Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

9) get the dash LED's converted to white.

OOOOOOOOOOooooooo i wanna do this... but blue..... hard???????? oooooo yes blue..... i want i want... i was just talking yesterday about how the dash colors are !Removed!.... yes i'm so doing this.... well after you tell me how of course ;) lol

Well, it's alot of time consuming work, in that you basically have to pull the whole dash apart. To do the speedo looks easy enouph, but the rest of the cluster and the center console are what make it alot tougher. When I get to this mod, I will be sure to keep you informed. I originally found out that there were some issues with the led conversions. Apparently different colors require different line resistors or you end up just burning them out. But I think they've had enouph time to figure it out now.

Quicker than ever I presume B) What do you want on the menu ? I'll procure and prepare :cheers:

I have a peppercorned/Smoked beef brisket in the slow cooker, Garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes and Spaghetti squash Prima Vera for din 2-nite.

Smoothe my boy, I just now noticed this thread...

I will soon take the time to read it all and see just exactly what you have done with your ride and turbo install... This thread looks like a winner and just by browsing thru it briefly I can see you have a very nice and fast car....Good work bro!!!!!

oohhh, Hhhmmm, let me see,:

Begin, Carciofini Alla Romana- Baby artichokes sauteed in garlic, olive oil, and a white wine with a light mozzarella cover and then baked.

For the main dish, I think Veal Chop Milanesa Ala Casa Bella with a side of Spinach sautee. The wine I think, Ruffino Reserva Decule, and for dessert,, A Banana's Foster Ala mode.

Or anything you decide, I would also trust without question, your selections.

LOL!! Thanks dcfish. Allways a great time!!!!

Smoothe my boy, I just now noticed this thread...

I will soon take the time to read it all and see just exactly what you have done with your ride and turbo install... This thread looks like a winner and just by browsing thru it briefly I can see you have a very nice and fast car....Good work bro!!!!!

Jibby!!!, My bro!! Thanks man.

I could use some help with the tranny. I've been calling around to my local suppliers. And it seems that this isn't going to be an easy fix. ( Is there such a thing?) I have some "I'll call you backs." but nothing solid yet.

and dcfish;

I have a peppercorned/Smoked beef brisket in the slow cooker, Garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes and Spaghetti squash Prima Vera for din 2-nite.

That sounds great. Spaghetti squash Prima Vera sounds awsome!!! I'm really hungry now........

It's starting to look like an auto to manual tranny swap may be in my future. I was thinking of sending the tranny to PFS for upgrading the valves, clutch packs and etc. etc., but then I start thinking maybe just do the swap before the tranny pops and sell it to recoupe some cash. I'd like to stay with the auto, but that doesn't look promising. The TH400?, the T56?, does anyone know of a bolt up auto trans that will hold 600+ torque?

Smoothe, I have seen the TH400 in a few lexus's over the years... That would probably be one choice to consider if you must stick with the auto tranny... It may be a tight fit in an IS300, but first you must find a bellhousing adaptor fit, custom fit and weld the tranny mounts, shorten and customise the driveshaft to mate up with the GM tranny and Lexus/Toyota rear differential... Not so sure if the differential gearing ratios will be good match either.. Ecu tranny codes can be bypassed...

The Powergluide transmission I have seen in the newer Supra's but they are pretty much only track worthy and not considered street worthy applications...

With a smaller car and all that power Smoothe why would you not consider a manual tranny swap? I know the company BoostLogic.com located in Texas can build up your stock tranny to hold more power. Alot of Lexus owners choose that route... Crate and send in your stock tranny and they send it back a week later built up for around $1000-$1500 if I remember correctly...

Smoothe, with a smaller car like the IS300 and all that power you are dishing out why not go with a manual tranny? The Supra 6 speed manual TT trannies would be a really nice complement to your setup... As you know the sky is the limit with the V160 and its 1000hp+ holding capacity..

I too shared the same delema as you do smoothe with the auto tranny's. I first considered the Th400, then the V160 and then the R154, and ended up just building my stock auto tranny to hold 500 to 600hp... Built my auto tranny locally. Still not happy with the untimely shifts at times which you get with all the auto lex trannies.. Shift kit on the way to see if that helps...

