The Great Oil Change Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

What's the saying?....teach a man to fish...

Google Amsoil New York. You'll find a dealer who is somewhat close to you I'm guessing. You can go there or have it shipped.

The internet is a wonderful thing.

You're high on the Amsoil huh?

Where should I be ordering Amsoil and the filter from? I have an 07 IS 250

I would hope you would maybe want to support our vendors on this site and buy from our Amsoil dealer right here. John seems like a great guy, and he has a very nice website set up. Just go to our home page and click on forums, he has the big Amsoil banner you can just click on that.

• 6 months later...

I was pressured to use full synthetic oil for an oil change versus the normal conventional 5W30 the last time. The guy says it's better and can extend the change interval. It's about double the price though!

Any others switching over? I don't think I'll continue using full synthetic but will make sure I stick to the oil change intervals though. Or are there thoughts to use full synthetic in the winter months only?

I'm driving 07 IS250.

I'm trying to change the engine oil and not pretty sure about the details on oil change,

Can I use just regular 5W-30 engine oil at every 3000 miles?

or Do I have to use the SYNTHETIC OIL?

If I were using Synthetic oil, how often do I change the oil?

Also, where in the car can I find the indication on the oil usage or next time I have to change the oil?

And how many quarts of oil do I have to put in for IS250?

Please let me know....=)

THanks,

1. Yes you can use regular 5w-30 and change every 3000 miles.

2. No you do not HAVE to use synthetic oil, I do, with better performance , better engine protection, and the ability to extend the interval up to 15,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 and change every 5000 miles.

3. My car has a service function in the nav unit, you can simply use your trip odometer if your car doesn't have that option(read your owners manual)

4. the first time I changed the oil in my car I was unsure of the amount too, so I only put in four qurts and then checked the oil level after I started the engine for a moment and shut it off to find out i was a quart low, now I simply buy the five quart jug from walmart...

yes the oil interval function along with a lot of others tires filter trans service and several others you can set up for whatever you want. might pay off to sit in the car for a couple hours playing with all the buttons and stuff, even more helpful find an inquisitve teen and let them at it, they can figure this stuff out in no time. my son (14) had just about figured everything about mine after buying it in the cities in the 2 hour drive home. BTW on my unit there is a INFO button that takes you to a SERVICE menu...although mine being an 02 its prob diff than yours

• 1 month later...
This should probably be a pinned message if it was already answered.

I know mechanics will tell everyone not using premium gas wont hurt the engine, but it will knock like crazy.

Is anyone here NOT using premium gas?

Is 89 octane good enough?

The ECM is designed to detune the car in the case of lower octane gas. It should not knock or cause engine damage. However, don't expect to have the same power. It could be a surprise when passing or merging onto the freeway. You'll probably still be able to out-drag a Yugo but watch out for the Volt. :P

It won't hurt your car, but will probably hurt your mpg. So the $$ you save per gallon will probably be lost in lower mpg.

Do the math--it's like $100 extra per year if you drive an avg amount. Why pay $10K more than the avg sedan price, and balk at $100/year in gas?

I feel that I am just spending $.10 per gallon for nothing.

I California, we pay a minimum of .20 per gallon for 91 octane. I have not seen anything higher than 91 here, but it's possible it may be at a few special stations.

More than likely, the price for premium is .25 more, but I usually buy at Costco because this is the cheapest.

My wife drives 25 miles one way to work, so we will be spending more than $100 a year extra on premium. I'm hoping she wont have to fill the tank more than once a week.

• 2 months later...
Is there a reason why a dealer charge $175 + tax for an oil change?!

I paid it once at 5000 miles for my IS350 but I don't want to do it again.

I could put synthetic oil somewhere else and still not even pay half of that!

Should I stay with the dealer for the oil change because of warranty issues or should I go somewhere else?

I hate the fact that they taking advantage of the situation.

i live in dallas and have families all over texas (san antonio, houston, austin), i checked for a quote at every city and somehow they all gave me different pricing in every single locations. i found that san antonio was the most peaceable price. i try to time my visit to my brother's when i need to change my oil.

moral of the story, check different lexus dealership services around your area.

• 1 year later...

I buy my own oil and filter....Mobil 1 0w30 and toyota filter....$40 then I go to toyota and have them install it and make sure on the service records they put I used a OEM filter and Mobil 1 synthetic oil...they charge me $15 including the tax...so $55 to not get my hands dirty and it hits my carfax for increased re-sell value....YEA BABY!!!!

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Today went in for annual oil change at Lexus dealer (Mobil 1 synthetic) and they will also do value spring and fuel pressure sensor recall work.

I have a new ES350 loaner since they will probably keep car overnight.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased my 08' Is250 which I was leasing. Car has about 54,000 miles. Always taken car of. So I signed up to the forums for tips and such. What do you all recommend gets done to the car? I think theres a 60,000 service or am I wrong?

• 5 months later...

Hi, I just joined. We bought our 08 is250 with 70K two weeks ago. It was a well maintained one owner AWD, and we fell for it instantly.

The forum(s) have been a tremendous help already, and I continue to scour for tips. The first big one was figuring out about resetting the window controls after a battery change. I LOVE this stuff!

As for Mobile 1, I have been a believer for years. I used to haul a trailer with a Tahoe, and would watch the oil temp go up as the oil pressure would drop. Switched to M-1 and the oil pressure would hold no matter how extreme the conditions. Gas mileage increased too. I know this sounds like a pitch, but it's the real deal.

I will be doing most of my own maintenance,The first job will be brake pads (and perhaps rotors), and am shopping tires. Since my wife probably won't be driving over 149 MPH, the priority will be wet traction and road noise.

I probably will be more of a lurker, since there is so much info already posted.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...