Cracked Windshield On 2007 Is250 (unsympathetic Dealership)

The 2007 is250 I purchased about 11 months ago has a cracked front windshield. What is strange is that is that the nick that started it is extremely small and shallow; I don't even remember hearing my car get hit. The little ding has turned into a 12 inch crack. It seems in this case that the cause and effect don't match up. Any thoughts? Is there a trend of defects on these windshields? The dealership was unsympathetic. Their statement was "we can not be liable in this matter" without even seeing the damage. Thanks

it really isn't thier problem... you could've patched the lil bullseye or nick before is started to spread. It would be like holding them liable if someone threw a rock through your windshield the same day you got the car home... sure it sucks.. but its your problem. Hopefully you've got glass coverage on your insurance...

temperature changes cause those lil things to turn into huge problems as the glass contracts and expands, not to mention your car is in motion, flexing, and being hit with 70mph winds on a daily basis.

Your insurance company is supposed to cover that free of charge in most cases. In other words I don't think your deductible applies to replacing it. I would call them and find out what the policy is.

Im not sure what you expect from the dealer. Certainly if the glass was defective, they should do something. But--glass breaks some times. If a tree fell on you car, the dealer wouldn't take care of it for free--this is no different. Call your insurance co.

Small nicks in the windshield can quickly turn into cracks. That's why many insurance companies will have a nick epoxied at no cost to the insured even if the insured has a deductible on their comprehensive coverage.

A small nick can quickly turn into a long crack even if the nick is epoxied. A dealership is not going to be responsible for glass breakage.

Maybe a kid threw a rock at your windshield when it was parked or shot a BB or pellet gun at it. There is no way of telling how it happened if you were not in the car when it did.

I once had a windshield on my first LS400 severely nicked while driving on I-35 on the west side of Kansas City with no other cars around me. It made quite a bang and I suspect it was caused by someone shooting a pellet gun.

A coworker had the windshield in his 99 LS400 cracked yesterday on I-35 by a rock on his way to work. $#It happens.

Small nicks in the windshield can quickly turn into cracks. That's why many insurance companies will have a nick epoxied at no cost to the insured even if the insured has a deductible on their comprehensive coverage.

A small nick can quickly turn into a long crack even if the nick is epoxied. A dealership is not going to be responsible for glass breakage.

Maybe a kid threw a rock at your windshield when it was parked or shot a BB or pellet gun at it. There is no way of telling how it happened if you were not in the car when it did.

I once had a windshield on my first LS400 severely nicked while driving on I-35 on the west side of Kansas City with no other cars around me. It made quite a bang and I suspect it was caused by someone shooting a pellet gun.

A coworker had the windshield in his 99 LS400 cracked yesterday on I-35 by a rock on his way to work. $#It happens.

Glass replacement is usual no charge thru insurance. I can tell you that this vehicle apparentl because of the slope of the windshield seems to get more then it's fair share of rock hits on the windshield, and I really avoid driving near trucks.

Glass replacement is usual no charge thru insurance.

No, it depends on whether you have a deductible on your comprehensive coverage. My co-worker who had his LS400 windshield cracked by a rock last week has a $100 deductible on comp coverage -- it was his very first day with a new insurer and he told me that his new insurance agent was not pleased.

My wife and I have zero deductibles on comprehensive coverage since there is little savings in going with a higher deductible - at least at our rather high ages. However, I have a very high deductible on collision -- the maximum allowed -- since I have never (knock on wood!) had an at-fault accident in my 42 years of driving and maintain a reserve fund for losses to both cars and real estate. My wife has a lower deductible on collision coverage since she seems to run in to all sorts of things -- walls, concrete pillars, etc.

Lots of glass installers will waive the $100. Many will come to your house or workplace and install the windshield. It's really not a big deal.

That's what I thought also. Here in Florida, I hear on the radio all the time this glass company gives you a free box of steaks and waives the deductible. :lol:

I had an extremely small crack on my windshield last year, and one day I came outside and the crack had spread to a 3 foot crack. So I got the windshield replaced and I did have to pay the deductible, but it was better than paying over $1,000 myself for a new windhsield. I asked about having the company come to my house or where I work, but they would only do it in their shop because of the rain-sensing windshield.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel you on this one..

On my daily morning commute to work last year, a a rock came out of nowhere and chipped my windshield. Seemed pretty minor at the time. By the time I got off work, it had spread into a 2 foot crack.

I feel your pain... I got one shortly after picking up my IS. I was on the highway and took a wrong turn and had to back track a bit, and that was when I got a rock chip. I took it to the glass shop to get it filled right away, and so far it hasn't spread (over a year now.)

I hear that if you have rain sensing systems, the windshields are ridiculously expensive to replace. Is that true?

• 1 month later...

I had my 2006 IS250 for about 6 months when a 3 inch crack developed in the upper right corner near the c-pillar. It was obvious there wasn't an initial chip that started the crack, and the crack was straight and angled through the glass indicating it was a stress crack caused by improper installation. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

I feel your pain... I got one shortly after picking up my IS. I was on the highway and took a wrong turn and had to back track a bit, and that was when I got a rock chip. I took it to the glass shop to get it filled right away, and so far it hasn't spread (over a year now.)

I hear that if you have rain sensing systems, the windshields are ridiculously expensive to replace. Is that true?

YES, that is a fact. I required the gentleman I purchased our '07 ES 350 from to have the "rain sensing" windshield replaced and he claimed it through his insurance b/c it came to a total of $1,500 and the glass company would ONLY replace it at the dealership b/c of the rain sensors - YIKES! He had a $250 comprehensive deductible and did have to pay it.