Yeah, I've been look at the sprag upgrade, clutch packs and valve bodies, boost the pressure etc. etc. But what concerns me is that I'm at the breaking limit now even with a full auto tranny pro. build. When I talked to them and they heard that the car was making almost 500 ft. lbs. tq. I could hear the concern come out. Very close to the limit. Even when they say 500-600 hp, I think the 600 number is optimistic and grey. I don't want to have to deal with this again. 3 things you have to get right, motor, drivetrain, and suspension. The rest is cake.

I am warming up to the manual tranny idea. I got under the car and took a look. It doesn't seem that the manual swap looks that hard. I may have to custom make a support, but that's fun stuff !!! Are the manual tranny options direct bolt ups?

So, I looked at a Getrag V160, for 4400.00 brand new( OUCH!!! looking for used now.), plus ugrading the clutch, flywheel, custom drive shaft, and regear or change the rearend. Man, sounds like alot of work!!! Looks like no matter what direction I go, unless I keep the stock tranny, I'm customizing the drive shaft and changing the rearend out, or atleast regearing it. Which to be honest, I wouldn't mind that anyway as first gear is almost useless anyway. ( Side note, second gear is starting to slip already, and I have only opened it up once since the install. So Iv'e been staying in vacuume until I figure out what I'm gonna do now. I have a line on a small 98' Toyota Carolla for 1200 bucks, still blows cold air. I might get that and then garage the beast so I can work on it from here on out. The van just cost too much in gas to drive back and fourth.)

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that the tranny build is only a temp answer. I know I'm gonna open the motor and upgrade all the internals later, then port and polish. So the hp is only gonna go up some more later.

So, Jibby, buddy, pal, got any trannies laying around that fit my bill? :rolleyes:

Well Smoothe even to consider a V160 manual swap you will be looking at spending close to 10 grand if you can believe that... With all the parts and assessories you will need including the cost of the tranny itself, all that most likely will break the bank... We've done the cost analyst on Lextreme, and that complete swap using used SC300 manual parts into an SC400 all adds up to the 10 gees including the tranny... The cutouts are even in place and ready for the SC400... I imagine it may even cost more in an IS300 V160 transplant swap.... The R154 is half that much money but can only hold up to 500-600hp from my reads..

So to build your stock auto tranny might be your best cost effecient alternative if you choose to hang around that 500whp limit... Just so you know I toasted my stock tranny about a year ago, went for the re-build, coleen steels, clutch plates, etc.. The tranny has been holding down 550 ft pounds of torque for a year now with no signs of mechanical failure... However, just recently when my car is cold it won't kick down to second gear unless I lay off the gas...Has me worried just a bit... When it is warm it shifts fine... Also under the full nitrous runs sometimes 3rd gear will not kick down at times, it just sticks until I lay off the gas...So I have shifting issues to deal with, probably the ECU codes are being sent to slowly when the rpms race or something... I am going to try out a shift kit...

So Smoothe I don't know what to tell you... I would take a chance and build up your stock tranny for a couple of thousand.. It will hold your current horsepower and torque with a cooler if it is biult with good parts.. If not maybe go for the Th400 or something.... Good luck bro....

787.gif

I know, 10k for the Getrag swap. I did the math this afternoon.....6 speed manual tranny holds a 1000+ hp, with the upgraded clutch kit. Theres an 03' IS300 with that tranny swap done on it, and is that the Tacoma drive shaft fit in there? Looks the same and about right. Same slip joint anyway, but we didn't do the work. Soemone else did, and when he brought it in, they noticed his problem was that the motor and tranny wasn't put on the mounts correctly. So nothing was lining up the way it was supposed to. The shifter was hitting the edge of the column and he was scaring it up trying to jam it into reverse.

Ok, so I'll do the auto tran. bullet proofing. and then save my pennys and do the getrag swap later. When are you getting that shift kit? let me know how that works out. I guess I'll make some calls tomarrow, and get a pallet ready. I'm gonna try to buy that wind up so I can get back and fourth to the shop. Then I'll pull the tranny out and ship it to where ever it is I end up going with.

