took it for a drive. When I got out of the shower, she was already gone. All I could do was grin from ear to ear as she pulled up in the driveway. I didn't say anything. She didn't say anything. We ate dinner talked about our day, and regular business. Nothing was said about the Volvo.

About bedtime she comes over to me and says," Yeah, so about the car." And proceeded to thank me like only a lovong wife could!! LOL!! She loves it! She doesn't want me to do anything else to it, but what I did do she says is awsome. She blows by those guys now and takes em to school at the light!! LOL!!! Iv'e had to replace the front tires in 25k miles ! Those were 60k mile tires on there!!! She is thinking rims now, but we'll see. So atleast now I have an understanding spouse. I love it when she braggs to her friends about her car! It's great.

Smooth, That's a great story ;) Don't you love it when the wife is happy with the ride :cheers: And the car too... :lol::lol::lol:

Hahaha!!! Zoom Zoom...

I love the fact that you've got the Volvo stop-light racing against Mustangs! Some how, I would think it safe to say, that you'll have the fastest minivan on the block someday!

Funny tie in to volvo on the mazda, it's actually the same frame as the little volvo out there now, and i believe now the ford focus too. the frame realy makes the car. the ride is nice and tight, but not harsh.

It looks like I'm going to be more familiar with these Mazdas... I just got a job at the Mazda/Suzuki dealership here in Fresno. hehe. =P I really love that CX9! :P

Hey, I'm on the mazda3forums also, and yes that fluid was pretty damn dark. I did two drain and fills with Mobil One the past couple of weeks on a friends car. It tends to spurt up and get messy if you don't poor slowly. I love the ramps, I use a simular version for my brothers lowered 350z whenever a driveway is too steep... some people call it scrap wood, i call it a life saver.

Hey, I'm on the mazda3forums also, and yes that fluid was pretty damn dark. I did two drain and fills with Mobil One the past couple of weeks on a friends car. It tends to spurt up and get messy if you don't poor slowly. I love the ramps, I use a simular version for my brothers lowered 350z whenever a driveway is too steep... some people call it scrap wood, i call it a life saver.

dj, are you under the same name over there? I am. I've got you over there, and dens on the 4runner forum. We're taking over the world! hhahaha..

To avoid the burping of the fluids, just fold a paper towel into 4's, and use it like a lid over the top of the funnel. Fill up the funnel and then quickly put the towel over the funnel. You have about 2 - 3 seconds before the first burp. You'll get 3 burps, then do it again. It's super easy on your back too, so you don't have to stand there, in some kind of Yoga voodoo stance for 20 minutes. Also, if you do the 3/8th internal diameter tube approach off the cooler, you can flush the entire car without having to turn a wrench. And when you fill it up with the tube still attached, it won't burp at all, just pour the stuff in. I followed HouRman's thread on how he did it, which is below. I'm towards the end. :cheers:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66369.0;all

Funny I made a set of ramps in 1965 for my dad so we could change the oil on his corvette, yep I still have them, Darn wood ones are so much better, my kids bought some metal ones, and all they did was slide forward with all of these cars I have. So I break out the wood ones and I am up and ready.