The Great Oil Change Discussion

The Owner's Manual will specify (and who better to specify than the guys who designed and built your vehicle?) a UPI standard and grade for your climate. As long as the UPI specification required is met by the product you select, you can guarantee that:

- the Warranty will not be voided...

and

- the Engine will be protected...

What more do you want from an engine oil?

Be very cautious with products that do not obtain certification. In the unlikely event that you have a lube-based warranty claim, you will be on your own if the oil were not certified. A certified oil, regardless of price, will have the UPI standards shield on it stating which standards it meets.

I actually run the cheapo wal-mart brand full synthetic because it not only meets UPI spec, but it also meets the even more stringent ACEA standards that europe uses. It may be inexpensive, but it uses the same base stocks that the other manufacturers use, and they went the extra step of having their product analyzed and certified to meet multiple industry standards.

As I touched on above, this lubrication question is important to us and to Lexus. They give much thought to their lubrication recommendations and despite what conspiracy theorists think, Lexus does not want your engine siezing up.

If there were a product head-and-shoulders above all the others, they would specify it...guaranteed.

Summary:

1. Follow manufacturer change intervals.

2. Use certified products of the correct grade for your climate.

3. Use a quality filter.

4. If Lexus doesn't do your service, keep a record of who, what and when.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't take any vehicles to any quick lube places. even my (now destroyed) old winter car always went to the dealership. why? the dealer would only charge ~$5-8 more to change the oil...that includes free snacks/drinks (if you like that type of thing) and a free cab ride to work if i don't want to wait.

of course, lexus will charge a lot more...but if they cross-thread the drain plug or screw up the car, i also know they can fix it or be held accountable.

anyone ever take their IS to jiffy lube? If so, how was the experience? I've taken my other cars there, but I don't know about my 350...

Looks like I'm gonna have to pretend I'm in high school and start doing my own oil changes again...now, where did I put my wrenches...

they broke my engine cover.... $750.00 to replace....

The plastic cover between the hood and the engine? Wow, that's expensive. Did you consider going without it?

WHAT?

This is a Lexus, not a VW Van, Man! Hypocrisy! Heresy! :D

Err...umm...I mean, did you look into upgrading to the wood panel engine cover?!

Just couldn't get myself to take the IS to Jiffy Lube or any place like that. An excellent "how to" on these threads on the oil change. It's really pretty easy, easier than my Subaru. Or take it to a mechanic you can trust. But not Jiffy Lube...my .02.

Jeez. I get nervous just driving by Jiffy Lube in my IS350!

I figure I paid a premium price for a car (compared to the Pontiacs I used to drive) so I'll follow through and pay a premium price for service at the Lexus dealership. Not a bad place to hang out while waiting for an oil change. The car has been so trouble free I don't get to go there much though.

John

For me it's never been a question, for any of my cars. I do it all myself. (except warrentee work that obviously is good to have the dealer do.) But I also think that we are more the exception to the rule. For most people, it's about convenience, time, and with alot of people who live in condos or apartments and don't have a garage, or place to do it, then the Jiffy lubes and Mobile Lube type places are the only realistic alternative to going to the overpriced dealer. For those people, heres my advice:

Learn for yourself the steps to doing an oil change. It only takes a little of your time that you mostly spend staring at a cumputer screen anyway, while your there, look up a "How to". Heck, we have one here at the top of the forums labeled in the "How to's". I can't tell you how many people I talk to that don't have any idea on what to do. I'm not saying do an oil change, just learn what one is and the steps that are needed, and why your doing it. Once you have that, go to what speed lube place you choose, and get out of your car and watch them. Just watch them drain the oil, pull the oil filter, put in the new one, retighten the drain plug, and refill it with oil. You can even check the dipstick yourself if you would like. Then pay them and move on. What else is there? And don't let them sell you a bunch of other crap you don't need.

the real question is...what to do with the USED oil...is there a charge for taking it somewhere to be dumped?

You can take it to any auto parts store like Discount or Auto Zone. They all do it for free.

You can take it to any auto parts store like Discount or Auto Zone. They all do it for free.

Most neighborhood service/gas stations have the used oil tank outside on the side of their garage bays. I used to talk to the attendant and they would let me dump my oil (no charge). Most attendents could care less. Lately I've just been walking with authority right up to the tank, and I have never had anyone even look at me.

Someone once told me anyplace that sells oil HAS to take used oil, even if purchased the oil somewhere else. But this may only apply here in Northern Virginia, or maybe even 100% urban legend.

Someone once told me anyplace that sells oil HAS to take used oil, even if purchased the oil somewhere else. But this may only apply here in Northern Virginia, or maybe even 100% urban legend.

I'm sure you are correct that it varies state-to-state. We are the same as you here in Utah.

If you sell oil, you have to accept oil for recycling, even if it wasn't bought from there.