Oh, and Jibby, the shift issues your having. When you sent the tranny out to do the upgrade, your sure they changed and upgraded the sprags? I've heard alot of places are notorious for not doing that unless they know your gonna check.

I heard Level 10 is a good place, but I called them and they wanted 4400 for the rebuild, and a grand for the custom tc. The tc I don't have a problem with, but 4400??? seems way high. So I'll call PFS and see what they charge. I heard they are the only ones that mill it also. I guess it keeps the shifts smoother. I'll find out more when I talk to them.

:censored: Transmissions....why couldn't they be like GM???????

Smoothe as far as shift kits goes there are a few out there to choose from, the one I am shooting for is a push button shift kit, 1 thu 5...which manually allows you to shift thru the gears by pushing buttons ...Kinda like tripronic in sense...

I forgot the name of this Specific shift kit off the top of my head.. I think it is called the AFT shift kit or something..It cost $350 and can be purchased on line...They claim it specifically designed to fit on all lexus auto trannies... I will probably give it a go in the next month or so... It looks like that deal will solve my current problems... I would only look into it if your shifts start getting untimely.. Are you getting any untimely shifts with your current power output?

I can get back to you with the exact name of this shift kit if your interested...

Yeah, I'm familiar with the shift kits and such. I was just wondering how they would do on these tranny's. I know your on a a different tranny than me. The IS 300 already has the E shift built into the steering wheel. It just doesn't shift at the exact time you push the button. There is about a second of delay. So the reason I asked about your shift kit was to answer my curiosity about maybe what to expect from the e shift on the car now after the tranny rebuild.

It just kinda sucks because I like how smooth the tranny shifts now. And I know that won't be like that after the tranny comes back. So I keep going back to the manual swap and just figuring it out. I'm in no big hurry. Who knows, if I drag my feet, procrastinate, hum and haw, maybe I'll have saved enouph cash to do what I want. It's only money right? I mean Mercedes and BMW have smooth shifting power house trannies with 5 and 6 speed gearing. Why can't I have that on my Lexus??? I know, I know..I'm just doing a little sniveling... LOL!!!

Yeah the Merc AMG trannies would be a real nice swap.. They will break the bank and that is if you can even find one for sale...Secondly the electronics in those trannies are probably to complicated for a swap option, or at the least would be very challenging....

I was thinking about the C6 Vette auto trannies myself as a more likely and doable swap... Those probably don't hold much more then 500whp though... I haven't looked closely into those swaps as of yet.... Those newer Vettes are parted out sometimes and pop at the junk yards every now and then and even on Ebay...

Smoothe, I hear you when you say you will miss the nice shifting that you experience now...Actually my rebuilt tranny shifts decent, but when I upped the line pressure it's got a bit rougher...The slippage between gear is minimal...That clutch plate slippage is what makes the auto trannies shift so smoothly, not the stronger internal parts that they re-build with in most cases...

What I have learned from all this is, is if you know you are going to build a monster car try and build it with a manual tranny for starters...It will save you a ton of money and grief in the long run...

I share in your pain and concerns....

ok, well, I have somewhat of an embarrasing but funny story tell. :blushing:

Let me preface it with, man how the little things can get ya!!!

First, I started having some spark issues. I have been playing with the gaps on the plugs and if you know what you have to go thru to access the plugs and change them, then you know how much work it can be. So, anyway, I was still getting some blow out, and fouling so I opened it up and went from .32 to .24 gap, and figured I just try .18 gapping. Put it all back together and the car ran fine. ( On a side note, I am having an issue with the idle return so I'm still figuring that out.) But the car seemed to run very smooth now.

So off I went and jumped on the toll way and cruised in vacuume to check out the engine cruising operation. So open it up about 1/2 way to just bump it up to boost, and the car started to accelerate, when suddennly the car lost power and started to sputter and bogg down. I took my foot off the accelerator, and the car ran fine, put my foot back in it, and bogg. So I rolled it down the next off ramp, and came to the light. The car was idling just fine, but when the light turned green, and I put my foot on the gas the car would sputter and bogg, and then it just died. So I coasted to the side of the road right across the street from a Racetrac gas station. I have no tools with me, it's 2 pm, so all my freinds are at work, I'm miles from home, and the shop is to far to walk to. This really sucks!!!!

So, I pop the hood, and take a look, and hope maybe on of the hoses just came undone from the turbo, nope all looks great. So I check the top of the motor and make sure the plugs are in and connected, everything is good there also. As I'm checking, a freind of mine rolls up behind me and says " I thought I recognized the car, is everything ok?" I tell him what happened, he offers to give me a lift to the house to get my tools and stuff, and then bring me back.

So we get back and I check the AEM over, all the electrical, then I go over the intake and turbo, everything is good. Then I open the intake up spray some carb cleaner in there and try to start it, and the car wants to start. *!!!! Ah hah!!! the fuel pump? So I take the back seat out, and pull the fuel pump cover out, with the ignition, test it a few times, Hmm, seems to be working ok, so I take it out, and there was the problem. I was out of gas!!!!!!! LOL!!! The gauge still read a 1/4 tank, so I had no way of knowing, but I was just out of gas. When I installed the new fuel pump, I must have bumped the float and sensor arm out of it's proper setting without realizing it. So, I fixed the it and put it back to the correct setting, went to the gas station, put fuel in, and the car started right up. 3 frickin hours !!!!!! and I was just out of gas. I felt soooooo stupid!!! Man. During a time like that everything is running thru your head, every connection every possibilty, frustration and anxiety. And then,,,,,,,,,it very gratefully mind you, turned out to be a false reading gas gauge. :geek:

I killed an S2000 this morning. He pulled up on me as I was working may way thru some slower traffic. When we broke out, he pulled next me, I heard the BWAAAAAAAAA and the I saw his head lights rise up. But that race lasted for less than 500 feet!! I just went half throttle at low boost and pulled out 6 or 7 car lengths and he just gave up. I actually had to put my foot on the brake to let him catch back up again to see if he wanted anymore. LOL,,,, he didn't .

I also have taken out the S2000 last year, apparently the owners think those cars are super fast or something...

Quick race story - I recently went against a clean Saleen Mustang and it was a close race all the way, both cars spinning wheels in all the gears, and I defenitely held my own... Some of those Saleen Mustangs simply rip, this one was a convertable with that roll bar option...Be weary of those Saleens as they can move under full throttle....

Smoothe - Funny story about you running out of gas...Been there done that.....

Yeah man, way to represent!!!!! Mustangs are fast, no question. They really have the gearing worked out. So that really says alot about your car. Nice bro. Nice. I have yet to confront one, but I'm sure it will come. I need to get the tranny squared away first though.

I also have taken out the S2000 last year, apparently the owners think those cars are super fast or something...

Yeah, what's up with that??? I know he had a CAI, and exhaust system on it atleast. But I don't know that I even needed the turbo for that. I think stock, I could have taken him. ( But I have to say that to CRUSH his hopes was nice.) :D He literally just gave up after a few hundred feet. LOL!!!

Smoothe - Funny story about you running out of gas...Been there done that.....
LOL..... sorry, but it's a little bit funny to me! glad you got it figured out though!!!!

Yeah, it's ok to laugh guys. I have to laugh at myself for that one. (Damn I thought the world ended.)LOL!!!! :lol::lol:

Sittin across the street from a gas station, and not even knowing your out of gas, spending 3 hours to figure it out. Damn.........STUPID MAN!!!!! ( Repeatedly banging head on wall here.) LMAO!!!!!

Smoothe, just a few months ago I had my Toyota landcruiser over heat from a bad thermostate, my check engine light didn't work, no lights came on the dash to warn me and I was on the freeway...The car started to spudder and I then noticed the temp needle was beyond red... Smoke was coming out the back...I said OH SHEEET!!! Pulled over as soon as could but it was too late...

Blew the head gasket and suffered a compression freeze up, bad knocking too....Towing the car was hell....Needless to say I sold the truck as is about a month or so ago... Now that is a bad story.. as this Land Cruiser of mine was perfect in every way... All happened because of $10 part.

Smoothe you got off lucky..

*BLEEP* smooth! i just saw all this new stuff! glad to see it all together and running man, it sounds like you're having a blast. other than the whole running out of gas thing :lol: but at least it wasn't something worse right? anything that can happen, will.. even a mechanic running out of gas :)

i'm loving these kill stories man, keep 'em coming.

( But I have to say that to CRUSH his hopes was nice.) :D He literally just gave up after a few hundred feet. LOL!!!

especially stuff like that!

video soon maybe?

and speaking of mustangs.. just watch this video with your sound on, it's funny:

Ok, I'm gonna get in to trouble if I keep this up, but I killed a BMW M3. It was a wide open race too. No cars in the way, no having to slow down except when we came to the light together. He had his M3 lookin all nice too. Drift rims, custom tint, exhaust system, and it looked like he had some lip extensions, and it was a 03-05. When I looked in my rearview mirror I noticed the headlight shape. ( LOL!!)

Anyway, I'm rolling along and he turned on to the road and came up next to me. I looked over and saw what it was. At first I thought it was a 3 series, but then I noticed the side vents. Then the road ahead seemed to just stretch forever and my heart dropped into my gut as the light turned yellow, and then red just as we pulled up. I have to say I was nervous. This in my opinion would be the first real test of the turbo. So I give it a quick rev, and then he gave his a few revs. I knew we were on then. So, I'm trying to look at the light for the cross traffic so I can see when the light is going to turn, I rev it up a little, but careful not to rev it too high, ( I'm still running a stock tranny and tq converter.) The light didn't seem to change, it jumped, and then I hear him break the tires loose and I see him pull out on me about a car length. I'm praying the tranny will hold as the turbo kicks in and the car switches to second gear. Now we're moving together, he's not pulling away, and I'm not either, then I feel the car shift to third, and the power of the turbo can now be put on the ground as the tq converter locks up, and then I just pull away from him like he was suddenly dragging a huge wieght behind him. Then it shifts to 4th gear and all 450 ponies are galloping now, I look down and I'm doin about 130 and the needle is be magnetically drawn to the 155 print. I still have fifth, so I look in my rearveiw mirror and I was releived and pleasantly stunned. He was about 100 feet behind me.

So I'm looking ahead and we are coming up to where there are intersections again, so I back out of it and slow down. He catches up and as we come to the intersection the light is red, there are no cars around, and I'm thinkin round 2. The light turns green, and we do it again, and as soon as I hit third gear, it's "SEE YA!!" . My turn is coming up and we were now coming into town where traffic is, so as we pull up to the next light, I'm in the inside lane about 2 cars back and he was in the outside lane 1 car back. I saw him looking in the sideview mirror at me and the car, and as the light turned green and I pulled by him he cracked his window and gave me a nod. I nodded and smiled back, gave him a quick peace out and made my turn.

BMW M3, off the hit list.

Smoothe, Smoothe, Smoothe..... Good kill....

Those BMW M3's are quick but not lightening fast...I've also raced two new M3's in the last 2 years 0-60mph and I edged them both out...You should be able to waste them with your power output and car weight like you did... Try an BMW M6 next time as those might give you a little better run for your money...

I raced an M6 last year and was neck and neck, really couldn't pull away against the M6... My car is a bit faster today as I am looking for a rematch...

The New Vettes are my nemises... That's the car I've been trying to lick for the longest time..That and the new AMG E55's... Got history behind those two rides...

Smoothe you clean a 400hp C6 Vette and that would be a kill for the ages...Not too many modified Lexus's in the world can do that....

Yo Jibby, I hear every word you said bro. The issue right now is my tranny. I gotta get that taken care of. The tq converter just laughs at me when I open the throttle more than 1/4 until I get to 3rd. gear. Then I can start really gettin on it. I'm losing 100 hp just in the tq converter.

I've been calling around and I think I'm gonna take it to Cottman transmissions and see what they have to say. The guy there atleast knew what he was talking about. If I just upgrade the valve body, throw in some Sprags, boost the pressure, and a new tq converter, I was thinking the Dragon or getting a new billet tqc, set it up for 3500 stall speed. Should be good to go then yeah?